reader

The true jet experience

NOTE -- Getting up close and personal with arriving big jets has been long a traditional draw for many visitors to the island of St. Maarten in the Caribbean but Phuket is now attracting the same thrill-seeking tourists.

From The Nation

4c91d9f2f66b680c450afb9c8169525d.jpeg

A meeting was held yesterday, led by the Phuket International Airport General Manager Petch Chancharoen, to discuss a YouTube post showing photos from the airport’s neighbouring beach.

YouTuber “Donprozento” posted a video on March 10 showing tourists taking photos of an aircraft landing at Phuket. 

The meeting addressed how to prevent potential danger to tourists taking photos and problems that could be caused by a drone.

CCTV cameras have been installed near the area as well as three-metre fences and warning signs. Security staff member are patrolling the area every hour.

“The law will be strictly enforced for any offence. Both Thai and foreign tourists must not take pictures in this restricted area.

Continues with pics and video

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30345724

At first I assumed that photo has to be doctored. The undercarriage is so close to the trees that an accident seems inevitable. Then I saw the video and it is absolutely accurate. Here is a screen shot taken perhaps a second later.

post-10776-0-83543400-1526649917_thumb.jpg

At first I assumed that photo has to be doctored. The undercarriage is so close to the trees that an accident seems inevitable. Then I saw the video and it is absolutely accurate. Here is a screen shot taken perhaps a second later.

There are, of course, no trees in line with the flight path.

Indeed not or that jet would be in several thousand pieces. Yet the angle of the video and the photo do not show the gap leading to the runway. I wonder what happens if strong winds blow a large aircraft slightly off course? Go around I assume, but it does take jet engines several seconds to respond to full power commands. Im certain its all perfectly safe. It just looks scary.