reader

World's longest flight: EWR-SIN

From NYTimes

merlin_138828375_8d2c8b23-ea8a-43d3-89d1

Got 18 hours and 45 minutes?

That’s the length of a new flight between Singapore and Liberty International Airport in Newark. Service on what Singapore Airlines says will be the longest commercial flight in the world begins on Oct. 11. The flights will become daily beginning on Oct. 18.

Singapore Airlines will be the first airline to use Airbus’s A350-900 U.L.R. (for ultra long range) planes, which have extra fuel capacity, are made of a carbon fiber that is lighter than the aluminum of traditional jets and burn less fuel because they have only two engines, compared with the four on many other long-haul jets.

The flights will have 161 seats — 67 in lie-flat business class and 94 in premium economy, which uses bigger seats that have more legroom than traditional coach seats but do not have the ability to become a bed.

“The nonstop flight length is at least about two to three hours shorter than the one stopper, maybe even four hours,” in terms of door-to-door travel time for most customers, said Mak Swee Wah, the airline’s executive vice president, commercial. The company has not yet released pricing information.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/30/business/newark-singapore-longest-flight.html

. The company has not yet released pricing information.

from the sound of it , it will not be very cheap. 

on long haul flights it may be actually good idea to have some break  at connection, if only to keep blood circulating  even at exponse of few additional hours

unless you live in or your ultimate destination is the NY area I think it makes more sense to connect elsewhere to break up the trip. Even in business class almost 19 hours is tough. Since I would need to connect anyway I think it makes more sense to change in Tokyo or HKG or ICN.

Cathay is adding a flight from Washington to HKG in September. I am hoping to give that a try at some point.

As for the Cathay flight from Washington, the fares are starting very high. It would be a very good flight for me , but I was looking at PE fares. $1000 higher than just going up to New York. Hopefully they adjust.

There's another innovation in the works that may well have a greater impact than the Airbus 350-900ULR. Boeing has announce a new generation of its workhorse wide body 777 that will be larger but featuring folding wingtips that will allow it to fit into existing wide-body gates.

From UPI

The Federal Aviation Administration has signed off on proposed designs for the newest version of Boeing's 777, which will feature retractable wings.

Boeing said the 777X design will expand the wingspan to 235 feet. That's too wide for most airports, so the tips of the wings can retract and reduce the span to 212 feet -- small enough to continue using terminals designed for older 777s.

The wings won't fold while in flight, only while the plane is on the ground. Engineers have developed primary and secondary latch systems that will keep the wings fully extended during flight.

The standard wingspan is just under 200 feet. By contrast, wings on Boeing's 787 measure 197 feet and 117 feet on its 737.

A wider wingspan boosts fuel-efficiency by lowering drag. The 777X will carry as many as 425 people.

Continues with video

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2018/05/25/Boeing-777X-to-have-retractable-wings-a-first-for-passenger-travel/7521527255838/?spt=rrs&or=3

On the Newark to Singapore direct flight...

Is there information on the flight back to Newark from Singapore against the headwinds?  Which might be out of range.

According to Bloomberg, Singapore has purchased/ordered 7 of there long haul planes.

Good question. Couldn't find anything specific about the new service but going back four years ago when Singapore was flying an Airbus 340-500 non-stop on the same route in a 100-seat, all-business class configuration, think I found the answer.

Flight Aware shows SQ21 departing Newark and flying a polar route over Canada, the ice cap and down over Russia, China and SE Asia into Singapore, in a flight time of 18 hours and 4 minutes.

Flight Aware shows SQ22 departing Singapore and flying an easterly route over the Aleutians, Alaska, Canada and down into Newark, in a flight time of 18 hours and 47 minutes.

If the airline flies the same route on the EWR-SIN leg, think I might be a bit uncomfortable in a twin-engine aircraft flying so far from an airport while over northern Canada and the ice cap. Wouldn't have any qualms on the return flight as it mimics the route I've flown many times (with stops in Tokyo) on other carriers in 777's.

Here are links to those flights that show routing.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SIA21

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SIA22

Guest abang1961

I'm from Singapore and I don't think this is going to be a successful venture.

Unless one is hard-pressed for time, there is really little advantage in taking a direct flight to the States.

First and foremost, the cost is a major consideration.  For all non-business travellers, saving on airfares and hotels are paramount considerations.  I certainly don't want to travel with a bunch of snobs and stiff upper lips!

Secondly, I have the concern about cabin pressure.  I certainly need to get out of the plane to breathe normally once every 10 to 12 hours.  I like to be able to vex my "non-existent" muscles every now and then.

Thirdly it concerns SAFETY.  Call me paranoid but I prefer the plane to be refilled every now and then.  Imagine eating microwaved food for 18 hours - not exactly my cup of tea.