reader

A good read

Can recommend The Sympathizer (Viet Thanh Nguyen), winner of the 2016 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

Set in Saigon, Los Angeles, Thailand and reunified Vietnam, it touches on topics readers here have discussed from time to time: loyalty to boyhood friends, corruption, the war, Viet culture and discrimination experienced by those of mixed heritages.

It's a thriller that's difficult to put down and would be, I think, ideal for a long international flight. Available in paperback.

Can recommend The Sympathizer (Viet Thanh Nguyen), winner of the 2016 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

Set in Saigon, Los Angeles, Thailand and reunified Vietnam, it touches on topics readers here have discussed from time to time: loyalty to boyhood friends, corruption, the war, Viet culture and discrimination experienced by those of mixed heritages.

It's a thriller that's difficult to put down and would be, I think, ideal for a long international flight. Available in paperback.

+1 I join in recommending the book. there's also an inexpensive "book club guide" that gives some helpful info.  The Refugees is a collection of short stories also excellent.

+1 I really enjoyed the book which was available on my UK Kindle

7f4526c5e8863db32d7fb15a868ef201--soccer

In anticipation of the World Cup, currently reading The Language of the Game: How to Understand Soccer (Laurent Dubois).

Can't disagree with author's introductory remarks:

“Soccer is sensual. It is about the pleasure of watching athletes’ bodies, their faces, their motion, admiring and commenting on their hairstyles and tattoos. When we talk and write about soccer, we evoke—more often unconsciously than consciously—its sensuality. Its role as a source of pleasure……Soccer may be the most tantric of sports. Some of the greatest and most riveting of games end 0-0. Perhaps what is truly sensual about soccer is that it is about interplay, relationships, motion between people, all tied up with our deepest and most mysterious emotions.”

china.jpg?fit=1800%2C1144&ssl=1

atsuto-uchida-haircuts2.jpg?itok=CGLmWiQ