reader

World's best airport

From CNN

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam

Singapore (CNN) — A 250-meter-long bouncing net three stories above ground. A 50-meter-long suspended bridge with glass-panel flooring.

Walking trails amongst a lush jungle of animal-shaped topiaries in a five-story terraced garden. A 40-meter-tall waterfall cascading from an opening in a vaulted glass roof canopy. An art sculpture made up of four giant, integrated slides.

And that's just scratching the surface.

The thrilling attractions at Singapore's SGD$1.7 billion (US$1.27 billion) Jewel Changi Airport, an addition to Changi Airport due to open in 2019, will boost the already impressive offerings of a facility that's been voted best in the world for six years in a row.

With its "delicate" latticework of glass panels framed in steel, the distinctive donut-shaped Jewel is first and foremost a central hub, connecting three of Changi Airport's current four terminals.
But it's also potentially a destination in its own right, featuring a large mall to entice locals and visitors alike.

Conceived by Moshe Safdie as a new "magical garden," hopes are high that the award-winning architect's impactful building will become as celebrated as his Sky Pool at Marina Bay Sands.

Continues with video

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/jewel-changi-airport-singapore/index.html

Guest abang1961

Why am I not surprise that Singapore had upped her game again?

Funny that Singapore is the most expensive city in South East Asia but yet, continues to attract lots of tourists annually.

This is just my preference

Food - yes the variety here is as diverse and honestly, where can you get a 1-star Michelin for USD 2.50.   Inspections are conducted regularly, so food hygiene is not a problem.  And because of the many clusters of hawkers in food courts and hawker centres, the quality of food is fairly high.

Retail therapy - No, this is one of the weakest sector here.  Clothes are cheaper in Malaysia and for the same price, Thailand's Platinum is still my favourite haunt.   

Sights - OK, one visit to Gardens by the Bay is never complete without the Light Show (free) followed by the Laser Show at Marin Bay Sands (free).  The colonial heritage area around Raffles City is worth an afternoon stroll.  

Transport -  One of the attraction here is the MRT and the buses.  The fare from the airport to downtown is about USD 1.20 and isn't it amazing that the fare to the same destination is the same for both MRT and buses.  Try the double deck buses - it is one for the kids.

Arrival and departure - this could be the highlight of the trip.  Terminal 4 is fully self-service...Terminal 5 which is the focus in the article above should be something to venture...  All shops in Changi Airport (even those in the common area, before you check in for your flights) are GST-free...  That means, you save about 7% and do not need to queue with rowdy Chinese mainlanders for GST Refund.

All shops in Changi Airport (even those in the common area, before you check in for your flights) are GST-free...  That means, you save about 7% and do not need to queue with rowdy Chinese mainlanders for GST Refund.

Quick question. Are the items on sale at Changi really cheaper than in town? I realise that heavy tax items like booze, cigarettes  and perfumes normally are (or should be), but then doesnt it depend where you shop in town? When I pass through airports in Asia, most of the time I find prices are actually more expensive than in-town. And the reason is the huge retail space rental charges and sales commissions the airports impose. 

An example is perfume/colognes etc. Go to the high volume in-town discount perfume stores like Sasa and you can obtain most of the items cheaper than at the airport. At one of the regions main cities I can still buy brand name champagne in-town quite a bit cheaper than at its major airport! 

Aesthetically, though, I do find Changi a remarkable airport. I would rather spend a delay there than at any other airport I have been through!

Guest abang1961

Yes, perfumes are always cheaper in town as shops like SASA and Mustafa parallel-imports them.  

In addition, promotions in town are never the same in duty-free shops.

Departmental stores usually give "extras" during their promotions.

However, shops like Watsons do offer 7% off their downtown prices - not much difference unless you are bulk-buying.

Real case :

The items in Boots in Thai airports are costlier than those in town.

Yes, by a margin of about 15%.

And that 5% discount on Boots products cannot be used at the airport.

Naraya in the airport is not duty-free.

The prices are the same as in downtown.

It is better to shop at that shop in Patpong where you can get up to 20% discount on items from previous collections.

Just in case, Naraya is this... bags with a big bow... 

Cheap gifts for aunties...(around THB 250 to 500)

free-shipping-Bag-naraya-bag-in-bangkok.