vinapu

Tokyo Boys - new boy bar at Patpong

380x2 + 600 = 1360

Tokyo Boys & almost Tokyo pricing.

Inclusive of all fees, it's about JPY 15000 for short time in Tokyo, so 4500 baht.

Maybe 3~3500 in Bangkok. In Tokyo you would get precisely 1 hour of high quality service, in the only country that I know of where the boys have a better attitude than Thailand.

In Bangkok, short time from the bars is typically under an hour.

Of course, there is a huge price differential between the countries for long time.

Guest abang1961

I believe the boss is trying to recoup his investment as soon as possible when there is still curiosity during this honeymoon period.

Once the novelty wears off, prices have to fall - it is a supply vs demand, Economics 101. He must have a harem of POSTER boys to justify charging the high prices. Otherwise quite sadly, this business venture is doomed to fail from the start.

I don't know about this bar business but the general rule of thumb is that the investment should be recouped by the 10th month.

After that, the revenue should offset the expenditure.   However, with most entertaining venues, the shelf-life is just 2 years before a newer establishment takes over.

Prices are on high side but they may being testing what market will bear. Just heartened to hear that another contender has entered the market on Patpong 2.  I'd like to believe that the Surawong end of the soi will become the successor to Twilight. The location IMO has much going for it, especially ease of access and 24/7 foot traffic.  Soi 4 is a 5-minute walk and there are plenty of massage shops in neighborhood. Not ready to give up on brick-and-mortar yet.

The bars are I think now too pricey...for visitors ok,,,staying few days,,$$$ to spend on this..but for those living in BKK..I feel the prices are too high..

I agree but as always in such a cases there are 4 solutions, scale back on activities or gnash your teeth and pay or try to bargain it down or find cheaper sources, beauty of Thailand is that all of above are available.

Particularly those living there or even on longer vacation can easily built whole schedule for boys outside of their working hours.

If I were the boss  first off I would not charge an off fee. Of course TiT.

I'd be happy beneficiary of such a situation but realistically - what kind of boss would run a business giving stuff for free in the beginning to a customers who may not even show up again? 

Prices are on high side but they may being testing what market will bear. Just heartened to hear that another contender has entered the market on Patpong 2.  I'd like to believe that the Surawong end of the soi will become the successor to Twilight. The location IMO has much going for it, especially ease of access and 24/7 foot traffic.  Soi 4 is a 5-minute walk and there are plenty of massage shops in neighborhood. Not ready to give up on brick-and-mortar yet.

We shouldn't forget that patpong side of street has longer opening hours, at 1 when soi closes, Screwboys is starting their second show

I'd be happy beneficiary of such a situation but realistically - what kind of boss would run a business giving stuff for free in the beginning to a customers who may not even show up again?

In most places, the center collects everything so in case of a bar, u pay one fee, and the boy gets their cuts from the bar after. Either way, bar/center will always gets their cuts anyway unless the boy go freelance. Thai bar are just being honest of what the bar gets and i think they should be applaud for being upfront.

Gogo bars & the associated services have got more expensive over the last 10 years or so.

Some of that is down to price increases & some is down to currency movements.   Considering simple economics, we shouldn't expect an indefinite disparity in incomes that permits working & middle class westerners to fly to places like Thailand & hire prostitutes cheaply.  

The reality is prices have gone up & quite possibly may continue to go up, particularly if measured in our own currencies.

So we need to deal with that.

At home, financial solutions could include ensuring we're maxing out our incomes, investing it wisely & not spending large sums putting a depreciating BMW on the drive, or spending about £5000 a year at Starbucks.

On holiday, it would be almost a waste of a holiday not to splash out and visit some gogo bars whilst in Bangkok.   

However, doing that continuously for 2, 3, 4 weeks would be rather expensive.  So having seen the gogo bars, it's not difficult to switch to Planet Romeo, travel down to Pattaya or go on a more varied tour of SE Asia, checking out what's on offer via the phone apps. 

I'm waiting for Qatar Airways to offer ticket prices similar to what I paid in the past. My trip is in September but if fares don't come down to earth I may go to Brazil instead. The USD is getting strong there.

I wonder if we will see 41 bht to the usd again? Could happen?

Quite a few good fares out there to Bkk starting in September. But Qatar is one where you will have hard time finding low fares.

They are going through some internal money issues and changing up lots of services. Their fare are going up. But they did just have a great fare sale out of Miami for September and October. Over now, but you do have to check fares constantly if your looking for really cheap fares.

Good to hear of the new Tokyo Boys. I will look when I'm back in a few weeks. Last month Screwboys bar were cheaper at 300 bt for a beer and 500 bt off fee but great to see more boy bars on Patpong soi 2. I've had one drink at the new Freshboys up the stairs above those bars. Are they still doing what appears to be a soft opening?

I've had one drink at the new Freshboys up the stairs above those bars. Are they still doing what appears to be a soft opening?

yes , at the time they operate both outlets  , in soi Twilight and above Screwboys , they put  show  in new place even if thertec were only 2 customers myself included when I was there Friday night

Lip syncing ladyboys, outrageous drink prices, shower scene with boys in briefs. Sounds like they keep the modern Soi twilight spirit alive even if not located there.

I think asiaguys.net had many good points in their recent article about the decline of Bangkoks gogobars, such as

many of Bangkok’s gay go-go bars have lost their appeal as that of the apps has gained ground and prices been hiked. Why pay up to Bt. 500 for a drink, the same for the drink of the boy of your choice, another 500 as an off fee and a further 1,500 or more as the short-time tip at the end. The total cost of visiting and using the go-go bars is considered too expensive for many. Even the experience has been greatly diminished. The fun element so evident in earlier years has largely disappeared. Obvious boredom up on many stages has become more or less standard.

Instead of tormenting ourselves with memories of glorious past  , often too rosily tinted why don't look at full half of glass ?

I honestly do not agree with the rosy tinted spectacle analogy. Entering a gogo bar 15, 25 or even 35 years ago there was a sort of gob smacked disbelief “Wow! Am I really seeing all this?” The quote in Hanans post really does sum it up pretty well. Those bars were tremendous fun. That fun element has all but disappeared and been replaced with routine boredom and boring routines. He could have added that gogo bars are now exclusively for a dwindling band of tourists. Thais used to flock to them. What happened to them? A business model dependant almost exclusively on short term visitors can never survive unless it is constantly reinventing itself. Remember there are not so many posters in this forum. Since they have been making increasingly negative comments about the experience, is it strange that writ large this will also be felt by the much larger group of gay tourists?

I had friends here from the USA a few weeks ago. They too were bored. I doubt if that would have been the reaction a few decades back. These guys are not into massages with happy endings. They prefer overnight. They did check the apps but as it was their first visit to Bangkok and they had a lot of sightseeing during the days, they found it not so easy to hook up with guys they thought they would like because it took too long to set up hook ups. They had set aside their evenings for fun. What they found was more than disappointing. Their highlight was Babylon, which they really enjoyed and was inexpensive.

Different strokes for different folks. Vinapu's report about his 90 minute massage at Senso for 1,490+1,500 tip to me is outrageous. But he was happy. American tourists can just as easily go to Sydney or Melbourne where they will instantly find many hundreds of cute Asians on the apps most of whom just want to meet up and have no interest in pay for play. Go to South America and they will find vast numbers of smooth slim sexy guys waiting. Most may want a small tip but the sex is usually amazing!

If Thailand bar operators continue to concentrate on a dying outmoded model and continuously increasing prices, they are bound to die out. Just look at Sunee Plaza in Pattaya which was thriving 10 years ago but where yet another bar has just announced it is closing. I put its survival as a couple of years at most.

The gay world has become global. For those who enjoy Thailand, great. Keep on coming. Unfortunately many who would normally have Thailand top of their list have already voted with their feet.