reader

Best Massage -- not

In the 17 years of coming to Bangkok I've had the full range of massage experiences from great on on down the scale to disappointing and one or two outright bad. But this is the first time I've had one that escapes definition. Here's how it came about--or actually didn't.

On the previous day when just about to enter the SuperRich main location on Silom, two guys wearing Best Massage shirts walked past and made eye contact. I glanced back just before going in the door and one had his head turned smiling at me. After doing my business, I took the short walk to the shop on the first level of complex that also houses Arena Massage. There I found five guys and asked the one who smiled at me his name. Let's call him "Rock." I tell him I'll be back for a massage from him and he thanks me.

Jump to today about 3:15 and I return to the shop and ask guy at reception for Rock. He dispatches another guy to get him. After about 5 minutes Rock appears. He's not smiling and looks a bit under the weather. But this is Thailand so I assume he'd been napping.

He leads me to a large but really hot room on the second floor. He closes a window that had been emitting a hot breeze, tosses a towel on the table and says "take shower" and disappears.

After showering and toweling off, I'm becoming more aware how hot this room is. I attempt to start the air conditioner but it doesn't seem to have a power source. I sit on the table for almost 10 minutes and no sign of Rock. Cut your losses I tell myself and get dressed. As I head toward the stairs, I can hear low snoring from another room. Therein lies my would-be masseur.

When I get down stairs and pull on my shoes I inform the reception guy that a Rock is fast asleep.

"Very sorry," he offers.

I thank him for the use of the shower and leave.

In the 17 years of coming to Bangkok I've had the full range of massage experiences from great on on down the scale to disappointing and one or two outright bad. But this is the first time I've had one that escapes definition. Here's how it came about--or actually didn't.

On the previous day when just about to enter the SuperRich main location on Silom, two guys wearing Best Massage shirts walked past and made eye contact. I glanced back just before going in the door and one had his head turned smiling at me. After doing my business, I took the short walk to the shop on the first level of complex that also houses Arena Massage. There I found five guys and asked the one who smiled at me his name. Let's call him "Rock." I tell him I'll be back for a massage from him and he thanks me.

Jump to today about 3:15 and I return to the shop and ask guy at reception for Rock. He dispatches another guy to get him. After about 5 minutes Rock appears. He's not smiling and looks a bit under the weather. But this is Thailand so I assume he'd been napping.

He leads me to a large but really hot room on the second floor. He closes a window that had been emitting a hot breeze, tosses a towel on the table and says "take shower" and disappears.

After showering and toweling off, I'm becoming more aware how hot this room is. I attempt to start the air conditioner but it doesn't seem to have a power source. I sit on the table for almost 10 minutes and no sign of Rock. Cut your losses I tell myself and get dressed. As I head toward the stairs, I can hear low snoring from another room. Therein lies my would-be masseur.

When I get down stairs and pull on my shoes I inform the reception guy that a Rock is fast asleep.

"Very sorry," he offers.

I thank him for the use of the shower and leave.

Wow, that's one for the record books.  Sorry for the bad experience (but a great story).

Sounds like the woman who the manager wasn't there...

In my experience it's sort of a mixed-bag place.  Inconsistent.

Wow, that's one for the record books.  Sorry for the bad experience (but a great story).

Sounds like the woman who the manager wasn't there...

In my experience it's sort of a mixed-bag place.  Inconsistent.

was it you who had massage at King ( ? ) spa and had a guy falling asleep when massaging you?

I remember such story .

Reader's adventure reminded me popular tune of my long gone youth  ' luck smiles only once ", had he followed that smile day before outcome could be very different .

Best is to chalk it over to experience and move on, it could be actually even justifiable reason ( tooth pain and guy sedated himself with overdose of pain killer ) but still manager on duty should be aware and tell client about possible problem. 

I agree , great and unusual ( thanks God ) story 

Ive had a few stories of bad massages but never one similar to this lol. One that come close was the masseur dozed off a couple of time when massaging me which I returned with a gentle grabs of his arms since i am his regular, and he is usually good. If in the few minutes of massage and i find the masseur style didnt suit me, due to either very different massage skills or just dont know how to massage, id actually go and ask the counter to swap.

Reader's adventure reminded me popular tune of my long gone youth ' luck smiles only once ", had he followed that smile day before outcome could be very different .

It had crossed my mind but since I was in possession of 22,000+ in bht from SuperRich I opted on side of caution.

My bottom line for this humorous bit of massage trivia:

(1) the lad needed his sleep more than the income

(2) I did indeed dodge a bullet

(3) should have have trusted my initial instinct that "Rock" was destined to be a dud even if me managed somehow to stay awake

(4) there are ample good massage reviews but I can now claim one of the more unique