brall3

Chiang Mai LIMO SERVICE

Does anyone have information about limousine services, or something similar to Uber, in Chiang Mai?

WHile in Chiang Mai I will need to go to a small village located about an hour's drive from the city center. Thanks.

You can use Grab, which is similar to Uber.  Uber ended on April 8.  An hour's drive away is quite far; would you mind telling us where the village is?  Alternatively you can make an arrangement with a songtaew driver but make sure he knows where you're going, I mean really knows.  You don't want to end up in the general area and end up going round and round searching for your exact destination.

The orphanage is located in a very small village outside of a small town called Mae Rim (according to translation). The name of the place and very precise directions are written in Thai with a very clear map. The location is about an hour's car drive from the city. Does this help in providing info requested in my original post? Thanks.

Mae Rim is essentially a suburb of Chiangmai and not at all very far....like 6-8 miles north/northwest of the city.  There are baht busses (songteaws) that go there all the time....like every 30-60 minutes?  You can catch the songteaws to Mae Rim at Worarot Market (called Kad Luang by most Thais) and the fee is like 20 baht.  Once in you're in Mae Rim, simply grab a local baht bus or tuk tuk for your trip out to the orphanage.  Oh, would note that the songteaws to Mae Rim are yellow in color (and you'll see Mae Rim written in Thai -แม่ริม- on the songteaw sign). I would think the people at the orphanage could easily get you transportation back to wherever you're staying in Chiangmai...or either tell you where to grab the yellow songteaw back to town or actually haul you to a pickup spot. 

But you likely can use Grab to get there too or simply hire a taxi or general songteaw to take you there...but taking a yellow songteaw from Worarot Market would definitely be the cheapest option.  Wherever you're staying in Chiangmai very likely could arrange for a driver for you too (but, of course, more expensive).  But, if you don't mind paying the money (I'm guessing it would cost 1000 baht or so for a half day with a driver?), a private driver would certainly be the most convenient. 

Would strongly advise that you have in Thai writing the name, address, and telephone number of the orphanage. It may come in very handy.  You mention that the place you're going is an hour's drive from the Chiangmai city center but I'm not sure how far that means in distance from what we would call "downtown" Mae Rim.  Just getting there during the bad traffic times would take 30-40+ minutes.  Anyway, good luck. 

Thanks. I could make out the name of one town Mae R. but the place I am going to is beyond Mae R. Yes, we were provided excellent directions and a map in Thai, but choose not to drive there in the rental car. That is why we want to rent a limo or private car service. Of course we prefer to do business with those who members of this board recommend. Word of mouth after an experience is an excellent form of advertisement

Thanks. I could make out the name of one town Mae R. but the place I am going to is beyond Mae R. Yes, we were provided excellent directions and a map in Thai, but choose not to drive there in the rental car. That is why we want to rent a limo or private car service. Of course we prefer to do business with those who members of this board recommend. Word of mouth after an experience is an excellent form of advertisement

In addition to the address details you already have, make sure you have the contact no. of someone at the orphanage who can direct you or your driver to the orphanage in case you get lost.  Should you use Grab, speak to the driver before you set off and ask him whether he or she would mind waiting for you for the return journey for a pre-negotiated price.  They might be amenable to the idea as they would likely return back to the city with no fare otherwise.

The yellow commuter songtaews suggested above may be a quaint, rustic and cheap way to travel for the farang but I wouldn't recommend it as it might get crowded with passengers and make many stops along the way.  Seating at the back of a songtaew with their low ceilings and narrow benches can get quite uncomfortable for a somewhat long-ish  journey in September and, depending on the time of day, you might have to jostle for space with sellers from the market and their wares.

Mae Rim is an amphoe or district in the central part of Chiang Mai province.  Are you perhaps going to Baan Vien Ping or Vien Ping Orphanage in Tambon Donkaew? In the city itself, you might want to visit Baan King Kaew in Wualai Road (en route to the Airport Plaza) for an example of a well-run orphanage.  It can be a very sad and very heart-warming experience.

Guest finally

Google: Ben s taxi service Chiang Mai and check his website. I booked him for 2 trips last year when in Ch. M.with my partner.. ...reasonable price, absolutely reliable and good driver (big Toyota), good English and answers emails immediately.. BTW He seems to know everything about the gay scene in Chiang Mai.

Google: Ben s taxi service Chiang Mai and check his website. I booked him for 2 trips last year when in Ch. M.with my partner.. ...reasonable price, absolutely reliable and good driver (big Toyota), good English and answers emails immediately.. BTW He seems to know everything about the gay scene in Chiang Mai.

Your post brings back happy memories of a couple of trips booked with Ben must be about five years ago.

One trip in particular from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai White Temple, Black House, a tea plantation and Golden Triangle was a long and great day out.

Good to hear he is still going strong and I agree he has a comfortable big car and is a safe driver