reader

Expect 670,000 fewer tourists

From South China Morning Post

The boat accident that claimed the lives of 47 Chinese nationals off the Thai resort island of Phuket last month has shone a spotlight on the kingdom’s poor safety record and spread unease among tourism authorities and the government.

The Ministry of Tourism and Sports said last week it had revised down its forecast for the number of Chinese arrivals for July to December by nearly 670,000, to 5.1 million, but insisted that Thailand would still achieve its target of 11 million Chinese tourists in 2018.

The Phoenix was carrying 105 people – mostly Chinese – when it capsized in rough weather while returning from a popular snorkelling site on July 5. It was among three vessels that ventured out in spite of a bad weather warning.

Chinese tourists accounted for almost a quarter of Thailand’s 35 million visitors in 2017, according to the ministry. The country expects to welcome 40 million tourists in 2018, with 20 million already reported in the first half of the year.

There are signs, however, that concerns among Chinese tourists about Thailand’s safety record are beginning to be felt.

The Bangkok Post, citing industry sources, reported that 7,300 hotel rooms in Phuket had already been cancelled for July and August as of late last month.

Kongkiat Khuphongsakorn, president of the Thai Hotels Association Southern Chapter, which includes Phuket, told local media: “The booking rate has fallen sharply by 80 per cent to 90 per cent at Patong beach, and by 50 per cent across the province [Phuket] after the [boat disaster].”

It did not help that Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwon blamed the boat tragedy on Chinese tour operators acting through Thai nominees, who he said were responsible for harming their fellow Chinese. Prawit later retracted his statement under pressure.

Continues with pics and video

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/travel-leisure/article/2159959/chinese-tourist-numbers-fall-phuket-boat-capsize-deaths

The boat accident that claimed the lives of 47 Chinese nationals off the Thai resort island of Phuket...

I read somewhere [quotation needed] that most of them drowned because they could not swim. I learnt swimming at school, so I cannot imagine how someone cannot swim. To my greatest surprise, even some of my Farang friends (from Ireland and Scotland of all places!) cannot swim.

I read somewhere [quotation needed] that most of them drowned because they could not swim. I learnt swimming at school, so I cannot imagine how someone cannot swim.

It is, of course, regrettable if some of the dead could not swim. But to use it as a rationale to explain the incident borders on blaming the victim.

It is, of course, regrettable if some of the dead could not swim. But to use it as a rationale to explain the incident borders on blaming the victim.

My wording was poor. I meant that technically, they all survived the capsizing.

Anyway, I thing I confused that with the accident on the boat to Koh Larn. I could easily swim to shore from a boat that capsizes between Pattaya and Koh Larn, but probably not during bad weather somewhere between Phuket and other islands.

And I read somewhere that drowning is a major cause of child death in Thailand, and most of them would have survived if they could swim.