Guest Zenondine

Is the area around grand palace still active?

Guest Zenondine

Hi, I have read up the thread on this. The saranrom park and area near the grand palace. Are these places still active? Is it advisable to walk there alone at night?

It's still active but not cruisy as it used to be. Peak time is around mid night when boys finish their time in pubs/bars. It's ok to walk around but, as other places, do not bring phone / money...and it's ok.

One more thing, some boys get drunk at that time it's advisable not to get in any problems with them. Simply, keep smiling and use your common sense.

actually there was an announcement today that Saranrom Park will be closed to the public, effective immediately. The new King takes it back to himself, like so many other things, including Dusit Zoo. What he wants with all these things is his secret I guess.... 

Source: https://www.thairath.co.th/content/1382810 (in Thai)

actually there was an announcement today that Saranrom Park will be closed to the public, effective immediately.

I used to go to Saranrom Park on occasion.  That was years ago.  Ever since the advent of the gay hook-up apps I no longer found it necessary and I'd say it's been around 6 years, maybe more, since the last time I went..  I have no idea whether a visit to the park is still worth it, but it for sure was then.  If you've never been there you might want to give it a try.  I never felt in any way unsafe there at any time of night. 

At the time, the action would start about 10:00pm.  It was pointless to go much before 10:00pm because only a few boys were there any earlier.  The action seemed to escalate about 10:00pm and peak between midnight and 2:00am.

At the time, the going rate the boys would ask for was 500 baht.  I have no idea what the rate is now, but I believe the reason for the inexpensive rate was the customer base was mostly older Thais seeking boys and the presence of farang was unusual.  Thais are not about to pay the prices farang are used to paying.

I remember one time I went and there were loads of boys around the Grand Palace, Saranrom Park, and the road between the two.  It seemed to me there must have been at least 100 of them that night and I am not exaggerating.  If anything, I am underestimating.

If Saranrom Park is now closed to the public, that shouldn't matter to either the boys or potential customers.  When I would go, the boys were never actually in the park at all.  They plied their trade around the perimeter of the park.  That makes sense because most of their Thai customers would just drive their cars in circles around the park until they spotted a boy they wanted.  There were plenty to choose from.  They rarely parked and got out of their cars, so there would be no reason for the boys to actually be inside the park.

One thing I never knew, and still don't know, is how cruising action first got started at Saranrom Park or how long ago that was.  What I am curious about is whether there are other similar cruise areas in Bangkok that we just don't know about yet.  It would seem to me that in a city the size of Bangkok, there probably are.  Your job - find them . . .

I went their once several years back.     There were not that many boys and certainly not a nice selection of twinks like you might find in the gogo bars.     Eventually I found one who just about came up to standard.   I think we agreed 500.   I also paid for the taxi & the drive in short time hotel, which was on the other side of the river.

Back then, I would say the better options were cruising the Silom Centre and going to the gogo bars.     Now I would say it's the phone apps and the gogo bars.

What I am curious about is whether there are other similar cruise areas in Bangkok that we just don't know about yet.  It would seem to me that in a city the size of Bangkok, there probably are.  Your job - find them . . .

I don't think so. I met boys there (Saran Rom) who came from as far as Samrong. Anyway, with the decline of Saranrom, and in general all venue/location bases gay entertainment (sex cinemas, saunas), with maybe the exception of male massage (or is it just a fluctuation and number of opening businesses is the same as number of closing businesses) I don't think there is any gay activity that has escaped my intensive search.

the decline of Saranrom

That brings to mind my next question.  Given that the most people who go to Saranrom are not farang, but older Thais looking for boys, then if Saranrom is declining available boy numbers, where now do the older Thais go to look for boys?

By chance, I just passed there (Eastern side of Klong Lot at 21:45) by taxi and counted 10 boys, who looked available, and it looked very promising. I should have gotten out of the taxi for a closer inspection!

I'm utterly flabbergasted that you did not. Please tell me you're not slowing down. You're one of my heroes......

I was there a month back and talked to several guys. One guy really peaked my interest and I took him with me. He was great.  There were over 15 other guys working and near 11 PM. I was driving but had a Thai guy with me to interpret and that was needed as the English was very poor. However, the guy was stellar and the time was well worth it.  He only asked for 500 baht and I tipped even more.  I have seen him 2 times since and now he just comes to my place. He is former military and great body. 

I was there a month back and talked to several guys. One guy really peaked my interest and I took him with me. He was great.  There were over 15 other guys working and near 11 PM. I was driving but had a Thai guy with me to interpret and that was needed as the English was very poor. However, the guy was stellar and the time was well worth it.  He only asked for 500 baht and I tipped even more.  I have seen him 2 times since and now he just comes to my place. He is former military and great body. 

sounds great.

I have a technical question, so to speak: You say "took him with me"- to where? Your place? Or a short time hotel? Are there any in the area?

There is former Ruen Rom hotel, now S Hotel 1962 nearby, and several more who rent rooms short time in the 200 to 300 THB range.

I'm utterly flabbergasted that you did not. Please tell me you're not slowing down. You're one of my heroes......

Yes. I'm slowing down.

That day, I left my room 4 pm for 39 underground sauna (where I saw one awesome and several okay boys, but none of them was interested), then met a friend in Pinklao, but on that night he was not in the mood for sex, so I went home. I had two chances, none of them materialized.

Didn't even know he was back in Thailand.

I thought he had left for Taiwan or Germany.

That was earlier this year.