reader

Caning invokes fears in Malaysia

From CNN

(CNN)Two gay women have been caned in Malaysia amid a worsening climate for LGBT individuals in the Muslim-majority Southeast Asian nation.

The punishment of the two unnamed women took place Monday morning in Terengganu, a state to the east of the capital, Kuala Lumpur, according to rights campaigner Thilaga Sulathireth. The state is governed by Sharia law.

Each woman was lashed six times after being caught attempting to have sex in a parked car. They were also required to pay a fine of 3,300 ringgit ($800).

Sulathireth, who witnessed the caning along with around 100 other people, told CNN that it was a "public caning to all intents and purposes," and that one of the judges had said it was the first time a punishment of this kind had been open to the public.

Monday's punishment shows the religious right "flexing their muscles and making clear that the laws against LGBT activity will be enforced in their state," said Linda Lakhdhir, a legal adviser in the Asia Division of Human Rights Watch. Homosexual sex is illegal throughout Malaysia under colonial era criminal law.

The punishment follows a raid last month on one of Kuala Lumpur's only gay clubs, which saw around 20 men charged for "illicit behavior," and a brutal attack on a trans woman in a city close to the capital.

"It's very uncomfortable, (people are) feeling very oppressed right now. People are afraid because this is the first time that two women are being caned for sexual acts," said Numan Afifi of LGBT activist group the Pelangi Campaign.

Continues with photos

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/03/asia/malaysia-gay-rights-lesbian-caning-intl/index.html

Yup saw this in local news yesterday. It is the first ever "public" canning, done in a close court room, with 100 attendees in the court, mixed of court officials, government officers, prosecutors and defendants, as well as the many ngos people. The canning were done not according to civil laws, but shariah law, which is not as harsh. Anyway, these two women having sex in a car out in public when the lgbt issues were a hot political issues is like asking for it and it only shed a bad light on the other lgbt and proving that the islamic party is right in saying lgbt is a social problem.

Yup saw this in local news yesterday. It is the first ever "public" canning, done in a close court room, with 100 attendees in the court, mixed of court officials, government officers, prosecutors and defendants, as well as the many ngos people. The canning were done not according to civil laws, but shariah law, which is not as harsh. Anyway, these two women having sex in a car out in public when the lgbt issues were a hot political issues is like asking for it and it only shed a bad light on the other lgbt and proving that the islamic party is right in saying lgbt is a social problem.

Now you’re blaming the victims and not the perpetrators.

Public canning in 21 century ?

How many lashes former prime minister should get for stealing all those billions from development fund ?

We shall see. He will not be charge under islamic law though. Civil law is definitely much harsher than the limited islamic jurisdiction here

Perhaps what we see in the video is a dress rehearsal before the actual flagellation?

I've seen worse simulation of torture with a whip in some shows in the gay bars of Thailand.

Its an actual video in court case albeit its very old. And the media people who witness the women being canned also testify similarly. The reason of the canning is not to hurt but to educate, at least thats what they claim it to be.

Some other fun facts, the women were caught in the back seat of the car, parked near the independence square, at 1.50pm in the afternoon. They pleaded guilty, given 14 days to appeal and chose not to. According to the law, maximum punishment are up to 3 years jail, up to rm5k($~1.2k) fines and up to 6 canes, and they were served 3.3k fines, 6 canes with no jail time.

I believe this was done fully aware of its impact towards tourism and such. While tourism wasnt malaysia's major income, majority of malaysia's visitors has always been muslim from the middle east, and with recents years, chinese from mainland china, none of which would be affected as much as most western visitors. As with any political issues, majority wins. Heck, even US voted the womanizer, racist, bigot, homophobic orange jay as their president.

One thing for sure, the MB market here is still alive, but it is more secluded now. We have gay centers but its not well advertised, even locals have a hard time finding it without some guidance from others. And with the multiple raids, many have goes freelancing. The pool of boys are good enough for me to have someone to go with almost once a week if i want to lol. And bangkok is just 2 hour flight away.

I certainly agree that people should feel free to go only to places where they feel safe and welcome, but I enjoyed my visit to Malaysia.  Maybe extra discretion is required -- or just no sex tourism there -- just the food and the sights.  But if you otherwise want to go to see a country, I think there are some positive benefits from engagement/normalization when Western/non-muslims visit these countries.  

And Bali is of course it's own beautiful place where I think gays are not at risk, and there's a lot of fun to be had, so no reason to steer clear from Bali.

But I also 100% agree that if people want to boycott a country then they can and should. I'm currently struggling with whether it's appropriate to go back to Myanmar.

I for one could care less about the government policy when i decide my travel destination. It boils down to what the country have to offer that i find interesting and cleanliness and general public attitudes. I stayed away from india/china, and many out of reach area because of this. I am pretty sure i will go there in the future, at least visiting he big cities and tourist area that have well kept facilities one day, but for now, they are not high in my list. I am pretty sure others also have their own criteria on choosing their next vacation destinations.

I have to agree 100% that food here is the main reason why malaysian have the highest percentage of their citizens that is categorically obese lol So hard to resist from taking a bite haha. When i travel locally to other states in malaysia, food hunting is one of my top priorities.

I am done with Malaysia (and Indonesia).

Tourists want fun and safety. If they couldnt have them, bring money to other places (Thailand, Cambodia, Lao, Vietnam...)

That's simple as it is supposed to be.

I completely agree. It is not only a consideration of safety but one of spending my gay dollars in a nation where people like me are in danger. The amount of tourist dollars earned by a nation is not insignificant- it is a source of hard currency. I spend my money were my gay brothers and I are left unharmed. It doesn't have to be a sex vacation just don't cane me if I kiss a consenting guy of legal age.

Nobody is in any danger being caned if he does the kissing and other scandalous acts in the privacy of his locked hotel room.

Any member of the public will find it shocking to see an older farang kissing a teenager in a car parked under a tree, and other overt manifestation of lust outside the bedroom.

Gentleman. I never allow displays of "lust": outside the confines of my bedroom. This is the very reason I have never visited the bars of Sunee - I have no desire to be part of this.  

Also, I know the law only applies to Muslims; however, when I say people like me I mean Gay people. Remember - if we tolerate such egregious violations of human rights then we are party to the abuse.

I make no cause that others should not travel there, only that I will stay away.

The reason of the canning is not to hurt but to educate, ....

That certainly seems to be the case in the video. You could hardly call that caning.

A photo of one of the the Malaysian woman about to be canned appeared to show her wearing some kind of padded vest under her clothes.