TIPS FOR VISITING GOGO BARS

The following guide is written for Thai gogo bars.

Preparation

Before going out for the evening, clean your teeth, use mouthwash, shower & change your clothes.     Why take the risk of hygiene issues putting off your prospective date ?     At home I put fresh clothes on in the morning.   When on holiday, I do this just before going out to the bars.

Place any valuables you are not taking out into the hotel room safe.   Cameras etc.

Ensure your wallet is appropriately filled with enough small notes.   There are numerous cases where you want or need to pay with exact change.   If the service at a bar is slow, or if you want to leave quickly, you need to put exact money in the bin.   Also, if a boy sits with you,  it’s not going to work if you give him 1000 baht and ask for change.

I would typically have:  1000 x 4;   500 x 4;   100 x 10;  50 x 4;  20 x 100

If necessary, pop into a 7-Eleven and buy a 7 baht bottle of water to break a 1000.

Maybe pack a small torch or illuminated magnifier, in case you are checking ID cards in a dark bar later.

Know what a Thai ID card looks like (google it if necessary), as you want to know he is 18 or over.   Alternatively, your lad may have a passport from one of the neighbouring countries.  These have large clear photos, so it is easier to confirm it belongs to the boy in question.

Understand what the going rate is for tipping your lad after any sex.  As this may slowly increase from year to year, search for polls and discussion results on the topic on this site.   Beware that expectations from Bangkok gogo bars seem about 500 baht above those in Pattaya.    [A search for Polls brings up several options like this: http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/topic/11448-poll-2-what-do-you-normally-tip-for-long-time-in-pattaya/?hl=poll

Ensure you have condoms, lube or whatever else you may need in the hotel room.

At the bar.

Be confident & have no fear.   People go to these bars to off lads, so do not be shy. 

Never look like a newbie, as you might find all sorts of wild prices quoted.   Confidently walk into the bar & if the mamasan or the boys ask how many times you have been to Thailand, NEVER say it’s your first time.   Try five times as a better answer.   [i detest lying, but this is one area where it is better to protect your self interest.  Besides, the true answer is none of their damn business & they are probably asking as they will try & up prices if they think you have no clue.  Rather like in a Turkish bazaar]

If you like the bar, sit down & order a drink.   If the boys are not to your liking, it’s OK to walk straight back out.    However, do avoid lingering, enjoying what’s on display whilst trying not to buy a drink.  This is simply bad form.

Do not trust the mamasans (well some are OK, but do understand that some say anything to make a sale). 

The mamasans or waiters may sit down and start talking to you OR keep a polite distance until you ask for assistance.    Remember, you are the customer & as you are paying to look at boys, not speak to some ageing mamasan, if you don’t want them there, ask them to go.

Enjoy the boys.   Some bars have all the boys on stage, others will have some rotation, with a second set of boys who come on stage later.    If that’s the case, remember the number of any boy who you like.

If you identify a boy you like (see section on selecting your boy), you can either engage the mamasan to bring him over, or wave the boy over to sit with you.   If he’s really watching you a few eye movements & some nods may get him over.

Factors to Consider When Selecting Your Boy

Appearance.  You know what you like.

His body language when stood on the stage.   This isn’t a guarantee, but if he looks really miserable & cannot bring himself to look at you, then don’t count on it getting better when he’s in your room.

Intimacy when sat with you.  Hopefully he’s sat close to you and is tactile.    If he’s sat 6 or more inches away, this is a bad sign.   However he may be new & nervous too, so stretch your hands out and pull him closer.   Keep your arm around his waist or a hand on his leg & he should be very comfortable with this.  Start chatting.  His English may be good, adequate or poor, but you are looking for him to be engaged & to make eye contact with you.

After introducing yourselves & making polite conversation, if you want to off him, ask what he likes doing in bed.    If you have specific needs, check each one with him.   Make sure there is no hesitancy in his reply.

If, for example, you have doubts about his willingness to kiss, ask to kiss him there.   Now some might not like doing that in the gogo bar, so I’m not sure refusal should rule him out, but if he makes a really good effort, you can remove any doubts about that & help to rule him in.

Maybe try some discrete fondling.  Be aware that acceptable behaviour varies from bar to bar.   In certain bars, the boys will get everything out on stage.    In others, they will strip off & sit on your lap naked, then if you really desire, suck you off in the bar. However, in the majority of gogo bars, the boys usually keep everything in their underwear & keep up appearances on the premises.    If in doubt, watch what is going on with other customers or wait for the boy to make the first risqué move.

If you want to off him, discuss that.  If you want long time, check if he will do that.    If you MUST have long time, beware that some agree to long time, then try to find some excuse to leave early and do short time.    Both short & long time dates can be OK, but if you really MUST have long time & he agrees, tell him the long time tip is 2000 (or whatever) & the short time is 500 to discourage him from suddenly changing mind even if normal  short time tip is at least twice as much .

Beware, if you plan to come back to the bar, all the other boys will expect the same high tip.

Check his ID card to ensure he is 18.    Check the picture matches his face (which can be difficult, as the pictures on ID cards are small).    Having a small pocket torch can be useful in some bars.

Check the ID BEFORE paying any off fee, even if you are on Soi Twilight.

If doing short time, I don’t usually bring the subject of money up in the bar, as the boys usually have reasonable expectations.    Others always discuss this.     

If he brings the subject of money up and asks for too much (for you), counter with a lower offer.   If he won’t settle at a reasonable price, you have the choice between sending him back to the stage or agreeing to pay the high tip.  Try not to do any prolonged haggling & use my price , your price, yes or no (says Vinapu).    In my experience of Thai boys, either they move on price very quickly or don’t budge, not that I have had to haggle very frequently.

If you don’t want to off the boy, you can tip him and send him back to the stage.  I gather 100 is still OK, but I have usually been paying 150

If a boy sits with you without invitation, feel free to politely ask him to move on & not tip him. 

If you are taking him out, agree the off, pay for the drinks & the off fee.        Leave with your boy.     Be aware that some are reluctant to walk any great distance.

Other Considerations

Arrival time.   The bar might open at 9:00, but not get going until later.   On the other hand, if you go too late, perhaps the best lads will have been offed.     Some will be offed, do short time & come back later.      As an early bird, I would generally aim to arrive between 9:30 and 10:30.

If you return to the same bar another time, your boy might expect you to off him again.  He may even fake being upset if you are going after another lad.     So when you off him the first time, DON’T promise to off him again, tell him you’re a butterfly & say “maybe”.   Also, always remind yourself he would not be coming with you if you were not paying, so feel free to choose who you like, free from guilt.

On the other hand, if you are impressed with the boy & want to see him again, you may want to secure the next appointment right there in your room before he leaves. 

In the hotel, tips are usually paid before he departs. [Actually, in most parts of the world it's a golden rule to NEVER pay your lad until you finished. Thais are better behaved than most, but I still always pay after events].    You should have planned carefully so you have the exact notes to pay him exactly what you intend (and extra if he deserves it).

Always treat the boys with respect, try not to be aggressive & smile.

Have fun.   Even if you forget or ignore all the above, it will probably work out just fine. 

Terminology

Short time = A short sex date, typically 40~90 minutes.    In the worse case, it can be shorter & sometimes is longer.

Long time = Sleeping overnight until 7:00~12:00.

Off fee = Fee paid to bar to take a boy out

Tip (in this context)=  Paid to a boy for his time.  Since prostitution is illegal, you are not paying for services, but tipping him for time.

Comments in BLUE kindly added by Vinapu

The following guide is written for Thai gogo bars.

Preparation

Before going out for the evening, clean your teeth, use mouthwash, shower & change your clothes.     Why take the risk of hygiene issues putting off your prospective date ?     At home I put fresh clothes on in the morning.   When on holiday, I do this just before going out to the bars.

Place any valuables you are not taking out into the hotel room safe.   Cameras etc.

Ensure your wallet is appropriately filled with enough small notes.   There are numerous cases where you want or need to pay with exact change.   If the service at a bar is slow, or if you want to leave quickly, you need to put exact money in the bin.   Also, if a boy sits with you,  it’s not going to work if you give him 1000 baht and ask for change.

I would typically have:  1000 x 4;   500 x 4;   100 x 10;  50 x 4;  20 x 100

If necessary, pop into a 7-Eleven and buy a 7 baht bottle of water to break a 1000.

Maybe pack a small torch or illuminated magnifier, in case you are checking ID cards in a dark bar later.

Know what a Thai ID card looks like (google it if necessary), as you want to know he is 18 or over.   Alternatively, your lad may have a passport from one of the neighbouring countries.  These have large clear photos, so it is easier to confirm it belongs to the boy in question.

Understand what the going rate is for tipping your lad after any sex.  As this may slowly increase from year to year, search for polls and discussion results on the topic on this site.   Beware that expectations from Bangkok gogo bars seem about 500 baht above those in Pattaya.    [A search for Polls brings up several options like this: http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/topic/11448-poll-2-what-do-you-normally-tip-for-long-time-in-pattaya/?hl=poll

Ensure you have condoms, lube or whatever else you may need in the hotel room.

At the bar.

Be confident & have no fear.   People go to these bars to off lads, so do not be shy. 

Never look like a newbie, as you might find all sorts of wild prices quoted.   Confidently walk into the bar & if the mamasan or the boys ask how many times you have been to Thailand, NEVER say it’s your first time.   Try five times as a better answer.   [i detest lying, but this is one area where it is better to protect your self interest.  Besides, the true answer is none of their damn business & they are probably asking as they will try & up prices if they think you have no clue.  Rather like in a Turkish bazaar]

If you like the bar, sit down & order a drink.   If the boys are not to your liking, it’s OK to walk straight back out.    However, do avoid lingering, enjoying what’s on display whilst trying not to buy a drink.  This is simply bad form.

Do not trust the mamasans (well some are OK, but do understand that some say anything to make a sale). 

The mamasans or waiters may sit down and start talking to you OR keep a polite distance until you ask for assistance.    Remember, you are the customer & as you are paying to look at boys, not speak to some ageing mamasan, if you don’t want them there, ask them to go.

Enjoy the boys.   Some bars have all the boys on stage, others will have some rotation, with a second set of boys who come on stage later.    If that’s the case, remember the number of any boy who you like.

If you identify a boy you like (see section on selecting your boy), you can either engage the mamasan to bring him over, or wave the boy over to sit with you.   If he’s really watching you a few eye movements & some nods may get him over.

Factors to Consider When Selecting Your Boy

Appearance.  You know what you like.

His body language when stood on the stage.   This isn’t a guarantee, but if he looks really miserable & cannot bring himself to look at you, then don’t count on it getting better when he’s in your room.

Intimacy when sat with you.  Hopefully he’s sat close to you and is tactile.    If he’s sat 6 or more inches away, this is a bad sign.   However he may be new & nervous too, so stretch your hands out and pull him closer.   Keep your arm around his waist or a hand on his leg & he should be very comfortable with this.  Start chatting.  His English may be good, adequate or poor, but you are looking for him to be engaged & to make eye contact with you.

After introducing yourselves & making polite conversation, if you want to off him, ask what he likes doing in bed.    If you have specific needs, check each one with him.   Make sure there is no hesitancy in his reply.

If, for example, you have doubts about his willingness to kiss, ask to kiss him there.   Now some might not like doing that in the gogo bar, so I’m not sure refusal should rule him out, but if he makes a really good effort, you can remove any doubts about that & help to rule him in.

Maybe try some discrete fondling.  Be aware that acceptable behaviour varies from bar to bar.   In certain bars, the boys will get everything out on stage.    In others, they will strip off & sit on your lap naked, then if you really desire, suck you off in the bar. However, in the majority of gogo bars, the boys usually keep everything in their underwear & keep up appearances on the premises.    If in doubt, watch what is going on with other customers or wait for the boy to make the first risqué move.

If you want to off him, discuss that.  If you want long time, check if he will do that.    If you MUST have long time, beware that some agree to long time, then try to find some excuse to leave early and do short time.    Both short & long time dates can be OK, but if you really MUST have long time & he agrees, tell him the long time tip is 2000 (or whatever) & the short time is 500. 

Beware, if you plan to come back to the bar, all the other boys will expect the same high tip.

Check his ID card to ensure he is 18.    Check the picture matches his face (which can be difficult, as the pictures on ID cards are small).    Having a small pocket torch can be useful in some bars.

Check the ID BEFORE paying any off fee, even if you are on Soi Twilight.

If doing short time, I don’t usually bring the subject of money up in the bar, as the boys usually have reasonable expectations.    Others always discuss this.     

If he brings the subject of money up and asks for too much (for you), counter with a lower offer.   If he won’t settle at a reasonable price, you have the choice between sending him back to the stage or agreeing to pay the high tip.  Try not to do any prolonged haggling & use my price , your price, yes or no (says Vinapu).    In my experience of Thai boys, either they move on price very quickly or don’t budge, not that I have had to haggle very frequently.

If you don’t want to off the boy, you can tip him and send him back to the stage.  I gather 100 is still OK, but I have usually been paying 150

If a boy sits with you without invitation, feel free to politely ask him to move on & not tip him. 

If you are taking him out, agree the off, pay for the drinks & the off fee.        Leave with your boy.     Be aware that some are reluctant to walk any great distance.

Other Considerations

Arrival time.   The bar might open at 9:00, but not get going until later.   On the other hand, if you go too late, perhaps the best lads will have been offed.     Some will be offed, do short time & come back later.      As an early bird, I would generally aim to arrive between 9:30 and 10:30.

If you return to the same bar another time, your boy might expect you to off him again.  He may even fake being upset if you are going after another lad.     So when you off him the first time, DON’T promise to off him again, tell him you’re a butterfly & say “maybe”.   Also, always remind yourself he would not be coming with you if you were not paying, so feel free to choose who you like, free from guilt.

On the other hand, if you are impressed with the boy & want to see him again, you may want to secure the next appointment right there in your room before he leaves. 

In the hotel, tips are usually paid before he departs. [Actually, in most parts of the world it's a golden rule to NEVER pay your lad until you finished. Thais are better behaved than most, but I still always pay after events].    You should have planned carefully so you have the exact notes to pay him exactly what you intend (and extra if he deserves it).

Always treat the boys with respect, try not to be aggressive & smile.

Have fun.   Even if you forget or ignore all the above, it will probably work out just fine. 

Terminology

Short time = A short sex date, typically 40~90 minutes.    In the worse case, it can be shorter & sometimes is longer.

Long time = Sleeping overnight until 7:00~12:00.

Off fee = Fee paid to bar to take a boy out

Tip (in this context)=  Paid to a boy for his time.  Since prostitution is illegal, you are not paying for services, but tipping him for time.

Comments in BLUE kindly added by Vinapu

Indeed Vinapu, I often secure the next date right there. In fact, sometimes if he is great I convert to LT and pay the second fee. He makes out quite well. Hell, a "bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." The last trip I did not do this with one guy I still dream about, I was a fool.

Hell, a "bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." The last trip I did not do this with one guy I still dream about, I was a fool.

Yes, that is my lesson of so many Thai trips - if I really like a boy, I should see him as much as I can afford and he has patience for.

Next trip or even next week he may be gone or may not seem so attractive or may have another favorite customer and I will be ignored.

For some boys of particular beauty I'm even ready to abandon my usual  rule of not offing boys not paying any attention to my presence although I found that tipping boy , say 100 , when he is still on the stage miraculously extracts that elusive smile  not only right away but also several minutes later which makes  easier to invite him for an initial interview .

Never look like a newbie, as you might find all sorts of wild prices quoted.   Confidently walk into the bar & if the mamasan or the boys ask how many times you have been to Thailand, NEVER say it’s your first time.

Excellent comments z909

I think the one above is the one most often overlooked by newbies. The first time in a Thai gogo bar where you think you might want to off a boy in a country you have never visited before can be a daunting experience. So a degree of hesitancy is quite understandable.

I always recommend to visiting friends that when they see the mamasan they immediately smile and say "Sawadee krap. I havent seen you for a long time. Is everything OK?" With the number of tourists entering bars I defy any mamasan to realize he has never seen you before. He then thinks you know the ropes and will not get up to any silly business.

The only other thing to watch for is when the staff return your change. Most bars present the bill in a folder. Some of these have flaps at the side or bottom which it is easy not to notice. And in quite a few cases the waiter will have slipped 2 or 3 10 baht coins in there. When that happens to me I take them out and refuse to leave a tip.

Excellent advice,

One minor thing, I tend to keep an eye on my bin, especially in new bars/agogs, just to keep track of drink prices and how my total is doing. Four beers/drinks in Winner Boys, for example, will be around 400 baht, the same in Toy Boys will be almost 1,000 baht - so if I am in a bar for any appreciable time and drinks are flowing I like to ensure that I will have no problems 'checking bin' later. 

But actually the thing that I most wanted to say was if you go to a bar looking for a boy, or you see the perfect boy, be prepared to alter your plans for the night and just take him there and then. Dont let the opportunity slip through your fingers.

As you might have inferred, I have let this happen to me on more that one occasion.

This last holiday a pretty little twink of a boy called Dah, was top of my bucket list and he worked in Power Boys in Sunee.  Early on in my holiday I started my night of bar hopping at Power Boys and he wasn't there - he had been short-timed. But within 20 minutes he had returned and came and sat with me, along with his even twinkier friend. The rapport was good, everything was good. But I had my mind set on my bar-hopping tour for the evening so I said I wouldn't take him(them) now but come back the next day.

The next day came, and I returned ony to witness Dah and his friend being barfined - and spirited away, first on long long time, and then on a trip home. So I never had the opportunity to off him again in my remaining three weeks.

The lesson being, a bird in the hand ..........

Dah was the biggest regret of my holiday - and I had had my opportunity but failed to take it.

So my advice is be prepared to be flexible - if the opportunity presents itself - take it, even if it throws out your plans for the rest of the evening.

I always recommend to visiting friends that when they see the mamasan they immediately smile and say "Sawadee krap. I havent seen you for a long time. Is everything OK?" With the number of tourists entering bars I defy any mamasan to realize he has never seen you before. He then thinks you know the ropes and will not get up to any silly business.

while idea and advice is great it's good to remember that mamasans and boys are using the same trick to plant  uninvited beside us either because they  mixed us with somebody else or they hope this is fastest  way to domesticate somebody wide-eyed, obviously new.

The only other thing to watch for is when the staff return your change.

this is why z909 advised to be prepared with exact change, bars are dimly lit, our heads may be a little under influence of those drinks and sometimes is confusion about unfamiliar currency , patron thinks he gave 1000 and is getting change from 500.

I also have  a custom of paying for drinks as it goes instead of waiting to final bill at end of visit as math is not where waiter are strongest , specially when drink price is something like 170 or 280.

So my advice is be prepared to be flexible - if the opportunity presents itself - take it, even if it throws out your plans for the rest of the evening.

one can have both , plans and boy.

Quite a few times I secured  boy by paying off fee right away and telling him or mamasan I will pick him up at such and such time. 

I'm not jealous and if they have extra business in meantime I'm all happy for them.

A lot of things have changed since this was written.

I recall seeing this on one of the boards over 10 years ago.

that's very unkind and it's not how z909 was supposed to be thanked for his hard work.

While subject is old and often discussed is great to have all that information systematized and placed in one piece- prime candidate for our ' Timeless " part of forum.

We old hands  should remember that there always newbies lurking for information which may be obvious and boring to some  but completely new to others.

And even old hands may pick up some novel idea which never crossed their mind before - me favorite example is not even boy related - on baht bus heading to Jomtien airport bus station guy chatted me about being anxious no to miss my flight and was greatly surprised that I'm taking airport bus just because I think is easiest and fastest way for me to get to Bangkok.

I saw this and thought I would use it but change to 1,000 as, in Pattaya, that would be OK. In other words, all night means just that, if you leave early we convert to ST even if you've been with me for 3 hours. If we agree all night that is what I want. 

Personally, I found the post very good and worthy of keeping. I don't see it as out of date at all.

Although Z909 mention of 500 baht seemed clear to me, at least 2 members did not get it. The point was that if you want Long Time and it is really important to you  ( Think Vinapu ), then make it clear to the Boy that your offer is 2000 for all night but if he decides to leave after what would be considered Short Time then he will only get 500.  Then a Boy who hates All Night will probably decline since he knows he will only get 500.  No suggestion that 500 was acceptable for Short Time. Just a neat ploy so the Boy understands what you expect in the way of time spent together.

Good that you clarified but since obviously it created confusion,  perhaps  before locking thread  you can edit passage in question in original post to something like  below:

If you MUST have long time, beware that some agree to long time, then try to find some excuse to leave early and do short time.    Both short & long time dates can be OK, but if you really MUST have long time & he agrees, tell him the long time tip is 2000 (or whatever) & the short time is 500 to discourage him from suddenly changing mind even if normal  short time tip is at least twice as much 

The point was that if you want Long Time and it is really important to you  ( Think Vinapu )......., 

I'd have to say I would guess if the boy leaves early anyways most members of this Board and certainly Z909 would still give the boy 1000.

yes , for me Long Time is important simply because I like to wake up with boy beside me and I'm prepared to pay for it.

To avoid time confusion I don't use term ' till morning " but rather ' till breakfast" and true to form I usually invite them to accompany me for breakfast  ( and by the way I ALWAYS ask my long time offs before we go to the room if they want eat something).

In very rare occasion when boys did not stick to their part of bargain and wanted to leave early I either gave them said 1000 even if normally I tip more for a short time or if tipped agreed amount I was never shy to voice politely my displeasure like  ' if you must , go, go but I'm very disappointed" - they sometimes get a message.

I might want to add some about choosing where to sit in a bar. When you enter, by your own effort or being grabbed by the doorman/staff outside, they will pass you to one of the mamasan/manager/waiter which will escort you to a seat. In order to not appear like first timer, i always insist on finding my own preferred seats especially when its not full yet, usually at the back, a bit away from the stage but with clear view of stage and sometimes a bonus view of the boys changing area or gym. Some bar also have upstairs seating that is worth checking out. Try to find place where u can have space for a boy to sit next to you if you do plan to do that.

One more thing, if u go in late into one of the bar (when show is finished) and only want to off a guy, it is worth to say that to the mamasan and avoid paying the drink/entrance fee in favor for an off fee. Bars are usually more flexible when its about closing time, especially when its low season. Ive done this once only in tawan at around 12.30am, and curious if anyone have done this before at other bars. It is no different than if u just pay off fee for a boy so the boy come to your room instead u go to bar, but this way, u can still see the boy on offer, for maybe a minute or two before leaving the bar with your chosen boy.

Indeed this thread is so very informative yet recent, as a newbie in this area I greatly appreciate the detailed responses and tips for venturing into the nightlife in Bangkok.

Just one thing, am I allowed to jerk off the boys within the bar (or will different bars have different rules? Namely: dreamboys, moonlight, Hotmale bar, jupiter2018), then leave a decent tip for them; and allowed to sit there just to fondle each other (around 20 mins?), before moving on to the next boy?

I never saw anything such such risque  in bars named above. Not sure they have rules but i have feeling  is not done there in recent years. Others may chip in with different experience. Soi 6 bars - Tawan , Super A, Golden Cock and Nature boy are more adventurous, I saw hot actions , including one involved girl   in Tawan. 

My guess would be such action will command substantial tip , perhaps even close  to short tip tip. 

Farang rimming one of Tawan boys in the open brought himself to an explosion  but if cost him 2000 tip.

I think Pattaya , specially Sunee bars are better destinations for hard bar fun.