Terry4

Is it possible to be bored in Thailand?

I now feel guilty having been bored on my last trip to Pattaya.

In fact I was so bored after 6 weeks I decided to go to other places to explore and next trip i plan on a different Country altogether.

The thing is everytime i mention this to others or even a wotkmate its like I am the one to blame.

" i never get bored on my vacation" they snap, thrre's always something to do !!

Maybe there was laziness in there?

I had 2 work friends come over to Pattaya for a few days visit, at the same time as me, they are half my age and whilst both gay were more into bungee jumping and the parachuting on Jomtien beach than boy bars, however they did invite me but its not my idea of fun.!

They preferrred more Bangkok but they did say to me to try new things, cant imagine myself bungee jumping though not with my knees.

They have this idea one should be constantly busy all day on their vacation from 6am to 11pm bungee jumping, shopping, eating, gym,

But surely i can be lazy on my vacation without feeling guilty, if i prefer to sit by the pool or watch a movie instead of constantky barhopping isnt that ok?

But thsts why you get bored said my 2 young active friends, your lazy sitting by the pool etc.

And maybe their right, am I mixing up boredom with perhaps laziness?

I started visiting Pattaya in the late 90s and quickly fell in love with it....or rather its inhabitants. However, the go-go bars didn't open until 2100 and there were not the huge numbers of massage parlours that here are now. Nor of malls with a/c (Royal Garden had just opened its lower floors). And no Sansuk of course.

I've never been a fan of Pattaya's beaches but was happy to spend a couple of hours at Jomtien if only because, in those days, the MBs would wander up and down the channels between the deck -chairs and there was always the possibility of a chat. Or more.

The truth is that the hours between about 1600 and 1900 were boring. Apart from a meal and then a Singha in Cocobanana (later Panorama), I'd sit around my hotel room awaiting the magic moment when the go-go started.

I am a 'sex tourist' - not something I widely acknowledge at home of course, but I go to Thailand (Pattaya) to meet boys, rather than visit temples or other places of culture. 

But at my age I have neither the energy, not to mention the money, to be able to party all day - even if there was the opportunity to do so. 

So maybe I wake up at 11am, say 'Good Morning' to my Long Time, and have breakfast, after which the long time usually departs. 

There are a few daily chores to be done, such as laundry trip and ATM, maybe a few things from the 7/11, but then I am scratching my head with what to do with myself.

Sometime I will have made arrangements for a short time visit to my hotel room, but not always (usually depending on how my budget is going), or I might catch up on a few diary notes in case I write a trip report,

But often as not I find myself with a few hours to kill. Later in the holiday I might be taking an afternoon nap to try and keep my energy levels up, but earlier on in the holiday I am often bored.  Thai TV, and badly sub-titled TV films hold little interest for me. So sometimes I will read (I brought a couple of paperback novels with me precisely for that purpose), or I will watch a DVD - cheap enough at the stores, but some of the street vendor knock-offs are reasonably good. 

From 4pm  some of the bars are open (especially in Jomtien), and massage shops (already) available (again budget dependant), Some boys prefer 4pm or 5pm slots for short time visits to the hotel - we can have a leisurley short time, I can feed them, and then they are ready to head off to their bars or agogos. 

I will head out into town around 9pm - bars are open and reasonably full of boys. From then on I can usually keep myself amused until the early hours before heading back to the hotel.

Generally, however, I try and do something (or someone) different each day - easy enough in the first part of the holiday when there are plenty of bucket-list targets to find and see, but, for me at least, less easy towards the end of my holiday when my favourites/regulars are now well entrenched in my diary. 

So to 'cut to the chase', I am never bored with Pattaya or its bars or its boys, but yes there are times of the day when I feel bored enough to nap or read a book LOL

From 4pm  some of the bars are open (especially in Jomtien), and massage shops (already) available (again budget dependant), Some boys prefer 4pm or 5pm slots for short time visits to the hotel - we can have a leisurley short time, I can feed them, and then they are ready to head off to their bars or agogos. 

Thank you!  I swear I have asked numerous times about differences in Jomtien as next trip will be my first time there. No one else thought to mention the bars opening early. Yes! An obvious time to schedule a short time and not have a massage as the only opportunity.

Thank you! 

In the early days, before I found my special friend in Pattaya I used to get bored in the afternoon.

I'd go to the beach in the afternoon to check out the hot guys, but they disappeared quite a while ago. So I started spending a lot of time in Royal Garden and then moved to Central Festival as soon as it opened.

But there's only so many things to look at and buy so that got boring, too.

These days I wake up at lunchtime, surf the net, read the forums and type up my reports. By the time I've finished, my guy turns up and we spend the afternoon together.

We then go out for dinner, usually at Central Festival, and then drop into Starbucks for an hour on so of chatting.

Then, back to the hotel for round two, followed by some more chitchat and watching TV.

He usually leaves around 2am.

So most of my waking hours are spent with him.

No time to get bored!

From my experience if I was traveling with freinds or with long term thai boy as companion I never felt bored and days passed very quickly but in my last trip last year I traveled alone and didn't find the correct Thai boy for long term I must admit that I was bored most of my 4 weeks trip in the LOS although it was a great escape from my demanding and stressing job .

Like kokopelli I like being bored but unfortunately it never happens on vacation , in particular on Thai vacations. Perhaps fact that I'm there 1-3 weeks as well as spending it mostly in Bangkok rather than Pattaya helps to keep occupied.

In fact I always wish I had a bit more time  ( and much more money ).

I sleep very little and wake up usually early which is blessing as I like long times and gentle molestation of sleeping beauty is part of Thai charms.

I walk plenty so it's time consuming obviously although in BKK traffic not necessarily more than sitting in sea on cars, usually have some sightseeing idea to fill day times. When really there's nothing to do there's always book . I don't watch TV , don't go to the movies, shop very little, eat fast and still have that feeling that day is too short. Afternoon hours are perfect for massage as noted above and when darkness falls it's dinner ( only if I'm hungry or there's social situation ) and bar hopping or parking myself in just one.

How one can be bored? I guess it falls to budget issues as most of 'keeping busy ' activities require some outlay , either for daily fun or to take advantage of being there and do some serious sightseeing, not just to nearest mall or Ko Larn. Luang Prabang or Angkor are 1 hr flight away and those are world class , 7 stars attractions.

I believe that with 4-6 in Pattaya some moment of boredom would fall on me during day time but Bangkok is very close and there's always trip report to be written for this forum to kill that yawning.  

I never get bored in Pattaya I keep my trips short just 3 x 28 day trips a year.

Day times are spent by a swimming pool, on the beach or a couple times a week at Sansuk Sauna.

Evenings begin with some nice food, a massage and a general hunt for some interesting sexual pleasure (ie hunting down sexy boys especially Slim African boys)

I would never consider living in Thailand as it would just become common place.

before i go to bangkok, i always plan my trip on what i want to do there. i never felt bored as i always walk by foot. unless the day is very hot or i felt tired, then i will use public transport. i advice to plan your trip as to worth your every moment. when plan to go holiday to thai, always to get know when is the happening events. don't go during rainy season. it may let down a bit as rainy days pour.

I never get bored in Pattaya I keep my trips short just 3 x 28 day trips a year.

Day times are spent by a swimming pool, on the beach or a couple times a week at Sansuk Sauna.

Evenings begin with some nice food, a massage and a general hunt for some interesting sexual pleasure (ie hunting down sexy boys especially Slim African boys)

I would never consider living in Thailand as it would just become common place.

I too make usually 3 trips every year to Pattaya and I cannot remember being bored. I like to keep fit whilst there although the heat and humidity makes it a challenge. I visit a gym nearly every day and swim as well, normally in a hotel pool or sometimes in one at Tony’s 3rd Road.

However the larger part of my days and nights revolves around boys - finding them and enjoying sex with them and even when I’m excercising im thinking about them.

I’ve not as yet encountered African boys, but the idea does appeal to me.

.... don't go during rainy season. it may let down a bit as rainy days pour.

opposite to some northern countries where can rain  for days on , rains in Thailand are mostly 1-2 hour affairs when rains heavily but then it stops. That is the good time to have that lunch , dinner or massage. 

So rainy season is not necessarily bad time to travel. I was there last year at this time and can't say rain derailed anything, mostly because it did not rain that much and always one see it coming.

Only thing we need to be prepared is change of dry clothes and shoes as it takes forever to dry even most lightweight shirt. 

Vinapu, do you know the bars in Jomtien that open late afternoon?

others need to answer as I was in Jomtien only 2 nights and even then I spent my day and afternoon time in central  Pattaya leaving complex when bars were still closed and returning late when everything was opened.

I quite frequently walk through Jomtien Complex on the way back from the beach between 4 & 5:00 pm.    

Most of those bars seem to have some boys at that time, although I do not stop in the afternoon. 

I've never bothered to remember which bar is which there, since they are all open fronted and when I visit in the evening, it's easy enough to walk all the way up the street slowly, then stop at the bar which has the most promising looking staff.

before i go to bangkok, i always plan my trip on what i want to do there. i never felt bored as i always walk by foot. unless the day is very hot or i felt tired, then i will use public transport. i advice to plan your trip as to worth your every moment. when plan to go holiday to thai, always to get know when is the happening events. don't go during rainy season. it may let down a bit as rainy days pour.

Great points, but actually how many of us actually plan our trips

I remember a guy I used to work with many years ago ago who was the most pedantic person and would plan his overseas trips months in advance even going to the extreme of putting in times in and times out to locations.

He even planned what restaurant him and his wife were going to on a certain date and the times!

That is going a bit anal though lol

My first trip to Thailand was with a gay friend and we planned and reaserched the tourist attractions of Bangkok. We would of course sleep together and develop a relationship. On the plane we heard about Pattaya and decided to go there first to get a couple of days beach time before resuming the plan. Within hours of arrival there the plan was abandoned and so was sleeping together. Instead it was boys boys boys .........

Don’t make plans in Pattaya !

Great points, but actually how many of us actually plan our trips

I remember a guy I used to work with many years ago ago who was the most pedantic person and would plan his overseas trips months in advance even going to the extreme of putting in times in and times out to locations.

He even planned what restaurant him and his wife were going to on a certain date and the times!

That is going a bit anal though lol