Guest Dannyho

Hostel Recommemdation

Hi Dan, no, not with this short info. And likely you mean BTS and not the sluggy old-fashioned real trains of SRT-that run upcountry. BTS stops by 24.00-after that its taximeter (not expensive, IF you know how to handle them).

Forget any hoStel-thats dorm beds, expensive for what you get (in old-style Thai guesthouses rooms cost less as hoStelbeds-but they do NOT do booking and all that-just walk in) and of course, needless to say, no guests allowed in. Many do not even take any Thai in as guest (nor would any normal travelling Thai go there)

From what I've seen for AirB&B, they are not cheap at all in BKk-compared to the usual lower budget Thai hotels. But of course they may offer more freedom to bring in guests. There is also ebab and misterbandb for gay-aimed.

Decide if playing gay is the main part of your stay or the usual-for-1st-timers touristy part with some nice evenings out. I assume you are not white caucasian-decide if its importt to stay with your group mostly (food!) or not. Think about budget (room only). AND think about season-main season (end of dec.) may make prices rise astronomically or all cheapos sold out.

The usual areas that most other posters here would rec are around Silom (several basic HTLs for about 1000-1200 bt/N), with BTS at the door-like the Nantra, with also many of the usual 1st time gay places. Str8s also like the lower sukhumvit side-sois, around Nana. Around that infamous Khaosarn area =noisy, mostly young bekpekkers, masses of cheap streetfood, NO BTS nearby, you can find decent but basic AC-rooms from 600 bt/N-and late at n8 many willing katoeys too.

I assume you are young-check a site like queerintheworld.com or nomadicboys.com and search for BKK tips. Really interesting to see how much they differ from the usual listings for most posters (who tend to be older) on this forum. And have a nice stay!

Guest Dannyho

Thanks for the info pong. Is there any specific place (accomodation, any type) you can recommend by rank? Am currently deciding between cube and bed station, would be great if you could give me choices to choose. Much appreciate your input

Thanks for the info pong. Is there any specific place (accomodation, any type) you can recommend by rank? Am currently deciding between cube and bed station, would be great if you could give me choices to choose. Much appreciate your input

if you are deciding between Cube and bed Station, why even consider Bed Station? I looked for it on google maps and (if google maps is right) they have 2 locations, one on Petchaburi Road very close to Rathatewi BTS and one in Khaosan area. The latter is VERY FAR from Silom gay area and nowhere near any train. The first is at the BTS, so Silom is just a quick ride away (though you have to interchange at Siam for the SIlom Line), but as pong said that's only available until midnight.

So location-wise, you can't beat Cube, which is a stone throw from DJ Station and Saladaeng BTS, and only a few minutes walk to either Silom Soi 4 or Soi Twilight.

As with all real estate, the golden 3-L rule also applies to ho(s)tels: Location, Location, Location!

Having said that, as pong pointed out you may get a proper hotel room with your own private bathroom at Nantra Silom (also excellent location for Silom gay area) for not much more than a hostel bed. I looked for a random date in November and Nantra had DOUBLE rooms for only 900 Baht, whereas a SINGLE Cube-bed is 400, a double bed cube in a mixed dorm is 800. 

Looks like a no-brainer for Nantra to me, especially if there is any chance that you may bring someone back to your room....

WOW those Cube Accommodations are like a Pullman Birth on a Train.

Not for this old Dad!!

My favorite lately is The Raya Surawong Hotel.

Very close to all of the Gay places.

I have given up on Tarntawan Hotel .

Have fun!!

After Tarntawan changed managers a couple years back I checked out other hotels in the area including the Raja.  I am back at Tarntawan.  Just good all around services.

Recently, I heard that they no longer want Gay clientele and that the breakfast is no longer good. As I'm staying there in January I hope you can shed some light on this.

Recently, I heard that they no longer want Gay clientele and that the breakfast is no longer good. As I'm staying there in January I hope you can shed some light on this.

don't believe anything  and check for yourself. They may not market themselves as gay hotel but who cares, paying customer is still welcomed and every hotel in that area expects to see from time to time  older guy with younger Thai -rarely grand daddy and grandson.

As for good breakfast - what that really means? What you like may not suit somebody else. In that area starving is not an option specially with 65 baht special at Foodland between 5.30 and 9, LOL

"...Recently, I heard that they no longer want Gay clientele and that the breakfast is no longer good. As I'm staying there in January I hope you can shed some light on this..."

I recently was back at the Tarntawan for one week and then returned two weeks later.  I brought in a different male each night.  NO problems at all!  One of my thai boy friends came along one evening with three openly gay friend and we had a good time in the lobby before we all went out.  NO problems.

The breakfast?  Same as always.  Open food trays plus ordering your hot food.  They respond quickly to any special request!

You will have no problems!