TotallyOz

The Majority of Touists who visit Thailand

There are currently around 30 million visitors, TAT aims for 35 million/yr, the biggest part in % are now mainland Chinese-used to be Malays for short (weekend) trips. My 1st visit was 88/89, when it was Visit Thailand year and they aimed for 5 million and got much more as that. Tipical in the program for those Chinese (they are still near all on grouptours) are visits to some extablishments, str8 or maybe even gay, that show some forbidden fruits. Its also daft clear they drive up the prices there easily (as they have also done with most other things in ChMai). Negative news in the Chinese press about Thailand (accidents or also perceived discrimination) sends their nrs. down in a few days.

I've given up on telling that just going to the Thai places, a plenty in suburban BKK, the whole thing can be had for 1500, and there are also a few who report that via apps it even can get lower.

In touristy areas you pay tourist-prices. Up to you if you want to leave that comfort zone.

I'm currently conducting scientific experiment to see if such a foray makes sense at all and results so far are promising.

Great essay above Scooby and you are right about almost everything although I don't think sex turists are that small minority .

Enough to  see id immigration lines , lots of  men  travelling  in them and Pattaya streets are teeming with the same types. I venture to say , very few of them came for food or culure  and even less fot sun nad sand.

On ever contentious and popular subject of expenses I'm sometimes surprised that the same poeple are ballistic about tips being over board and market rates but  on another occasion happy to discuss merits of choices  of expensive accommodations and exen more expensive food options.  

Christian PFC is often criticized for being frugal but at least he is consistent which can't be said  about those comparing Dusit Thani to Crowne plaza  but screaming that 2000 short time tip is racket amd extortion ruining market for others. 

I just think it is comforting for us to think that a large % of the tourists especially in BKK are Sex Tourists. I believe Soi Twilight is the proof of that . It would have closed up long ago if not for the Chinese who are mainly spectators . Drink prices kept going up as number of offs kept going down.  Curiosity is not enough to pay boys or girls unless you are making 90% plus on beverages. It may be different on Soi Cowboy where I have limited experience.

Another thing I wonder about. If I take all of the lower priced Hotels mentioned here by members and count their rooms , I wonder if it would add up to as many rooms in the largest Sheraton Hotel. Who is staying in these gigantic Hotels. I'm sure there are some Sex Tourists but my guess is a fairly small %.

Every time you turn around there is a new Fancy Mall being built that appeals to the influx of Tourists. Are these visitors buying Gucci Bags during the day and Sex at night. Maybe??

Bottom line I think BKK is changing by the day and although Sex is still a fixture , I actually think it is becoming less and less important as the city attracts more and more visitors from around the world.

I know that I have gotten very good married straight friends to visit Thailand . They loved BKK and Phuket and Chiang Mai and never once went into a GoGo Bar.

Food for thought!!

Thailand to me has become to me far far more expensive.

With the Australian dollar down 1,000 baht was $50 AUD at one stage

I dont regard it as good value anymore ,with many of the guys in Bangkok wanting 2000 baht or more for short time,

I do think there are less gay guys retiring to Thailand than what there were say 10 or 15 years ago, does anyone else think that?

If prices get more expensive with even some of these beer bars being greedy then i see less sex mongers arriving

Im looking next at the Phillipines .

We have members who like to stay in nice Hotels and others who consider that a complete waste of money. We have members who love taking their date to a restaurant of his choice and others who want to give the boy some money to purchase a micro wave meal at 7/11. We have members who enjoy purchasing a boy something special and others who would never consider that.

There is no right or wrong in these decisions but rather personal choices.

How about us few who are looking for boys who are not into the game, but are truly loving.  Just a thought as WE are now into our tenth year together as a couple, and we are not alone.  I know of many others who have got lucky along with all of those who did not.

"Now we have members here that have traveled all over Thailand and a smaller number who have elected to retire here or use it as their residence for Business Travels in the rest of Asia. We even have members who have fallen in love and have chosen a Thai for a life partner."

In fact the above was in the original post.  Probably just missed it with speed reading. :p

Christian PFC is often criticized for being frugal but at least he is consistent which can't be said  about those comparing Dusit Thani to Crowne plaza  but screaming that 2000 short time tip is racket amd extortion ruining market for others. 

I agree wholeheartedly with your concept, however 2000 is certainly at the high end of any short time scale.  

The twinks seem satisfied with 1500 in Bangkok & 1000~1300 in Pattaya.

I try to stay in fair hotels and pay fair tips. 

As for travel, well my holidays usually include a trip to some other part of Thailand or SE Asia, where, in many cases I'm doing it for the travel experience & am expecting to sleep alone.  That's in between visiting Bangkok & Pattaya.  

On ever contentious and popular subject of expenses I'm sometimes surprised that the same poeple are ballistic about tips being over board and market rates but  on another occasion happy to discuss merits of choices  of expensive accommodations and exen more expensive food options.  

For the life of me I can't remember any member fitting this statement.  In fact, it seems to me that some of our Top Trip Reporters who do stay at what you refer to as expensive accommodations are exactly the opposite . They usually are quite happy with the boys and are quite generous . My memory says that the members who stay at the less expensive accommodations are in fact the ones who complain about drink and off prices. But I'm happy to be proved wrong?

Another thing I wonder about. If I take all of the lower priced Hotels mentioned here by members and count their rooms , I wonder if it would add up to as many rooms in the largest Sheraton Hotel. Who is staying in these gigantic Hotels. I'm sure there are some Sex Tourists but my guess is a fairly small %.

Every time you turn around there is a new Fancy Mall being built that appeals to the influx of Tourists. Are these visitors buying Gucci Bags during the day and Sex at night. Maybe??

Bottom line I think BKK is changing by the day and although Sex is still a fixture , I actually think it is becoming less and less important as the city attracts more and more visitors from around the world.

I think your analysis is spot on in most respects. Bangkok is certainly changing and the rate of change seems to be speeding up. As you mentioned earlier, the huge influx of Chinese tourists is helping create this change.

But I think it started years earlier. Even as the western tourists continued to come and patronise the gogo bars and other sex venues, younger and richer Singaporeans. Hong Kong guys, Japanese, Taiwanese started to come in greater numbers. They come in small groups of 2 or 4. Many come for long weekends, stay in more upmarket hotels, spend in the malls during the day and go out in the evening. Anyone thinking these tourists who certainly have sex on the agenda but not at the top do not stay in the upmarket hotels should go to the 5 star Sukhothai Hotel on Sathorn during the main holidays like Christmas and Chinese holidays. Check the pool. It is like gay central. So many gay guys. Many in great shape.

But these guys mostly dont off boys from the bars. They get sex in the saunas and massage spas. If they visit a gogo bar, its just for a drink and maybe a show. 

For those who complain about tips becoming too high, a dose of reality is needed. In the early 1980s the average short time tip was 500 baht. That equalled $20. $20 today is 660 baht. So a short time tip has increased by not much more than 100%. How many other services in Thailand over the last 35 years have increased by less than 100%? 

For those who complain about tips becoming too high, a dose of reality is needed. In the early 1980s the average short time tip was 500 baht. That equalled $20. $20 today is 660 baht. So a short time tip has increased by not much more than 100%. How many other services in Thailand over the last 35 years have increased by less than 100%? 

Finally somebody said it loudly and in orderly manner.

For the life of me I can't remember any member fitting this statement.  In fact, it seems to me that some of our Top Trip Reporters who do stay at what you refer to as expensive accommodations are exactly the opposite . They usually are quite happy with the boys and are quite generous . My memory says that the members who stay at the less expensive accommodations are in fact the ones who complain about drink and off prices. But I'm happy to be proved wrong?

Perhaps last thing we need here is another heated discussion about other peoples  spending patterns.

Scooby I like you very much but as moderator perhaps it's better if you don't take sides in our discussions as that may stifle debate out of fear of crossing you. This is at least, right or wrong,  what I think.

I think your analysis is spot on in most respects. Bangkok is certainly changing and the rate of change seems to be speeding up. As you mentioned earlier, the huge influx of Chinese tourists is helping create this change.

not only in Bangkok, I'm in Pattaya now and noticed to my great displeasure that boys in Boyztown main soi all of the sudden become much more demanding and to my even greater surprise seem to stick firmly to their requests and if you don't yield are not shy to label you  stingy and give you contemptuous look next time they see me.

I was there just in Jun  so novelty of situation is quite shocking for me in such a short span of time  

Will report in due course. 

Perhaps last thing we need here is another heated discussion about other peoples  spending patterns.

Scooby I like you very much but as moderator perhaps it's better if you don't take sides in our discussions as that may stifle debate out of fear of crossing you. This is at least, right or wrong,  what I think.

Have to disagree with you on this.  It is not like I inserted myself in another members thread. I started the thread .  Also my most recent response was to you and.pretty specific to which you did not reply.  There are times I don't read every post . So I suppose it is possible that some of our Trip Report Members mentioned the upscale Hotels they were in and then criticized what the boys want. I just can't remember it and would be happy for you to show me an instance .

I was also quite clear in my original post that there is no right and wrong in these personal decisions. Heated discussions on these Topics I don't remember but rather the back and forth that makes a Board like this interesting.

Overall I think there may be more criticisms of drink prices and limited complaints on Bar Fine fees but very few complaints on Boys and what they get. It seems to me that the members of this Board seem to understand it is a negotiation and understand that boys will try to get as much as possible and of course it is as much their decision as the Member who might be enlisting their services.

What is lost in your feeling about my posting is that I was quite clear that the reason ultimately for my original post was about criticism of Viet Boys and the back and forth among some members who at least at times did not seem very open minded about how others looked at Viet Boys.

Also I take offense that I would be vindictive for personal reasons. Every member who has been banned or suspended , I believe members were generally happy to see them go with possibly one exception and the membership is not privy to PM's sent to me by that member .

Just a reminder this is what I said in my final comment on the Original Post.

Just so I am clear . I think the current membership is the best it has ever been and I have been around for awhile in tasks other then Moderator.

Sometimes I think it needs to be said how lucky we are to have a destination to fulfill our dreams if only for a short period of time.

1  We're definitely fortunate to have the chance to fly to Thailand & enjoy every aspect of the tourism offer.    

100 years ago, it would have not been an option.  

In 100 years time, the fuel will be prohibitively expensive, unless some other technological breakthrough is made.

2  Regarding money boys who do not offer full service (including some of the Vietnamese),  I'm now primarily interested in which bars have them, so I can decide how much care is needed with my filtering process in the particular bar.    

We've done most other aspects of the conversation.  

3   I believe there have been members who have been staying in at least the mid-range hotels and complaining about costs, although it is by no means common.  Since no-one is naming specific individuals, it's not a big deal.   Incidentally, my normal long time tip exceeds the cost of my room.

4   If Scooby gets involved in a debate, he should be free to take whatever position he likes, same as with any other member.   As long as the moderating remains objective & unbiased, without censoring opposing views, it's fine.   From what I've seen, the moderating is absolutely fine in that particular aspect.     Zero risk.

not only in Bangkok, I'm in Pattaya now and noticed to my great displeasure that boys in Boyztown main soi all of the sudden become much more demanding and to my even greater surprise seem to stick firmly to their requests and if you don't yield are not shy to label you stingy and give you contemptuous look next time they see me.

I was there just in Jun so novelty of situation is quite shocking for me in such a short span of time

Interesting.

Maybe Chinese golden week (1/10-7/10) effect?

not only in Bangkok, I'm in Pattaya now and noticed to my great displeasure that boys in Boyztown main soi all of the sudden become much more demanding and to my even greater surprise seem to stick firmly to their requests and if you don't yield are not shy to label you stingy and give you contemptuous look next time they see me.

I was there just in Jun so novelty of situation is quite shocking for me in such a short span of time

Boys in bars whom stick firmly to their requests will be more flexible if you contact them via the app's sometimes they cut their rate by half .

Boys in bars whom stick firmly to their requests will be more flexible if you contact them via the app's sometimes they cut their rate by half .

possible as bar may set some tip policy and mat expect boys to stick to minimum set by bar - definitely few times Dreamboys boys told me that.

On apps they are on their own and more responsive to market forces but that may mean not necessarily less.

Boy in demand may decide to cash in on his new popularity.

for me is not issue what they demand and expect. I don't expect them to sell their charms for pittance.

It's how they get about that is what counts. Boy asking for more I'm willing to pay is not my enemy as i know how markets work but I expect them to think  that way too. None of us is under obligation to enter contract but is  expected to keep each  side of bargain  when deal is sealed. 

Also I take offense that I would be vindictive for personal reasons.

My apologies as this is not what I meant. Perhaps i should express it better . What i meant is that as moderator you have better options of shaping debate than other members for example by locking thread.

Nothing wrong with that but being in charge is just that , being in charge.