paborn

There are other bars!

Wednesday is a big Buddhist Holiday. Police came thru tonight and said everything must close.

Twilight, Soi 4 and Patpong. Midnight Tuesday .

They changed their rules about 3 times tonight, but it does seem pretty certain all will be closed Wednesday.

And what happens if one does not have their passport on them?  I always leave mine in the hotel room locked in the safe.  :shok:

I carry mine, ,learned lesson from straight friend who was entertaining himself in  soi Cowboy few years ago when police raided soi. He had his passport so was let go but farang without were herded to a police van and driven , one can safely assume , not to their respective hotels   

Immigration and police have also been hitting Sukhumvit quite hard too, all to do with visa overstays from what I have been reading, government having a massive crackdown on overstays now.

I do remember before where the head of immigration said that a photo copy of ypur passport and of the visa is sufficient. I have a new scan and print of my relevant passport page before I go and when the hotel scan the passport I ask them if they can print me a copy of the visa. Some good advice here http://www.richardbarrow.com/2013/08/always-carry-your-passport-or-a-copy-while-in-thailand/

And what happens if one does not have their passport on them?  I always leave mine in the hotel room locked in the safe.  :shok:

Just keep a copy of your passport and copy of the visa page/extension to stay with you. Some people get a wallet sized copy while others a full sized copy (better) and have it laminated.. The risk of losing a passport outweigh the risk of being asked to see it. This is especially true for short term visitors who may not have time to get a new passport from Embassy.

Another option is to have a photo copy in your smart phone.

I think it all depends on the mood of the officer. I will keep my passport in the safe and just look at any police involvement as a foundation for me being able to post with firsthand accounts.

Yes exactly it depends on the mood of the officer ,some of them will insist to see original passport .

I thought I was convinced to start carrying it. But, if I have a copy and a photo and carry an expired passport I doubt I'll be in real trouble.  Besides, in all these reports, across a number of sources, the Thai passport checks are aimed sadly perhaps, at dark-skinned travelers as the crackdown is actually against African migrants.

that's a bit outdated, from 2013....I certainly wouldn't recommend the shrinked copy, better have full size as others have mentioned here. I always carry a color copy of the picture page and normal b/w copy of visa + latest entry stamp + TM6

Regarding overstays, the advice is certainly no longer accurate regarding long overstays:

My best advice if you have overstayed is to surrender yourself at the airport and pay the fine. Maximum is 20,000 Baht even if you have overstayed by years. I know someone who had done this. He paid the fine and flew out. He then got a new visa in a neighboring country and came straight back. No problem.

Nowadays, such long overstays will result in blacklisting for long periods.

edit: wasn't this thread about bars, not passports? LOL

Actually anddy, Richard still uses the shrunken version and hasn't had any problems with it when asked for his passport, he's been living there for quite some time now. I follow him on Facebook as he shares interesting photos and info

Wednesday is a big Buddhist Holiday. Police came thru tonight and said everything must close.

Twilight, Soi 4 and Patpong. Midnight Tuesday .

They changed their rules about 3 times tonight, but it does seem pretty certain all will be closed Wednesday.

Twilight is apparently closed but Jupiter and Moonlight will open according to my expat friend who already checked with Jupiter mamasan and boys.

I shall find out tonight.