paborn

Etiquette in Jomtien

Recently one of our august members wrote this in a thread about Jomtien:

"One of the pleasures of Jomtien is that it is so easy and enjoyable to walk down the main soi and decide for yourself"

This started a lot of discussion about the attitude or behavior of guys in Jomtien bars.  The consensus seems to be that if you enter and order a drink for yourself you are ignored. The guys face the street, their backs to the customer, and both watch the street and play with their phones.

I'm used to Bangkok host bars like the older Charmming and others in Saphan Kwai( the boys are clothed and sit facing you ) and the go-go style of Soi Twilight. But, I must confess, this is an odd one for .  so, I ask what is the truth of this and what is the best way to handle it.

Recently one of our august members wrote this in a thread about Jomtien:

"One of the pleasures of Jomtien is that it is so easy and enjoyable to walk down the main soi and decide for yourself"

I'm used to Bangkok host bars like the older Charmming and others in Saphan Kwai( the boys are clothed and sit facing you ) it.

I never knew Saphan Kwai had host bars? Where are they? Are they active?????

The bad part is that the guys can't read minds. They can't tell if you like one of them and want them to sit with you u less you tell them. And if you sit down and order a drink without inviting any of them to join you they stop bothering you and focus on the next potential customer.

When I went with a guy to the bars. We sat and were ignored. When my friend saw the guy he wanted to meet, I called the guy over and all was well.

Then they lure in another customer and ignore him, and another customer and ignore him and on and on. :p

If one is a regular to the Complex, they know what to expect and what to do.   And not all bars are the same, one with a difference is Two Donna Bar, located on soi facing Venue, where the lads do pay attention to the customer. And likely other bars. 

The guys are in a difficult situation. If they are too forward, they can annoy some of us. 

Older readers may recall the 1990s gay guide "The Men of Thailand."  The writer always stipulated in which Bangkok bars the guys approached and vice versa. It seemed that in the more Thai orientated places (often in Saphan Kwai), they didn't, while in Boyztown and so on they did. 

Nowadays, I enjoy a drink in the early evening while my boyfriend spends his usual two hours showering and getting ready for dinner (an exaggeration...it's only one) and most assuredly don't want contact in the bars other than a smile and a  sawatdee khrap. Twenty plus  years ago, as a shy newbie looking for company, I welcomed it. 

There are some ways to handle Jomtien bars that avoid being sat at the back of the bar being ignored.

(i) Since the lads are sat at the front of the bars, walk up & down the soi slowly, figure out which boy you want, walk up to him & ask him to join you for a drink.

(ii) Find your Jomtien boy on on Planet Romeo, figure out which bar he works in & then go to visit him.  

If this fails,if you're sat in a bar with the boys facing the street, at least the boys in the bars across the road are facing you, so it is a good place to plot which bar to go to next.   

if this fails,if you're sat in a bar with the boys facing the street, at least the boys in the bars across the road are facing you, so it is a good place to plot which bar to go to next.   

Reminds me of sitting in Dicks ( Bangkok ) and making sure I was always paying by drink so I could take off in pursuit of a lovely lad to ascertain his workplace.  Good Idea. 

Find your Jomtien boy on on Planet Romeo, figure out which bar he works in & then go to visit him.  

I'm crap with apps, Is it possible to set the app to Pattaya before leaving the US and shop in advance?  No answer would be too simple for me, I have some gifts and talents - these apps are not in my tool kit.

Thanks, Christian, but how do you handle Jomtien bars?

I have no interest in host bars. When I'm in Pattaya alone, I don't go to Jomtien (I spend all my time in Sunee and Boystown, in that order). When I'm with a friend who wants to go to Jomtien, I join him but we don't stay long and I don't sit and drink in a bar (just walk through the soi). There are boys to my taste in Jomtien, my current and all time favorite works in a bar there.

Me too, Paborn. I rely on my boyfriend. You can access the "Classic. Planet Romeo site" (note the full-stop) where you live and choose Pattaya as your place of interest. The "classic" will give you some indication of likely friends in Pattaya.

The more usual Planet Romeo (ie the app one) identifies your present location so it has to be set up when you are there; the same goes for hornet. 

You can also do the same for Hornet

Me too, Paborn. I rely on my boyfriend. You can access the "Classic. Planet Romeo site" (note the full-stop) where you live and choose Pattaya as your place of interest. The "classic" will give you some indication of likely friends in Pattaya.

The more usual Planet Romeo (ie the app one) identifies your present location so it has to be set up when you are there; the same goes for hornet. 

Errr not so...

Im in the UK and am now using both searching for boys in Pattaya to meet next month. (Select "explore the world" in Hornet)

The only thing I would say is that Gay Romeo is soooo bloody hard to use. Hornet is far easier.

There are boys to my taste in Jomtien, my current and all time favorite works in a bar there.

So, why not go? Just curious...

I have no interest in sitting, chatting and drinking.

I want to see boys in underwear, and be able to pick one to join me in bed. My preference would be on a beach or swimming pool, but gogo bars serve my needs.

The adverts in Planet Romeo are less intrusive than those in Hornet or Grindr.     Also, you get more filters and functionality for free in Planet Romeo.   So, I would use this in preference to the other apps, at least in Pattaya, where there are plenty of boys on Planet Romeo.

You can of course set your location to Jomtien in Planet Romeo and hold dialogues without paying the extra for a premium subscription, unlike in the other 2 apps. If I'm not mistaken, those allow you to view the lads elsewhere, but to say anything requires a premium version. Or cheating with a fake GPS app.

If using multiple apps, try to avoid confusion and keep the dialogue with any specific lad on one app.

I want to see boys in underwear, and be able to pick one to join me in bed. My preference would be on a beach or swimming pool, but gogo bars serve my needs.

That is also my preference. Although, when I have gone to Jomtien, it's usually when I find the lad I am chatting to on Planet Romeo is working there & I have already confirmed what he does in bed.

Christian, I've followed your exploits for years and I think my taste is much like yours. I've been told that all Jomtien bars are alike, which I doubt. If your favorite works in Jomtien now can you share which bar? I'll start my stroll there.

That really appeals to me Christian !. Twinks on the gay beach in skimpy speedos which we used to see up to about ten years ago. I remember playing with them in the sea and then taking them back to the hotel or condo.

Perhaps one of the beach concessions could be converted into a boy bar/Gogo where boys could be offed.

I just went back through my photos, and yes, the photos of cute lads on the beach start to dry up from around 2011, so you are about right..

Now when cute lads are there, either they are with their latest client or they are also tourists.

The tourists have little interest in renting themselves out & only a smaller percentage can be classed as cute twinks.

In the era of the smartphone, I think we will struggle to wind the clock back on this one.