paborn

Restaurant updates

Now, I'm sure we have had any number of restaurant threads over the years, but there is nothing wrong with being current.

Let's have some updates on places like Maxis, Madrid Tavern, etc. For instance, last time I stayed in Bangkok there was no restaurant in Foodland. Is it very basic, are there western dishes?  There are lots of Vietnamese guys is there a decent Vietnamese place to take one?

We all eat but how do we handle it? Do you rely on street vendors; there's a large congregation in Thaniya - reliable? If you don't speak Thai how do you maneuver? I assume no menus let alone tourist ones.

I remember vendors serving that wonderful Chiang Mai grilled chicken - is there a place to taste that again?

Maxi is my place for schnitzel served with mushroom sauce. Madrid is best for pizza, several kinds , all on thin crust.

Chicken with cashew nuts , my favorite Thai dish I like the best in Oasis on Suriwong, just before Tarntawan hotel.

Foodland is not fancy place but  they have good deal on breakfast and dozen or so bar guys I invited there over years all liked their Thai foods as well. 

No need for menu in street stalls - just point what you want , cross yourself just in case ( just kidding ) and eat.

Late at night at Thainya you may find yourself eating at one of those makeshift stalls  in company of bar girls and boys so you may not return to your hotel alone.

Last time I was in Pattaya my favourite italian restaurant had closed down,it was on Second Rd just opp Boyztown.

I took a boy up to the back of Thappaya Rd to the Chocolate restaurant just by the water,expensive but certainly not the greatest of food except their dessertsvwhich you would die for !! Yum !

I also ate in a italian restaurant just near Boyztown,in the same soi as Lewinkskys,cant remember the name but big helpings of my favourite spaghetti bolognese.

I also ate in a italian restaurant just near Boyztown,in the same soi as Lewinkskys,cant remember the name but big helpings of my favourite spaghetti bolognese.

Casa Fellini. It used to be one of my favourite restaurants in Pattaya but has really gone downhill the last year or two both regarding service and food quality.

Guest Promsak

, last time I stayed in Bangkok there was no restaurant in Foodland. Is it very basic, are there western dishes?  

There has been a restaurant in Foodland (Took Lae Dee) for as long as I can remember (Patpong 2 that is).

They also have happy hours in the very late/early hours.

There are photos and menus here : 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d2174361-Reviews-Took_Lae_Dee_Restaurant_at_Foodland_Supermarket-Bangkok.html#photos;geo=293916&detail=2174361&ff=322967898&albumViewMode=hero&aggregationId=101&albumid=101&baseMediaId=322967898&thumbnailMinWidth=50&cnt=30&offset=-1&filter=7&autoplay=

Good luck if you're typing that!

I remember vendors serving that wonderful Chiang Mai grilled chicken - is there a place to taste that again?

Dont want to be pedantic, but actually ChM is not famous for grill chicken-the isan is (khai yang). you can find such grill-carts anywhere everywhere in BKK, due to the enormous nr of isany workers in the silom area there must be several there too.

ChM is famous for its spicy sausages (i mean made of meat from animals+ various other things). Tipically such cart-vendors specialize in just 1 type of food/even dish- soup or not, chicken or pig, premade (khao khaeng, or late night khao tom=soupy rice) or made on the spot (mostly chinese-in a wok). Even if you do not read Thai, seeing the cart and whats on will tell what they serve.

And it does not need to be on the street too-with all the dangers, dieselfumes etc in your face. Many foodcourts ofer the same-there used to be a fairly good one on either ground/cellar floor or top of the TOPS above McDon corner Silom/Ram IV-untill they started a big renovation-DK what has happened with it since. Also well known and dirt cheap is the food terminal-6th fl. or terminal 21=quirky shopcentre corner of Asoke and Sukhumvit, with BTS and MRT adjacent. As it also has lots of students, enough eye-candy for anyone all the time too. Sadly the former m2m msg shops around have all shut up (GUY, UNiman, old Body Club).

There has been a restaurant in Foodland (Took Lae Dee) for as long as I can remember (Patpong 2 that is).

They also have happy hours in the very late/early hours.

I'm not sure how far your memory goes back but in the mid-eighties and nineties, before starting to go to Pattaya there was only a small but excellent bakery. I bought rolls there every morning when staying ion the Suriwongse - I can't wait to check the restaurant out - thanks for the menu

Casa Fellini. It used to be one of my favourite restaurants in Pattaya but has really gone downhill the last year or two both regarding service and food quality.

I agree. I stopped using Casa Fellini when I went in there one evening and the place was full of cigarette smoke generated by the owner standing behind the bar smoking non stop.

Lewinskis, right next door, is very very good and the portions are very generous. They also serve real Draught Guiness which is as good, or better, than you will get anywhere, including Ireland!

Yes Casa Fellini, decorated very nice inside.

The night I went was very quiet and the waitress asked for a tip before she asked for my order which always puts me off, i just think its plain rude no matter how desperate you are for money.

But the spaghetti was quite good,didn’t see the owner though.

The night I went was very quiet and the waitress asked for a tip before she asked for my order which always puts me off,

Honestly, I hate being argumentative, but this is the sort of thing you say that I find impossible to believe. I've spent a good part of my life traveling - every week for years in business and thirty times to Thailand and I must doubt your veracity.

Maybe she mentioned it in jest.

Some falang tend to think too much.

Yes im sure she did too., though I did tip the Chef as well because of his excellent cooking .

He actually came out and introduced himself,stocky Thai guy who I must say was quite handsome, big broad shoulders,strong,and if I took him home he’d be useful in the kitchen too !

Very rarely I can get great Spaghetti Bolognese to my taste,but Casa Fellini was great,well i should say he was great because I guess it depends on who the Chef is .

A bit like Matzo Ball soup .hard to find a great place that makes it and if course my favourite of favourites Bangers n mash !!

I think the best Bangers n mash i really had was at the Old Papa Davids ( Day night shop) and second best was at the Irish Clock in Udon Thani

I also tried the Austrian restaurant up on Second Road , had the name on the tip of my tongue but cant remember it now, anyway went for breakfast ,something different from the ordinary bacon and eggs and fry I usually have.

A selection of Cold meats ,boiled egg, cheeses, bread rolls ,kransky sauage, didnt think I would take to it but it was delicious !!

Even went back the next day for more !!

Love my pizza too,but could never love the taste of Domino’s or even New York Pizza on Third Road.

I love real cheese and I have found the best pizza is in Jomtien.

I'm glad that you like your food, Terry4.

Lol , your right,apart from guys i love going for the delicious multi culture food that Pattaya has to offer .

Though I wouldnt class myself as a “ foodie” I love going out to all types of restaurants in Pattaya and even take a guy from the bar with me on most nights .

Last time went to the 169baht all you can eat Thai buffet with 2 guys from the Eden bar in Sunee.

Its a great experience at trying and cooking your own food at the table.

For me it's street food whenever possible. I'm not familiar enough with Silom to comment, but the street food on Suan Phlu is wonderful. The Isan style place near Mybed hotel has the most divine grilled pork, very spicy somtam you can ask them to dial back, and many other wonderful dishese. Sit there with a beer and flirt with the Vietnamese waitstaff, watch the people parade--nothing better. On Soi 8 there are a number of good places, the one with loud music has good roast chicken, again with somtam. For dessert you can go up the street and stop at the ice cream cart. One should always top off coconut ice cream with corn, wouldn't you agree? And on the other side of the street, my Vietnamese friend Linh whips up cheap and delicious crab fried rice.

Also there are a number of good places along Ngam Duphli, where The vile Malaysia Hotel sits. Up the street next to Pinnacle is a Chinese reataurant I like, and then around the corner on Rama IV lots of noodle shops. Cross the pedestrian bridge to the other side of Rama IV and try some of the really cheap places the massage boys go to.

Too bad it's a bit far from Silom.