bobsaigon

Latest Soi Twilight Rumor (Nov 2018)

I think the small watering hole was run by one of the mamasans from the old Solid Bar which ran for a few years on the corner close to the Mango Tree restaurant. For a while one of his regular boys helped out at that bar but whenever I walked past or stopped by for a drink, there was rarely another customer. How he kept going, goodness only knows!

Solid had its attractions and was a fun place for a drink and an off for those who enjoyed it. But it was not an all-out gogo bar and its clientele was small.

Another different kind of bar which some may recall was X-treme Bar on the second floor of one of the Twilight shops (was it where Bonny Massage eventually materialized?) X-treme had the usual bunch of gogo boys but it’s main entertainment was provided by real young dancers who gave a great 30 minute show twice a night. No nudity but these boys were cracking dancers, the choreography was good, often titillating and the boys themselves always great fun. 

It was run by an unusual figure who had either been a member of the clergy of the Church of England or whose work was related to the Church. Always friendly, his young long-haired student boyfriend would sometimes come into the bar. He was a real stunner!

With rarely more than a few customers, X-treme can’t gave lasted more than a couple of years. The German across the Soi then employed them for a while before he dropped them and a few ended up in Roxy in Soi 4. The reverend (as many called the X-treme owner) ended up as a consultant at Roxy. I believe he then returned to England. I always wondered if his boyfriend joined him or he stayed behind. If the latter, some farang must have become extremely lucky!

38 minutes ago, PeterRS said:

I think the small watering hole was run by one of the mamasans from the old Solid Bar which ran for a few years on the corner close to the Mango Tree restaurant. For a while one of his regular boys helped out at that bar but whenever I walked past or stopped by for a drink, there was rarely another customer. How he kept going, goodness only knows!

Yes the 'small watering hole' never had a name.

It was owned by Wirat the part owner/manager/mamasan of Solid. It was the only place in the soi where you could buy a beer for 100Baht.

I first knew him decades ago in Garden Bar (above Harry's), then Charlies Bar, then a bar opposite Tawan and then Solid.   A lovely bar except when the farang partner was in hogging all the boys or when an evil farang was in who took boys and only paid them if he could make them cry.

I saw Wirat last Wednesday and he said that he'd been given till Friday to vacate. I asked what he will do now and he said that he'll have to find a job.

21 hours ago, witty said:

Fresh Boys soi Twilight was busy for the 10pm show with many healthy boys and many lady customers. Drinks for 350 baht. 

Physically attractive Vietnamese #32 &  #12.

Maybe some of you might know Kevin and Yoyo. 

The Khmer lads were handsome and sexy as well. 

How I wish I was there!

5 hours ago, DrimVoiz said:

Wow, that's a long way back! I wonder how BKK looks back then.

same, same as boys say,  more bars and more farangs in them, less massage places, drinks, tips and off fees nominally  cheaper but   when one takes into account own purchasing power  I'm not so sure and it depends of country or rather currency of origin.

Past is gone anyway , it's future what counts

20 hours ago, colmx said:

I think the bar opposite Tawan was called Tomahawk (or at least it was in the early 2000s, before solid opened

Yes, and Wirat was a Mamasan there. That is where I meet my First Go Go Guy and fell in LOVE!!!  And I also enjoyed going to Solid. Met many wonderful young men there. But never encountered the Owner...

I did....once. There were about six or seven guys dancing. More than a couple interested me. A falang entered, sat down and lit-up what was to to be the first of many cigarettes. Then he called over to his table four of the guys, including all the ones I had had my eye on and  began a long monologue at them. They just sat there. The remaining three carried on dancing.  I left. It was only via a post on Sawatdee that I learnt that he was the owner.

Solid was my favourite go go bar for a number of reason....the dancers were all twinks, the music level was tolerable, it was just round the corner from Tantawan, the atmosphere was cosy and the prices were lower. I met some nice guys there. The mamasan amazed me... he recognized me on each of my infrequent (and short) visits to Soi Twilight ten years (or was it longer) after Solid's closure.

On 26 March 2019 at 10:04 AM, vinapu said:

same, same as boys say,  more bars and more farangs in them, less massage places, drinks, tips and off fees nominally  cheaper but   when one takes into account own purchasing power  I'm not so sure and it depends of country or rather currency of origin.

Past is gone anyway , it's future what counts

Yup, yup...4get the past, the future is on Patpong 2!!!

On 3/26/2019 at 11:21 PM, Londoner said:

Solid was my favourite go go bar for a number of reason....the dancers were all twinks, the music level was tolerable, it was just round the corner from Tantawan, the atmosphere was cosy and the prices were lower. I met some nice guys there. The mamasan amazed me... he recognized me on each of my infrequent (and short) visits to Soi Twilight ten years (or was it longer) after Solid's closure.

The 'mamasan' was Wirat. He went on to run his own bar next to Scorpion in Twilight.

I saw him last week the day before he had to vacate his premises.

His future? "I'll have to find a job".

Guest guest_BenG1000
1 hour ago, Wynter11 said:

And you can write up some reviews of the new bars! Also Le Meridien please ;)

Will do! Newbie review of everything I experience!