joshhb

Favourite Silom restaurants

I'm very lucky to have been to Bangkok 5 times so far this year. My Thai fiance and I normally stay in an Airbnb apartment on or near Silom Soi 3. These are our favourite restaurants we end up at least twice every trip.

Oasis. Opposite Meridien on Surawong. Robert runs the front of house and his wife Nadawadee manages the kitchen. Great food at very reasonable prices.

88 Eatery and Bar. On Silom soi 3. Anon is an inventive chef with really innovative dishes. Thai fusion tapas. Catch his cooking before the Thai hi soc recruit him into an expensive restaurant. 

G's on Silom soi 4. We always go for the Thai food rather than German. Super service from the Myanmar boys

Not sure what it is called, but the restaurant near the junction with Silom Rd on Silom soi 6. Good food and cheesy live music.

We've treated ourselves to Table de The tasting menu  a few times. Difficult to find off Sala Daeng road. Haute cuisine at reasonable prices. They will accommodate dietary  challenges - he wont eat beef or duck.

Any other recommendations?

Not sure what it is called, but the restaurant near the junction with Silom Rd on Silom soi 6. Good food and cheesy live music.

Is that After Hours? I like that one a lot, good food at reasonable prices, also G's on Soi 4 and also The Mango Tree 

Mango Tree has very good food but I personally don't have them in category of ' reasonable prices'

True, I usually eat there twice per trip, really like the food and especially their bbq duck red curry. Also enjoy Oasis for a quiet and good meal.

I'll try Mango Tree when back in 3 weeks. I've avoided Mango Tree as it is part of a chain, I think. Oasis now has a curry served in a pineapple - very nice.

Its our 1st year anniversary of meeting on December 5th. Where would people recommend for a special meal in a great location?

their bbq duck red curry

Served in a hollowed out pineapple and fir for the gods...

mmmm heaven in a hollowed out pineapple

I don't know. It sounds like another take on fast food. That is the one thing I avoid especially on holiday. A bowl of Thai Rice soup = yes, a big mac = no. I do eat western food in Thailand but nobody's fast food.

Walked past it the day before it opened 2 weeks ago, and went back for a drink and nibbles on its second day. Nice atmosphere. The owner is the doctor who runs the clinic upstairs. Serves Hoegaarden as standard. Probably best for an early  evening beer and snack, rather than dinner.

eatery 88 is really great and anon is a nice and friendly chef that takes personal care of his guests.
i also loved EATME on soi phiphat (almost at the corner soi convent).
and (very expensive, but supergood), the nahm restaurant at at metropolitan hotel on sathorn :).
never tried G's at soi 4 and After Hours... will do that next time when in bangkok (december :))

eatery 88 is really great and anon is a nice and friendly chef that takes personal care of his guests.

i also loved EATME on soi phiphat (almost at the corner soi convent).

and (very expensive, but supergood), the nahm restaurant at at metropolitan hotel on sathorn :).

never tried G's at soi 4 and After Hours... will do that next time when in bangkok (december :))

welcome to the forum and hope you are not coming to Bangkok next month just to eat.

Let us know how your guy hunting will be going when you are there

I don't know. It sounds like another take on fast food. That is the one thing I avoid especially on holiday. A bowl of Thai Rice soup = yes, a big mac = no. I do eat western food in Thailand but nobody's fast food.

I also give burger type places wide berth but still fondly remember coming to Bangkok few years ago after 2  weeks in Vietnam.

I was so tired with all that rice that french fries at MCDonald   tasted heavenly so fast food venues have their use.

I know, I know. We are but human after all. I recall one extended trip to Thailand where I followed the rule of "ONLY THAI" ( I was young and made rules easily then); on the way home, at my connection, I ran to a MacDonald's to grab some food I could chew! Meat that was more than a little nugget.

I'll try Mango Tree when back in 3 weeks. I've avoided Mango Tree as it is part of a chain, I think. Oasis now has a curry served in a pineapple - very nice.

Its our 1st year anniversary of meeting on December 5th. Where would people recommend for a special meal in a great location?

It is not special in the fine dining, dress up sense but my partner when we are in Bangkok (and so do I) likes Smokin' Pug.

Run by a young very friendly American couple serving good beer to go with the food

https://www.smokinpugbbq.com/

It is not special in the fine dining, dress up sense but my partner when we are in Bangkok (and so do I) likes Smokin' Pug.

Run by a young very friendly American couple serving good beer to go with the food

https://www.smokinpugbbq.com/

We'll give this one a go when we don't want Thai. I like the fact that it is the other side of Lumphini Park. A chance to explore an area that's new to me, but only a short ride / medium walk from Silom.

Thanks for the tip