joshhb

Favourite Silom restaurants

judging by the frequency I go there (several times a week), this must be by far my favorite restaurant: 12 พี่น้อง or "12 siblings". It is a small, basic eatery which has the food ready-made out in large trays for you to select. You get a plate with rice and then on top of that a large spoonful of whichever dishes you select (usually three). They have kinda old, wooden tables and small stools inside, and it is common to sit with strangers as it is often packed. The food is all freshly made in the kitchen upstairs, so no need to worry about it being stale, let alone unsafe to eat. Very original Thai, very tasty. And, since it's all ready-made, it's real "fast food" - faster than McDonald's, only 100 times better.

I love these simple and unassuming Thai eateries too, but get paranoid about patronizing those directly fronting busy roads with their uncovered trays of tempting food exposed to all the dust and pollution of the passing traffic. I usually go to those tucked away within food courts or eating houses and relatively less exposed.

I love these simple and unassuming Thai eateries too, but get paranoid about patronizing those directly fronting busy roads with their uncovered trays of tempting food exposed to all the dust and pollution of the passing traffic. I usually go to those tucked away within food courts or eating houses and relatively less exposed.

Personally, I don't care much about that, and at this particular place turnover is fast so the food doesn't sit there all that long to collect much pollutants. But it's certainly a valid point, yes. 

I love these simple and unassuming Thai eateries too, but get paranoid about patronizing those directly fronting busy roads with their uncovered trays of tempting food exposed to all the dust and pollution of the passing traffic. 

half of that dust and pollution is already in our lungs as we inhale the same air when walking by

I ate a few times at Ruen Urai when I stayed at the Rose hotel. The food was delicious but I was always the only customer. Eating in a deserted restaurant is a bit uncomfortable.

The Mango Tree also serves nice food but I think it's overpriced. Still, my "friend" likes it and I have no complaints if he wants to eat there.

Two of my favourite restaurants are Kazan Tonkotsu ramen just last Patpong market when heading towards Soi Twilight, and Ros Niyom in the basement of Silom Complex.

Both serve very spicy food. "Kazan" in Japanese means "volcano" so that gives you an idea how hot the ramen is. Ros Niyom serves Thai street food and has some innovative dishes.

If you have a sweet tooth, try the various Japanese dessert cafes on the "canal" in the basement of Siam Paragon. They serve incredible Western-style desserts with a Japanese flair. Awesome!

I ate a few times at Ruen Urai when I stayed at the Rose hotel. The food was delicious but I was always the only customer. Eating in a deserted restaurant is a bit uncomfortable.

The Mango Tree also serves nice food but I think it's overpriced. 

I'm surprised because acting on recommendations on this forum I attempted to visit Ruen Urai twice in last few years and on both occasions  I ( or we when I was with Christian PFC ) was turned away and advised to make reservation as place was packed. Must try again.

I agree about Mango tree , delicious but expensive. Still very busy it seems

I'm surprised because acting on recommendations on this forum I attempted to visit Ruen Urai twice in last few years and on both occasions  I ( or we when I was with Christian PFC ) was turned away and advised to make reservation as place was packed. Must try again.

I agree about Mango tree , delicious but expensive. Still very busy it seems

Is there a dress code at Ruen Urai? Some places are polite when they turn you away - Like sky bars and no shorts.

My favourite restaurant is Happy Beer Garden, directly facing entrance of Soi Twilight. Many times have I brought my boy there for supper before long time.

It must be something because I was dragged there by boys for as far as Arena with so many choices in between. Inexpensive and always busy

The Rose has been moving toward business orientation for years. The restaurant inside the hotel is very nice, I have had breakfast there often. It is vastly different than the Rose hotel of old. I have not stayed there in years but the lobby, inside restaurant, etc. are very nice.

However, I take your point that they were visibly full. 

Been at Ruen Urai just a week or two ago, it was pretty busy but I was able to get a table for two. I've eaten there numerous times and never found is deserted as a447a describes.

As for the hotel, I have looked at the rooms not so long ago, looking for hotel options for a friend. Didn't like the rooms at all, really old and just not nice. The lobby and restaurant inside the hotel do look nice, true. 

I'll definitely give the Ruen Urai another try next time I'm in Bangkok.

The Rose Hotel was my go -to hotel for many years. The rooms were as Andy described, but it is in an ideal location. The bar on the left hand side of the lobby was also devoid of customers when I stayed there. And I never saw anyone in the pool.

Maybe things have changed. I hope so, as the restaurant has a very good reputation.

The ladies at reception were lovely, too.

i also loved EATME on soi phiphat (almost at the corner soi convent).

and (very expensive, but supergood),

Great restaurant that has maintained its high standards for years. Lovely atmosphere, great staff, wonderful fusion cuisine. Sadly it has become very expensive now.

Is there a dress code at Ruen Urai? Some places are polite when they turn you away - Like sky bars and no shorts.

Have eaten there many times. Always had diners at other tables. The restaurant is extremely good with great ambience and medium prices. In a totally different league from the hotel. Smart casual is probably advised. Shorts are OK but I expect flip-flops and T shirts might be frowned upon. 

Congratulations on your anniversary, hope you enjoy the place and let us know what you think

Smoking pug was great fun. Thanks for the recommendation. Very casual and authentic US country food. Huge portions. It’s not expensive - 2500 for 2 including drinks

I think however he was expecting something traditionally high end. We felt somewhat overdressed