joshhb

Favourite Silom restaurants

I think however he was expecting something traditionally high end. We felt somewhat overdressed

if your credit card can handle it and you are willing to go a little outside of Silom then try great French steaks and cocktails at Artur off Plernchit or go Thai at Baan Khanitar in Sathorn

bkkguy

Not sure if this has gone a little of the original topic but in my opinion I would suggest ....

1. Gs on Soi 4 - I love the place, on the RHS as you enter the Soi, Michael is an amazing friendly owner/mine host complemented by his excellent team, , brilliant German but also excellent Thai food and cant beat the people watching from the terrace!
  2. Coffee Club - two minutes walk if you turn right out of the Raya so very near Soi Twighlight for great breakfasts and casual light lunches, Eggs Benedict and Mango shakes to die for!.
  3. Happy Garden just opposite Soi Twighlight - wouldn't say amazing but pretty decent Thai food, very friendly and easy location!
  4. Ruen Urai in the Rose Hotel, not been for a bit but excellent higher end Thai food, lovely setting and a fair price given the quality
  5. Mango Tree - just past Tawan bar, great outdoor setting  the Duck in Pineapple is amazing, bit westernised but still a nice place for a higher end meal. 
  6. & my newest discovery (not relay Silom but an easy trip away...) on my trip a few weeks ago was the excellent outdoor terrace at the Baijoke tower, where I always felt they just catered for Chinese bus parties but they have two excellent terrace restaurants at the top with a really impressive circa about 1,500 THB probably about 8 course Thai fine dinning tasting menu and views to die for!  will definitely be back! 

There is a video circulating in fb that shows a thai chef who created a burger that claims the best burger, and he let the customer decides how much they want to pay. Its a restaurant called homeburg. Anyone have tried it? Its not in silom though.

Not sure if this has gone a little of the original topic but in my opinion I would suggest ....

1. Gs on Soi 4 - I love the place, on the RHS as you enter the Soi, Michael is an amazing friendly owner/mine host complemented by his excellent team, , brilliant German but also excellent Thai food and cant beat the people watching from the terrace!
  2. Coffee Club - two minutes walk if you turn right out of the Raya so very near Soi Twighlight for great breakfasts and casual light lunches, Eggs Benedict and Mango shakes to die for!.
  3. Happy Garden just opposite Soi Twighlight - wouldn't say amazing but pretty decent Thai food, very friendly and easy location!
  4. Ruen Urai in the Rose Hotel, not been for a bit but excellent higher end Thai food, lovely setting and a fair price given the quality
  5. Mango Tree - just past Tawan bar, great outdoor setting  the Duck in Pineapple is amazing, bit westernised but still a nice place for a higher end meal. 
  6. & my newest discovery (not relay Silom but an easy trip away...) on my trip a few weeks ago was the excellent outdoor terrace at the Baijoke tower, where I always felt they just catered for Chinese bus parties but they have two excellent terrace restaurants at the top with a really impressive circa about 1,500 THB probably about 8 course Thai fine dinning tasting menu and views to die for!  will definitely be back! 

OMG, with so many tasty option , no wonder we have "Overweight Passengers " thread on the forum

I just read a terrible review of G's in a Bangkok restaurant guide:

https://bk.asia-city.com/restaurants/bangkok-restaurant-reviews/g%E2%80%99s-bangkok

Any opinions?

as far as I'm concerned  I don't pay any attention to reviews of people I don't know so I  rather side with paufort says above, at least he is contributor here
          By the way there's  that side note in a piece you attached link to:

23795241_10159505040695398_7445458001340

Sylvan Smyth
It’s a lot better now at G’s new location on Soi 4.

Well I have no idea what their on about, I have eaten at G's several times now and have enjoyed the food (the German food) , beer and prompt service every time and I will be eating there again next trip

I completely understand your excitement paborn. Your trip is mid Jan? We look forward to the report after.

Here is my contribution since I recall there was a post where you mentioned not being 100% comfortable with disreputable street food: http://www.artisantraveller.com/2017/05/24/pad-thai-saladang/

In response to PeterRS, I am not a huge fan of EatMe, found it overpriced and tables too close together for private conversation. It was both funny and embarrassing that my friend and I were having an enthusiastic discussion on our favourite Gogo bars while two adorable gay Thai boys were on a hi-so date night right next to us. They couldn’t help eavesdropping on us with surreptitiously appalled expressions, the audio equivalent of car wreck fascination.

There is a new restaurant on Soi Suksa, Bunker, which seems similarly trendy and getting great reviews. I’ll give this a try and post a review on next visit, or if anyone is there before me, would be great to hear feedback. Looks like a nice place to treat a favourite boy. And I’ve always liked the classic Italian, Zanotti. They do a good lunch set.

Well I have no idea what their on about, I have eaten at G's several times now and have enjoyed the food (the German food) , beer and prompt service every time and I will be eating there again next trip

It's why I ignore  opinion of strangers , food is notorious as hard to judge by what other people say as we all have different tastes and are used to different staples and treat for one is just a feed for other .

Often people are just getting back at venue because they did not like something, in this internet era both praise and slander are  easy to distribute

. Looks like a nice place to treat a favourite boy. 

We should ensure that boy thinks along the same lines.

Few times  I  noticed they don't feel comfortable even if I wanted to treat them. We may not notice those stares and not understand what is said but they will . I almost always  treat my long time offs with   dinner and breakfast but learned long time ago to leave choice of venue to them.

We should ensure that boy thinks along the same lines.

Few times I noticed they don't feel comfortable even if I wanted to treat them. We may not notice those stares and not understand what is said but they will . I almost always treat my long time offs with dinner and breakfast but learned long time ago to leave choice of venue to them.

Yes full agreement. There are two boys I will take out for a meal (not just the eating before or after an off, which is whatever is most convenient or agreeable to both of us). One is very confident and has already been to hi-so dining establishments with other customers. Apart from nice restaurants he has accompanied me to a sky bar (his idea) and Maggie Choos on Sunday gay night (which he actually hated because the other patrons stared at him like a piece of meat). The other doesn’t like farang food and a treat to him is if we eat simple fare near his bar and he is allowed to invite a bar mate to join for dinner before show time, which wins him a lot of face.

Thank you very much for the excellent ideas. My boyfriend and I will be staying in that area for eight days over New Year’s, and I definitely want to try some of your recommendations. If I may add one to the list — Benjarong, in the lobby of the Dusit Thani, which closes for good Jan. 6 so it can prepare for its date with the wrecking ball. It’s fine dining and pricy. The food is classic Thai but with a nod to modern fusion. I especially like the green curry beef rib, which is slow-cooked for 24 hours. A real melt-in-your mouth Thai pleaser.

Others have mentioned Ruen Urai, and I’m vouching for that, too.

Hey, does anyone have any favorite mango and sticky rice stalls in the area?

or Sizzler Salad bar with a vegetarian friend (to my surprise, they have pasta and other food so I can have a full meal there).

Something I have learned from more than one Thai acquaintance (independently of each other). If you order a main course in Sizzler, it iincludes the salad bar for free. You dine exclusively on the salad bar and ask the staff to package the main course for carry out (they will do this). You get 2 meals for the price of one.

I've heard from countless sources over the years that the mango sticky rice in the restaurant at Jim Thompson's is the very best.

Yes, it's delicious! Very overpriced for such a small serve but the presentation on the plate is beautiful.

I find Sizzler's food very bland and full of sugar. Yuk!

Something I have learned from more than one Thai acquaintance (independently of each other). If you order a main course in Sizzler, it iincludes the salad bar for free. You dine exclusively on the salad bar and ask the staff to package the main course for carry out (they will do this). You get 2 meals for the price of one.

personally I would recommend you start dining on the main course - if you have any taste you won't get very far so take the leftovers and the salad home and give to your neighbors/boyfriend to feed to their pigs. That way you get two merit points - you get to loose some weight and the pigs get nicely fattened up for market

bkkguy

Nevere mind! i found it - a bit tucked away and the photos show it's well known

We went there last Monday, and maybe because of the public holiday, it was closed. We tried again on Tuesday. Not open! Has anyone checked it out recently?

Went to Fork and Cork for the first time. Great addition to our list of favourites.

So, in summary my opinion of the best ones are, in order of quality

88 Eatery and Bar

Oasis

Fork and Cork

G's

After Hours

They are all very good, at reasonable prices.