joshhb

Favourite Silom restaurants

That's interesting....The Sphinx was my first part-of-call on arrival in Bangkok  a decade or so back. How does F & C compare?  Is it worth a visit, in your view?

it depends on what you liked about Sphinx originally - I seriously lost interest after the first few management (and subsequent customer) changes and once the social media boffins and their followers who considered F & C a "better" Internet meme took over I just gave up altogether - your mileage may vary

bkkguy

BKKGuy, it may be my age but this is unintelligible to me. What are you talking about?

I freely admit I am an old curmudgeon and I don't use social media, and I like to go to places because I like the food, the service, the ambiance and feel comfortable in the typical crowd

when I consider Sphinx was at its best none of the customers went there mainly to take pictures of their food or themselves and post them on Instagram and facebook - they went there because they liked Ray or even Jerry, or because they knew a lot of people that went there regularly or got on well with the staff

while the Sphinx name and original decor may have been a little twee the Fuck & Cock or whatever they are called now, and the "iconic" motorcycle on the wall and the Instagram/facebook crowd there to be seen consuming the new menu items and fancy cocktails try my patience - and my enjoyment of a meal there

I think there are - for me - many better options in Bangkok but I haven't been there for quite a while and perhaps the place and the typical customer have changed again, or as I said "your mileage may vary"

bkkguy

I like to go to places because I like the food, the service, the ambiance and feel comfortable in the typical crowd

Well, BKKguy:

This sentence I totally agree with but Facebook is only about 14 years old and did not exist when I first went to the Sphinx ( my memory might be at fault ) as I was going there in the mid to late '90s. I went for the food, the quiet good service. It was a great place to take a Thai boyfriend without encountering hiso Thais but had everything, you could want from cigars to fine port. So, maybe we agree as I have not been to the new place but have planning on it for pure nostalgia.

I too loved Sphinx in the late 90s....the service, the ambiance and the food . There seemed to be a decline in many ways after this and, in my view, it was over-priced by the time I stopped going in about 2003. What was on offer seemed no better than other places with much lower prices

But I shall certainly try F & C drung my short (very short) stay in BKK next month.