Moses

SGT and Siamroads

Looks like someone has reloaded from an old back up  - lets just hope that they HAD made their more recent back ups as they should have and that it's just a matter of they've selected the wrong file to go from otherwise it looks like posts will be forced back to 10th November perhaps and anything past that lost maybe  - fingers crossed. 

I'm sure Moses will be having words with those responsible, either for the breakdown or lack of swift action to repair and or replacement of correct last back up as for any server company to tell you "sorry it's the weekend we'll have a look at that but it might be Monday before we get anywhere with it  - and then install the wrong / an old backup " maybe wouldn't be a company you'd instantly be thinking of hosting your site on.  

But maybe there's a simple explanation and all will be repaired and updated back to normal again shortly - lets hope so anyway - as I dont know WHAT we'll all do if even just some of the many pearls of ( alleged) wit and wisdom that are shared there between some of us are lost FOREVER never to be recovered !!   Ohhh the very thought if that - God FORBID!!!   lol

I assume you are being sarcastic NIrish and/or have never hosted a web site but given web site hosting ranges from $10 on a shared server with minimal backup and out-of-hours support to $10,000+ on multiple redundant servers with guaranteed uptime of 99.9% with zero loss of data and 24/7 support, how much do you think it would be reasonable for Moses to dedicate to SGT in terms of financial, hardware and human resources to satisfy SGT site users' demands for acceptable downtime and loss of post data?

bkkguy

I assume you are being sarcastic NIrish and/or have never hosted a web site but given web site hosting ranges from $10 on a shared server with minimal backup and out-of-hours support to $10,000+ on multiple redundant servers with guaranteed uptime of 99.9% with zero loss of data and 24/7 support, how much do you think it would be reasonable for Moses to dedicate to SGT in terms of financial, hardware and human resources to satisfy SGT site users' demands for acceptable downtime and loss of post data?

bkkguy

lets hope so anyway - as I dont know WHAT we'll all do if even just some of the many pearls of ( alleged) wit and wisdom that are shared there between some of us are lost FOREVER never to be recovered !!   Ohhh the very thought if that - God FORBID!!!   lol

On the contrary BKKguy, I read Nirish Guy's comment as a build up to this poignant and accurate point regarding what that site has become.

SGT remains a very interesting site for those who are open minded and not dogmatic and constricted. The casual acceptance or dismissal of various points of view makes the forum alive and quite often enjoyable with the participants.

Certainly as with other fora, one comes across people with overbearing opinions over simple matters. Oh well, not everyone is a vegan.

Looks like someone has reloaded from an old back up  - lets just hope that they HAD made their more recent back ups as they should have and that it's just a matter of they've selected the wrong file to go from otherwise it looks like posts will be forced back to 10th November perhaps and anything past that lost maybe  - fingers crossed. 

I'm sure Moses will be having words with those responsible, either for the breakdown or lack of swift action to repair and or replacement of correct last back up as for any server company to tell you "sorry it's the weekend we'll have a look at that but it might be Monday before we get anywhere with it  - and then install the wrong / an old backup " maybe wouldn't be a company you'd instantly be thinking of hosting your site on.  

But maybe there's a simple explanation and all will be repaired and updated back to normal again shortly - lets hope so anyway - as I dont know WHAT we'll all do if even just some of the many pearls of ( alleged) wit and wisdom that are shared there between some of us are lost FOREVER never to be recovered !!   Ohhh the very thought if that - God FORBID!!!   lol

Good try. But I will not buy it dear.

SGT lost data only of last 10-12 hours before failure: we do daily backup on another server in another location.

Technicians still tune new server, but sites are working normally already. In case somebody has troubles to log-in, please clear cache in browser.

Moses said  - "Good try. But I will not buy it dear.'

Hmmm?  There was no attempt at "trying" anything, dont be getting all defensive again there Moses. I (wrongly it seems) assumed that you farmed out your server hosting and back up etc to another company to do and so assumed that it was their systems that had fallen over and also assumed that they'd simply reloaded from the wrong back up ( as I said in my post).

As apparently that's not the case and it is just you yourself hosting on your own server there then fair enough, these things happen I guess and if you've only lost 12 hours of posts then it's not the end of the world.

My point about maybe losing random pearls of wisdom "forever" by posters was of course totally tongue in cheek as I doubt the world revolves on anything posted on any of the boards ( no matter how much some posters might like to think otherwise about the importance of their and our collective posts !)  :)

SGT remains a very interesting site for those who are open minded and not dogmatic and constricted. The casual acceptance or dismissal of various points of view makes the forum alive and quite often enjoyable with the participants.

Certainly as with other fora, one comes across people with overbearing opinions over simple matters.

Nicely said.  Sawatdee Network also has a feedback forum for members to provide feedback or air their grievances.  The newish moderator, Jellybean, is also quite helpful.

Nicely said.  Sawatdee Network also has a feedback forum for members to provide feedback or air their grievances.  The newish moderator, Jellybean, is also quite helpful.

I find that a little unbelievable, there is a little of name calling and disrespect to each other etc on that forum.