JimmyJoe

Taking boys on a trip outside Thailand, steely stares of disapproval

This year, me, a 58 y.o, farang and my 25 y.o Thai fiancé have been to Malaysia, Myanmar (twice), UAE (twice), Laos and Turkey. 3 out of the 5 are Muslim counties. No problems whatsoever. Just be respectful to local culture around locals. The ex-pats have no problems.

Let me guess, don't walk down the street hugging kissing like teenagers and no one will even notice, let alone care that two people are traveling together.

Exactly. Given that Thai culture does not go in for public display of affection, just carry on with the same.

I wonder if this is true or perhaps just up to the individual boy? I am not questioning you but was also under the assumptions Thais were more reserved in public. And I was rather surprised when the boy gave me a big farewell hug and Thai sniff under the watchful eyes of the hotel bellhop....I was the uncomfortable one!

Hank, the hotel that allowed him in with no question might not be "public" in his mind. He might be there a couple of times a week. 

More his place of business than a public place.  Tell me he did it in the middle of Siam Center and I will, better, see your point.

Hank, the hotel that allowed him in with no question might not be "public" in his mind. He might be there a couple of times a week.

More his place of business than a public place. Tell me he did it in the middle of Siam Center and I will, better, see your point.

In fact that was it exactly - I was on an expensed work trip and had him over to stay at a very nice 5 star in the Siam area! I was taken aback, but the bellhop took it in his stride....I suppose you do see it all working at a high end hotel.

In fact that was it exactly - I was on an expensed work trip and had him over to stay at a very nice 5 star in the Siam area! I was taken aback, but the bellhop took it in his stride....I suppose you do see it all working at a high end hotel.

( my underscore )

and not much less it not more in low end hotel.

I think paborn with his ' place of work' theory is correct. Last month on my first night , deep into the night but at still fairy busy soi Thaniya   one of Jupiter boys spied me walking along and rushed to greet me. I offed him many times / I think 9 / before and he never was showing any sign of affection in public  but there ! 

Not  a gram of shyness, hugs , kisses , more hugs and longer kisses, getting hot in here !

So I had the same thought , in sanctuary of the soi  regular rules of behavior in public are somewhat relaxed

Hank, in my experience there are two kinds of hotels where there is no problem.  Gay or Gay-friendly hotels and the 5-star hotels were they would never, ever embarrass a high-end guest. It's the small middle of the road hotels that give a problem. but, I'll walk into a Ritz Carlton with not an eyebrow raised - they would never.

I'm retired now but I swear to you I traveled like Santa Clause during my working years and this never failed.

Ah, the baggage of my life is endless...

Seriously, I traveled weekly for many years. During one two year period, I left my home in the US and went to Toronto every Monday for three days. Every week.  Oh, the joys of the old "sneakers bar on Yonge St. My eyes are misting over with the memories.

Hank, in my experience there are two kinds of hotels where there is no problem. Gay or Gay-friendly hotels and the 5-star hotels were they would never, ever embarrass a high-end guest. It's the small middle of the road hotels that give a problem. but, I'll walk into a Ritz Carlton with not an eyebrow raised - they would never.

I'm retired now but I swear to you I traveled like Santa Clause during my working years and this never failed.

I agree with you, but my comment was in relation to the boy’s public affection and lack of shyness within a hi-so setting. Out of keeping with his usual demeanour as well as my expectation of where he might feel “comfortable” enough to be demonstrative.

On a side note it always amuses me to no end when I pull open the mini bar drawer in a high end Bangkok hotel and find a thoughtful pack of condoms next to the Oreos.

I have lived four years in the states with my very young looking partner.  We have had no problems with hotels, restaurants, or people in general.  Yes, we do live in a very liberal city, but we have had no hassles  elsewhere when we travel in the USA.  Yes, people do look and they are curious, but they mind their own business. I do not know if Americans are now more relaxed about gay couples, or if it is our attitudes, but people usually are very nice, even extra nice to us.  Our attitude is centered on the fact that we are legally married, we are doing nothing wrong, and if there is a problem, it is not our problem. 

Not trying to take this thread too far off course, but...

Seems there is no problem with young Thais traveling outside their Country.

That is not the case in the "Beautiful" Philippines.

I have experienced first hand and been told by others the problem Pinoys have with their own Immigration Service.

Even if they have a passport and a valid RT Ticket they are still denied boarding for a trip outside the Country.

Sad and Stupid!!

I have experienced first hand and been told by others the problem Pinoys have with their own Immigration Service.

Even if they have a passport and a valid RT Ticket they are still denied boarding for a trip outside the Country.

Sad and Stupid!!

How is that possible? Do they need an exit visa of some kind for their own country?

Sad and Stupid!!

Im hoping I find a husband when i go to the Phillipines next year !!

Im hoping I find a husband when i go to the Phillipines next year !!

I am sure you will be successful. Filipino boys are warm, affectionate, communicative, and their good English is definitely a bonus. BUT they are less trustworthy than Thai boys, scams are common. So be very careful. Sometimes the entire family (girlfriend/wife/brother/sister/parents/in laws) are in on the plot to take advantage of the stupid foreigner and it may not be as simple as just asking you for money. You can still find a good guy. Just have to keep your wits about you.

How is that possible? Do they need an exit visa of some kind for their own country?

Noyesno. (jein in german).

Since many years the PH emigration services have a strict eye on what they look at possibly sexual services/exploitation (i.e. mostly maids for the Arab Gulf), due to many previous mishaps, or even murder. And logically this mostly thus has to happen at the MNL airport. They also warn/''protect'' for other countries seen as being a den of such vices, Th notably of course high in that list. And yes, it happens fairly often that friends (of whatever sexe) seen as being to much in danger are refused exit.

Other countries as yours may have many more seemingly incredible ways to protect their own citizens.

Other countries as yours may have many more seemingly incredible ways to protect their own citizens.

I researched this and if even a foreigner, stays in PH for more than 6 months they have to secure an exit clearance from an immigration office two weeks before departure. I don't know if this applies to PH citizens but it seems likely that it applies to a list of countries where there have been issues. Bureaucracy may be byzantine but, if one looks carefully, there is a rule, not just random airport problems.