paborn

Payment methods

A recent story from a venerable member here about arriving without an ATM card got me thinking about my resources should that happen or if I lost it.

I've, recently, heard that bars are beginning to take credit cards for bar bills, including offs. How extensive is that?  Even with my ATM I always worry that I will run short of cash on an evening out, this could relieve those worries.

Does this work in Pattaya as well as Bangkok?

A gogo bar is definitely one of the places where I would use cash.   For a start, if you let the card out of your sight, there is a risk that the card is cloned. 

Also, could you imagine the haggling with the more greedy type of mamasans about the amount you are going to be charged ?

With cash, you can just put the exact amount of cash you want to pay in the check bin and hand it to them.

The only time I have ever used a credit card in Thailand was for booking on line airline & bus tickets.     Even the bus tickets were a waste of time, as the bus was almost empty so I could have rolled up and bought a ticket for cash.

After a lifetime of consulting, I still believe cash is bad. Don't run up debt, pay the damn bill when it comes, don't spend more than you can - just treat the card as a payment vehicle. Hell, I get points for it. I even pay my taxes by card - I have the money and will pay the bill but I get points. Travel points, points I spend onAmazon. Proper sensible, fiscally responsible management of credit it a fantastic plus.

I'm delighted to find they are accepting cards. I wouldn't buy a porch chop without my card!

By the way, why would I haggle? check bin handled over with the card - rather simple I would say.

Those trips I mention to the Caribbean? Fully half the tickets were free using my card for groceries. I rejoice that my off fees might buy me a sojourn in Santo Domingo.

Also, could you imagine the haggling with the more greedy type of mamasans about the amount you are going to be charged ?

With cash, you can just put the exact amount of cash you want to pay in the check bin and hand it to them.

As the drink prices and off fees are fixed, I am unsure where “haggling” comes in- the only haggling is with the boy regarding his tip which is paid in cash anyway.

I have never had a bad experience paying with credit card in bars. The check is always correct. Moonlight’s credit card facility is actually operated under the Hot Male business registration so I assume Hot Male too accepts cards.

I've never seen anyone paying with a credit card in a gay bar, but I wouldn't be surprised if BBB accepted them, given that it is a large and popular bar.

I've been a cash person all my working life - in Japan cash is king.

But since returning to Australia to live I've relied solely on my credit card. I don't carry cash at all. Not a single cent.

In Thailand It's a different matter, I use it to go shopping and to withdraw cash for my fun. But I'd never take it to a bar ; everything there I pay for in cash.

On occasion I've run out of money and had to return to the hotel to grab some more from the safe. No big deal.

Walking around the bars with a credit card at night is akin to walking around with your passport. Both stay in the safe.

I also take a debit card with me just in case I lose the credit card. But I've never used it in Asia.

At the start of the financial year I load up the card with a year's worth of money to be used for my travels, including fun in Thailand and elsewhere. At the end of the financial year I donate any money which is left over and then load the card up again for the next year. That way I avoid interest payments.

a447a - Interesting thoughts but here're mine:

I'm retired and live on income from investments and want the max amount earning for me at all times. I started with a travel fund that I keep in an interest-bearing account. I add to that from my monthly budget in a regular withdrawal amount as I take the same sum monthly to meet my expenses. This way I'm earning all the time and one can also avoid interest by simply paying the bill when presented.

I don't carry my passport and only one credit card at a time. I use a small, front pocket, travel wallet. It is so easy to report a stolen card today that I don't worry. I worry more that I lose an ATM card and can't access cash - that ATM card accesses my travel fund account.