JimmyJoe

How much do you tip waiter?

I’m wondering how much people tip waiters at gogo bars. I’ve often found the check bin process unnerving with people, I hadn’t ever noticed before, hovering around and hoping for tips. One thing I have learned from this forum: from now on I will pay with exact change so I can easily keep track of my change and who and how much gets tipped.

Usually, I will have bought two or three drinks (one for me). I usually tip the waiter 20B per drink or a straight 50B.

Is this amount ok? Should I place this on top of the book that arrives containing the check? Nothing inside?

Now on to the highly controversial part. Usually I do not seek advice from mamasans, But they always hover around, much as I try to shoo them away, to no avail.

I almost never even consider tipping them. When they are too pushy, I sometimes want to just jump up and leave the bar, cock-blocked, so to speak.

But sometimes I do end up asking them about the boys and some of them (e.g. in Toy Boys) I actually like, a little bit. So, in that case, how much should I tip? Somehow 100B seems like too much and 20B insulting, though I remember one at Power Boys standing by the door as I was leaving with her hand out saying, “20B”…which I did not give her, BTW.

Most of my experience is in Pattaya.

How much do you guys tip waiters and, if ever, mamasans?

I’ve talked a lot about mamasans but I’m especially interested in waiter tips.

Now on to the highly controversial part. Usually I do not seek advice from mamasans, But they always hover around, much as I try to shoo them away, to no avail.

I almost never even consider tipping them. When they are too pushy, I sometimes want to just jump up and leave the bar, cock-blocked, so to speak.

But sometimes I do end up asking them about the boys and some of them (e.g. in Toy Boys) I actually like, a little bit. So, in that case, how much should I tip? Somehow 100B seems like too much and 20B insulting, though I remember one at Power Boys standing by the door as I was leaving with her hand out saying, “20B”…which I did not give her, BTW.

I'm fairly firm at telling mamasans to go away.   If the mamasan is a pest, then there is zero chance of the mamasan or waiters getting a tip.     I don't tip people who are trying to ruin what is otherwise one of life's better experiences.

Incidentally, the worst of the mamasans drive the boys away to other bars as well as the customers.

If the bar visit has been satisfactory, I generally may leave 20~30 baht in the bin.   

If unsatisfactory, to the extent where I feel I've already wasted the price of a drink and will not be back, then no tip.

In the RARE cases where the mamasan has been helpful when required AND kept out of the way when not, I may tip 50~100 baht, 100 if clearly helpful.   

When I open a bottle of whisky at Jupiter, I tip regular mamasan 200 B, and 100 B each for three waiters, which seems to be tipping protocol for regulars.

Other bars, I don’t always tip mamasan and waiters but when I do tip, it’s always 100 B note and never with 20B notes.

I hand tip directly to waiter/mamasan and leave coins /20 B notes in the check bin wallet.

Guest Promsak

He brought me a drink;that's his job anyway.

You must understand that in many places, the waiter gets NO salary and relies on tips for his income.

If you put the tip in the billfold or tray, the tip is shared -- if in his hand or on top of billfold, that is for him personally.

"the staff are salaried" - yes, they go home each night to their lovely condos and get some rest. You know, I'm not a wealthy man but I can afford to travel to Bangkok and when there I tip at least reasonably if not generously. How can we not tip at least 10 to 15% and look ourselves in the mirror?

When I open a bottle of whisky at Jupiter, I tip regular mamasan 200 B, and 100 B each for three waiters, which seems to be tipping protocol for regulars.

Hi Jasper

Your tipping protocol seems about right for me for when you open a bottle

As a matter of interest, what is the cost of opening a bottle of whiskey in Jupiter (and what brand/size)

I presume its the usual routine where staff (Waiters, mamasans) can drink for free if invited... but you must buy separate drinks for the boys?

We have paid 1500 in Screwboys for a 1000ml bottle of 100 pipers and 2000 for 700ml Red Label, which is pretty much the same as Pattaya pricing

Thanks in Advance

As a matter of interest, what is the cost of opening a bottle of whiskey in Jupiter (and what brand/size)

They recently increased whiskey bottle price along with off fee/entrance ( incl. one drink) fee.

750 ml Chivas Legal now 3500B from 3000B.

1L Jonny Walker Black used to cost 3500B so presumably 4000B now.

I presume its the usual routine where staff (Waiters, mamasans) can drink for free if invited... but you must buy separate drinks for the boys?

You don’t need to buy separate drinks for boys if you have a bottle opened.

But they wouldn’t receive usual kick back 150B from boy drink if they drink from your bottle so need to be compensated in form of tip, I guess.

JimmyJoe, you tipping protocol seems appropriate, to me.

I normally tip the waiter 20 Baht and sometimes 40 Baht if have another drink. If I buy a drink for someone else I add  20 Baht to the tip.

Rarely tip a mamasan but sometimes when I know them I  tip them 100 Baht.

almost the same here.

I tip waiter  20 baht per trip  to my seat. He brings me drink , it's 20 , he brings drink to boy I invited 20 minutes later, another 20.

But when I order another round for both me and boy  or I'm visiting bar with somebody and drinks are on me , it will be still 20 , even if he actually brings 2 drinks.

If waiter taking order is the same who is bringing it , money will land in his palm. If that's different guy, money will go to the folder.

Almost religiously I try to have always exact change so there's no misunderstanding.

Mamasans generally are not getting tip unless  I enlisted their help or are actually providing nice conversation which sometimes happens, again , usually with ones who recognize me from before, then it's 50-100. If they want more usually I ask ' can I see your cock"

How can we not tip at least 10 to 15% and look ourselves in the mirror?

some people may not believe in American cultural supremacy and very idea of giving money to somebody for doing his job may be very foreign / Japanese , most Pacific islanders and countless others including local Thais /.

Not every Cheap Charlie is actually one.

if what your saying is true some waiter only receive tips as a salary then more fool them! get a job that pays as its not coming from my charity wallet, especially as ive seen many bars over staffed with waiters. I can sah--peak thai so ive no need for waiters/mamasans

on that note if im in a good mood or they do something to my advantage I will make sure I reward them in kind

As the baht rate is so low at the moment ill make a conscious habit not to tip, especially as I will be out every night & visiting 2-3 gogo's. Also I need use ATMs at around 250/300bt  go, so if the banks/government want to take advantage of falang then I see its only fair that I don't tip & their own people suffer in the long run

you got to beat them at their own game in this country especially if you just seen as a walking wallet!

paul dont get personal & lower the tone on this board.  its thanks to people like you I haven't posted for around 3 yrs!

if the baht rate goes up or I get the promotion ive applied for, ill tip, until then I can just about afford to go to los & have been saving a year for it! did you ever consider that, no! please take your shallow mind off this forum

to summarise don't get personal, the forums where very bitches a few yrs ago & not worth a read, we don't want that returning thanks to people like you. Further more if your capable of reading English I said I DO tip sometimes so how can I be a cheap charile

post constructively or don't bother!

anyone know how I can block or not be able to see paul STFU  comments in future please?

Lower the tone on this board????????/

You have to be kidding. Sure, this is one of the politest boards around and I often applaud that. But, these endless discussions of penny-pinching is what leads many to not post. It is unbelievable, in fact, almost unbearable.

American Cultural supremacy??? Really, are we going back to that endless discussion of tipping? Frankly, if you can't afford to tip the staff you should stay at home. We are NOT - for the very last time - tipping in Australia or the Pacific Islands we are discussing go-go bars in Thailand. Christ, give it a rest.

I need use ATMs at around 250/300bt  go, so if the banks/government want to take advantage of falang then I see its only fair that I don't tip & their own people suffer in the long run

​Yes, of course.  Waiters should suffer because banks charge fees for ATM use.  That's clear enough.   Perhaps that should be printed in Thai on small cards and a card given to each waiter in place of a tip.  They would certainly applaud such financial acumen.

American Cultural supremacy??? Really, are we going back to that endless discussion of tipping? Frankly, if you can't afford to tip the staff you should stay at home.

If you don't like the tipping threads don't read them. In practice you have both read and participated in the thread. So you are in no place to moan.

Also whilst you are at it, it's not your place to tell someone to stay at home just because they don't apply US tipping standards in Asia.

That demonstrates the cultural supremacy issue referred to by Shuee.

Try appreciating that other cultures have different tipping practices to the US.

Wow, the truth must hurt.

1. Yes, I do participate. I'm merely expressing some exasperation at how little some want to tip kids in a third world economy. I find it shameful - but, up to you.

2. I never told anyone to stay at home if they don't meet US tipping standards. I said you should stay safely at home if you can't afford a decent tip and I made very clear that I was talking about the local Thai bars and a reasonable market rate tip. 

3. We have been all over the idea of different cultures having different tipping practices. THE BARS DO NOT EXIST IN THOSE OTHER PLACES. THEY ARE IN THAILAND WERE IT IS CUSTOMARY TO TIP.

This nonsense of US Cultural norms is nothing but a smokescreen to hide behind. The truth is some people are just to tight fisted to give a kid a fair and reasonable tip BY THAI STANDARDS.

Many wait staff only work for tips and you say it’s their fault as they should get a better job.

Then you say you can’t affort a bank transfer fee or to tip a waiter. Maybe you should look for a better job.

I admit I tip very well. But I don’t judge people that don’t want to. It’s a personal choice. What I have a problem with is your hypocrisy and sheer glee in the fact that you take pride in stiffing the work staff . Save your 20 baht, you might need a little someday.

paul dont get personal & lower the tone on this board.  its thanks to people like you I haven't posted for around 3 yrs!

if the baht rate goes up or I get the promotion ive applied for, ill tip, until then I can just about afford to go to los & have been saving a year for it! did you ever consider that, no! please take your shallow mind off this forum

to summarise don't get personal, the forums where very bitches a few yrs ago & not worth a read, we don't want that returning thanks to people like you. Further more if your capable of reading English I said I DO tip sometimes so how can I be a cheap charile

post constructively or don't bother!

anyone know how I can block or not be able to see paul STFU  comments in future please?

You're blindly attacking one of the people here who seldom posts and are very circumspect in what he writes.

No one is asking that you be overly generous or wild or even AMERICAN in your tipping. But, I'll say it again and you can whine. If you can barely afford to come to LOS then save for a few more months and be decent in the way you treat the boys.