JimmyJoe

How much do you tip waiter?

American Cultural supremacy??? Really, are we going back to that endless discussion of tipping? Frankly, if you can't afford to tip the staff you should stay at home.

you see, not only you are trying to force your tipping habits on rest of the world but it looks that cultural imperialism includes also  telling people when  they should go for their  vacations

Back to the topic ignoring all the banters, i dont tip gogobar waiters. I tip boys, i tip helpful mamasan, i buy drinks (very inflated price of a drink) i buy boy drink, i pay off fee, i tips performers who i like, i tip gogoboy that i like. Waiter doesnt seems to be on the list of my tipping. I dont order second drink for myself, as i normally dont stay long. I usually go to Jupiter, tawan, dreamboy, moonlight only. And i dont have excuses why i dont tip waiters. Maybe i should, but based on previous visits, i didnt. Cant anyone here gives some facts about waiter in gogobar? Do they really dont have salary? If they dont, i feel guilty now of not tipping. To be honest, some of the bars, the mamasan brings the water, so in that case, they get tips from me, after helping me out with the boys.

As the baht rate is so low at the moment ill make a conscious habit not to tip, especially as I will be out every night & visiting 2-3 gogo's. Also I need use ATMs at around 250/300bt  go, so if the banks/government want to take advantage of falang then I see its only fair that I don't tip & their own people suffer in the long run

you got to beat them at their own game in this country especially if you just seen as a walking wallet!

you are trying to get back at waiters for bankers milking you for ATM fees and poor exchange rates? Doesn't sound  neither  fair  nor wise,   

paul dont get personal & lower the tone on this board.  its thanks to people like you I haven't posted for around 3 yrs!

if the baht rate goes up or I get the promotion ive applied for, ill tip, until then I can just about afford to go to los & have been saving a year for it! did you ever consider that, no! please take your shallow mind off this forum

to summarise don't get personal, the forums where very bitches a few yrs ago & not worth a read, we don't want that returning thanks to people like you. Further more if your capable of reading English I said I DO tip sometimes so how can I be a cheap charile

post constructively or don't bother!

anyone know how I can block or not be able to see paul STFU  comments in future please?

pretty nasty and undeserved comments by  anybody , never mind somebody who did not participate in forum for that long. There are nicer ways of returning with big bang.

If you opt to have shallow pockets it's  your choice but don't invoice service personnel in Thai bars for your earning and saving troubles

you see, not only you are trying to force your tipping habits on rest of the world but it looks that cultural imperialism includes also  telling people when  they should go for their  vacations

Sad. You really don't see the hypocrisy, do you?  

You really don't seem to get the concept that I'm discussing tipping in THAILAND. I don't care whether you tip or not but don't pretend that tipping in go-go bars is to be blamed on the ugly American or that you are somehow noble for your beliefs.

Back to the topic ignoring all the banters, i dont tip gogobar waiters. I tip boys, i tip helpful mamasan, i buy drinks (very inflated price of a drink) i buy boy drink, i pay off fee, i tips performers who i like, i tip gogoboy that i like. Waiter doesnt seems to be on the list of my tipping. I dont order second drink for myself, as i normally dont stay long. I usually go to Jupiter, tawan, dreamboy, moonlight only. And i dont have excuses why i dont tip waiters. Maybe i should, but based on previous visits, i didnt. Cant anyone here gives some facts about waiter in gogobar? Do they really dont have salary? If they dont, i feel guilty now of not tipping. To be honest, some of the bars, the mamasan brings the water, so in that case, they get tips from me, after helping me out with the boys.

it sounds like your trying to be fair. that's all anyone can ask.

You really don't seem to get the concept that I'm discussing tipping in THAILAND. I don't care whether you tip or not but don't pretend that tipping in go-go bars is to be blamed on the ugly American or that you are somehow noble for your beliefs.

190/130 already ?

why are  you so agitated ?

Some societies invented way of paying service providers decent salaries, Americans instead invented band-aid  called tipping which allows employers to pay pittance  on understanding that kindness of strangers will supplement  that meager income.

I am a chronic overtipper (bad habit) and as commented before, I prefer using credit card since I usually go to a bar with 1-2 friends and will open a bottle rather than pay for individual drinks and boy drinks and mamasan drink. So I rarely tip into the billfold because I only need to sign a credit card slip and don’t like rummaging in my wallet for small notes as the waiter stares hopefully at me. When I leave, I tip once straight into the hand of the waiter who has served me that evening, 200 baht because they will have served at least two of us plus a boy. If there is more than one waiter, it is whoever is lucky enough to be there when I leave to receive the tip.

Edit: there were two occasions I have tipped a waiter 300. One was exceptionally cute, and the other was rather annoying but had a trove of boys’ naughty pics on his phone that he let me peek at. LOL.

Yes I also tip mamasans. I tend to like mamasans in Moonlight, Jupiter and Dreamboy as they are helpful and not annoying at least to me.

You don’t need to buy separate drinks for boys if you have a bottle opened.

But they wouldn’t receive usual kick back 150B from boy drink if they drink from your bottle so need to be compensated in form of tip, I guess.

Good to know. I have always wondered about this. I will remember to tip more next time. Boys always tend to flock over when they see a bottle being opened, so I was unsure if they received a cut of bottle price for sitting down and having a drink. Or if they just like a free drink even if they receive nothing for it?

nothing bad, you just try to distribute world's wealth more evenly

Vinapu, you are a generous individual and like me believe in paying a premium to secure the boys we want. But I think even you would have been shocked at what I tipped a mamasan in a moment of goodwill and, I admit it, alcoholic haze. To be fair he delivered excellent service that night but overtipping mamasans just for doing their job well is definitely what we would call, diminishing returns. Let’s just say I could have a short time in Pattaya. And I did the same on a subsequent visit just because I was too embarrassed to reduce the tip and thought “in for a penny....” If I keep this up, the world’s wealth will become uneven and not in my favour!

But I rarely tip performers unless I call them down for a drink or have an intention to off. Nice to have a smile or a wai from a cute lad but I will be forgotten in ten minutes when the China high roller shows up with his wad of 1000 baht bills.

190/130 already ?

why are  you so agitated ?

Some societies invented way of paying service providers decent salaries, Americans instead invented band-aid  called tipping which allows employers to pay pittance  on understanding that kindness of strangers will supplement  that meager income.

My blood pressure is fine, thank you for caring and I'm not agitated.

However, your mistaken idea that Americans invented tipping is absurd, ill-informed and, well, just wrong. If you would drop unnecessary and ill-willed mention of my country and discuss only the notion of tipping by local standards in Thailand all would be well..

Vinapu, you are a generous individual and like me believe in paying a premium to secure the boys we want. But I think even you would have been shocked at what I tipped a mamasan in a moment of goodwill and, I admit it, alcoholic haze. 

to avoid such situation and keep one disciplined, even when drunk it helps to have kind of internal rules. I'd not tip anybody in bar more than 300 doesn't matter how fun he'd be , unless I had a chance inspect his good  closely so no chance of being too generous to mamasan.

On another hand in the room or at massage if guy gets naked and allows me to touch him it's at least 1000 even if service is of sandbagy kind.

Another way of avoiding going overboard is to deal with cash and limited amount of it. If you bring 1000 baht to the bar you will not spend more.

Only reason I may be reserved about overtipping mamasans or waiters that it may not be fair to other guys in bar-those standing on the scene in just underwear

You don’t need to buy separate drinks for boys if you have a bottle opened.

But they wouldn’t receive usual kick back 150B from boy drink if they drink from your bottle so need to be compensated in form of tip, I guess.

Some bars do ask that you  buy one drink for the boys even if you have a bottle opened.

I'm in agreement with Vinapu in most instances. It baffles me when someone has to have the last word.

Surely the Thai go-go bars are set up not for the sole patronage of American big tippers.

Exactly the sort of remark that makes me come back. Say big tippers and I'm fine. Your constant anti-American remarks need, however, to be challenged by the sane among us. I never said anything of the sort. I have consistently advocated for tipping in accordance with Thai practices. Thailand is a low tipping environment and I have never held otherwise. Whether I or others tip more generously should not concern you but the fact that many of you are too tight-fisted to tip a kid, at least a bare minimum, is a disgrace. Unlike the discussion of finding a market acceptable tip for off services, this thread is just about how to get away with stiffing young guys working in bars and bringing you drinks - shame on you.

Trying to hid behind a dislike of my country is cowardice. 

Scooby, how about shutting this thread down before it gets worse?

Good to know. I have always wondered about this. I will remember to tip more next time. Boys always tend to flock over when they see a bottle being opened, so I was unsure if they received a cut of bottle price for sitting down and having a drink. Or if they just like a free drink even if they receive nothing for it?

As far as I know, Jupiter and Tawan boys don’t receive a cut from bottle opened.

They just like free drink.

When the show ends at Jupiter on quiet day, boys would gather around the table of the customer with a bottle.

You will find the boys suddenly very friendly just because they want a drink or two, need to kill time until 1am clock off time.

One quiet night last month I found myself surrounded by 5-6 boys including star boy Mr Arm, I just looked around and realised I was the only customer with a bottle opened. LOL.

Ask the boy if he'd prefer a drink or a tip.

It is the bar who demands that the customer buy a drink for the boy. The  boy, of course, would prefer a tip but that is not his choice.

we can be 125% sure that boy prefers baht to a drink but they may have  a weekly / monthly quota of drinks and / or offs to fill. 

Bright side is when boy sits in close proximity to customer chances are that heat generated will result in generous tip and even off. As they say putting one's hand on boy's thigh is responsible for more offs than all mamasan's efforts.

In such  a case drink becomes more part of liturgy than expense.

But I rarely tip performers unless I call them down for a drink or have an intention to off. Nice to have a smile or a wai from a cute lad but I will be forgotten in ten minutes when the China high roller shows up with his wad of 1000 baht bills.

I frequently tip performers to appreciate the good show or tip cute boys on stage.

I like seeing customers tipping in gogo bars as I think it’s good for boys morale and bar ambience.

And I believe boys do remember you when tipped.

Once I tipped a tall handsome guy at Dreamboy and 6 months later when I was walking soi Twilight the same guy walked past smiling at me clearly recognised me from the tipping.