paborn

Airfare Strategies

My strategy is to buy my businees or first class ticket in Bangkok from an experienced travel agent there.  This required me to initially buy a one-way ticket from USA to BKK, then each time I buy a round trip ticket starting with departure from BKK and have my return ticket for my next trip.

oh that's interesting, I found that business fares between BKK and Germany were MUCH more expensive when originating from BKK than the other way around (this is for direct, non-stop flights, as I'm not putting up with layovers). Maybe have to monitor that some more... 

No for me 12 hours in economy is not enjoyable !

then try business class, maybe you find enjoyment there (I think you can), especially since you say you have the money. Frugality shouldn't stand int he way, as you're actually getting value for money as the flight is soooo much more comfortable, with proper sleep lying flat. Once you've tried it, you won't want to go back. at least that has happened for me, I'm not doing economy for long haul flights any more. 

Padborn, sorry I have been away and have not explained fictitious bookings.

It’s simple...put in any date on a website then check their prices. Nothing sinister.

You will see that Google Flights comes out £50 more than Traveltrolley on Eva Air flights from LHR to BKK.

I don't fly Europe to BKK  non stop but just for fun I checked fares  1/23-2/6 non stop flights. Eva was always the least expensive and the fares on Kayak were 10% cheaper then Travelocity in both classes of service Economy and Business.

Of course until you click through to purchase you are never sure of the price but at least on these dates Kayak buries Travelocity .Why years ago I stopped using Travelocity.  I'm not used to Google Flights but would be interested how they compare?

I just checked Google which I have never used and they came up with the same fare in Business as Kayak and $2 cheaper in economy. 

At least in that one instance something stinks at Travelocity. Of course 5 minutes from now they might all come up with differnt fares. Welcome to the wondeful world of technology!

Hope this is not going off track but just some experiences I had in the past.

Back when I lived up in the north of West Australia I used to fly business class all the time to Bangkok, in part because I was in a high paying job and could afford it. Here's how that worked out for me, my flight from Port Hedland to Bali (direct, 2hr flight) cost about the same as the fare down to Perth, 3 to 4 hr "transit" in Bali then Thai Airways business class to Bangkok (about 4 - 4.5hr fight) for roughly the same cost as an economy fare from Perth to Bangkok on Thai. Some things I had to do or be aware of doing it that way, the Thai Air flight was booked direct with Thai Airways in Indonesia (online booking) and just had to produce a credit card when I got to the airline counter in Bali, also any delays from leaving my home town could make it difficult to meet the connecting flight. I used to look up the online booking sites and from my then home town they all wanted me to fly here there and everywhere and usually meant via Perth and the cost at the time was ridiculous with most of them quoting over $2500 with at least 2 stops (this was between 4 and 8 years back now). Even did a trip to the Philippines this way and flying Singapore airlines from Bali.

At the times when I arrived in Bali I had to purchase a visa at the airport, go through immigration and customs, exit the terminal and walk up to the departures and of course pay departure tax, this was all in the old airport terminal and there was no actual transit for me as it was 2 different airlines. The catch doing it this way, once a flight was delayed leaving my home town and when I arrived in Bali the queue at immigration was massive and I knew that if I stayed in line there was no way in hell I was going to get through to my next flight. Luckily for me an airport worker / official was walking past and I showed him my itinerary and asked nicely if there was any way I could get through quicker, he took me straight over to the ASEAN passport holders section at immigration and I was through in about 10 minutes. After that I got a porter to help me (first time I ever used one) and he got me through in time for my ongoing flight, with about 1hr to spare. Then Virgin took over the flights to Bali and started screwing me around by changing flight rimes all the time but that's another story, more like a battle.

At the times when I arrived in Bali I had to purchase a visa at the airport, go through immigration and customs, exit the terminal and walk up to the departures and of course pay departure tax, this was all in the old airport terminal and there was no actual transit for me as it was 2 different airlines. 

Interesting and clever how you did that routing, sometimes one does need to outsmart all the booking engines...

But why couldn't you stay in the international gate area and go to the departure gate right away? I gather because of checked luggage, which you obviously couldn't check through, therefore had to retrieve first and re-check in to the second flight.

That highlights another reason why  these days I ALWAYS travel with hand luggage only. Last time I checked in a suitcase (two large ones in that case) was when I moved to BKK. For any vacation, carry-on only. 

I believe vinapu does the same. Highly recommended. Don't need much on a holiday in a tropical country anyway!

Sorry, bit off topic....

There was very little transit through Denpasar airport at that time, mostly if you flew Garuda airlines (into and out of Bali) you could get met and taken through to transit, unfortunately from the town I was flying from there was only the one airline and it wasn't Garuda. Even now if I were to fly from my old town via Bali and the new terminal I would still need to clear immigration and customs and then make my way to the international departures (my last 2 flights were through the new terminal). Even with just carry on luggage it's the same deal, no escaping it really and it was required to clear customs. I guess they look at it that when people fly to Bali they will be stopping over for at least a few days rather than just going transit. The other thing for me was I needed to get to the airline check in counter to confirm the credit card and to check in the luggage. Bit hard for some to understand really but it's a weird set up that kind of works.

I see, that's very, uhm, suboptimal I'd say, an airport that is unable to handle international transit passengers at all (with the Garuda exception you mentioned). Pretty stupid set up. But it is what is is.... Good to know though, just in case

I like Google flights. I fly from Vancouver and we have used Korean Air for several years now. They usually have the best price, service is very good, and if you have a long layover at Incheon, they often offer you the lounge or even a hotel. Incheon is a beautiful airport, especially the wing they built for the Olympics. The past two years we have booked in advance for our three month winter stay, booking in spring for a late November departure. Price: $850 and $950 in Canadian dollars! On December 1st the prices jump up to about $1400, so keep that in mind if your dates are around that time.

That highlights another reason why  these days I ALWAYS travel with hand luggage only. Last time I checked in a suitcase (two large ones in that case) was when I moved to BKK. For any vacation, carry-on only. 

I believe vinapu does the same. Highly recommended. Don't need much on a holiday in a tropical country anyway!

Sorry, bit off topic....

When I come to Thailand from Germany, I use all the hold I'm allowed to bring (in case of Egypt air that was 40 kg in two suitcases) to bring as much German cheese and chocolate to last me for months.

On visa runs around Thailand, I usually fly with hand luggage only as that is cheaper and I can just manage to get all I need into hand luggage.

By the way, as I search Turkish Airlines keeps coming up with the lowest fares. Does anyone have any idea what they're like?

I flew at least twice, maybe four times, with Turkish Airlines Berlin-Istanbul-Bangkok and they are fine by my standards (which is, I and my luggage get to the destination airport on time and in one piece).

I have no strategy. I have flown Berlin to Bangkok at least ten times, with at least 8 different airlines. I want a departure time after midday (so I can get to the airport without having to get up early); arrival time in Bangkok is irrelevant. As there are no direct flights from Berlin to Bangkok, stopover should be between 2 and 4 hours. Every time I fly, another airline comes up with optimum between (price)(stopover time)(departure time).

I like Google flights. I fly from Vancouver and we have used Korean Air for several years now. They usually have the best price, service is very good, and if you have a long layover at Incheon, they often offer you the lounge or even a hotel. Incheon is a beautiful airport, especially the wing they built for the Olympics. The past two years we have booked in advance for our three month winter stay, booking in spring for a late November departure. Price: $850 and $950 in Canadian dollars! On December 1st the prices jump up to about $1400, so keep that in mind if your dates are around that time.

And Korean also offers free stopovers so if you want to spend a few days in Seoul (or elsewhere in SK) you can do it for no added airfare. I've done it on award flights and it's worked out well. I like Seoul a lot...fantastic public transport, some really cool architecture, some interesting historic sites, etc. 

I am testing last minute prices. Looking in the travel apps what it would cost me now if I wanted a ticket for tomorrow.

You would expect airlines would do everything to sell their last seats for flights departing on such short notice.

But I don't notice any difference with the prices compared to when I book months before.