InfoSeeker

Middle-aged Asian-American Seeks Platonic Friends

Hi, everyone, 

I am an Asian-American guy in my 50's.  I am interested to know more about all aspects of life as a gay mature expat in Thailand as information that could help me with my plans to retire in Thailand, most likely in Bangkok. All information is needed and so appreciated.  Eg, what is a good area so live at (Silom, Sukhumvit, Sathorn, Chidlom?), how do I meet like-minded people as platonic buddies that I can chitchat, hangout, hunk hunting together with (Tawan being my favorite place)? How-to and  pros and cons of finding a hunk guy for a boy-friend? Things to watch out for, etc.

I am well educated, friendly, sensible, sincere, down-to-earth, financially independent, "presentable", and would like to know people of similar qualities for non-sexual, sincere friendship, and nothing more (including no physical, legal or financial relationship/involvement).  

I will be in Thailand in February and would like to know if there is any gatherings for people like myself?

Thanks a lot!

G

Hi, everyone,

I am an Asian-American guy in my 50's. I am interested to know more about all aspects of life as a gay mature expat in Thailand as information that could help me with my plans to retire in Thailand, most likely in Bangkok. All information is needed and so appreciated. Eg, what is a good area so live at (Silom, Sukhumvit, Sathorn, Chidlom?), how do I meet like-minded people as platonic buddies that I can chitchat, hangout, hunk hunting together with (Tawan being my favorite place)? How-to and pros and cons of finding a hunk guy for a boy-friend? Things to watch out for, etc.

I am well educated, friendly, sensible, sincere, down-to-earth, financially independent, "presentable", and would like to know people of similar qualities for non-sexual, sincere friendship, and nothing more (including no physical, legal or financial relationship/involvement).

I will be in Thailand in February and would like to know if there is any gatherings for people like myself?

Thanks a lot!

G

My favorite neighborhood is Suan Phlu. Close enough to get to Silom or other attractions, far enough away to be cheaper.

Making friends, stablishing community is way harder than picking up boys for sex. I'm workng on this myself. A couple things I'm trying:

1. My hobby, which happns to be bridge, but any hobby that brings you in contact with others should help.

2. I just started Thai languag classes, thanks to anddy here in this blog. It's only my first week, but it seems theree are loads of (mostly straight) people to start up acquaintance with.

2. I just started Thai languag classes, thanks to anddy here in this blog. It's only my first week, but it seems theree are loads of (mostly straight) people to start up acquaintance with.

glad to hear that.... mostly straight yes, like in the general population. But I've seen enough gay guys there, one really hot Burmese guy (unfortunately with bf already), an Indonesian guy I had sex with already a couple of times, another one whose nationality I forgot whose nationality I forgot has hit me up for sex (through Line, not in class lol), and several others... So don't give up haha

I think that is the early Wednesday evening drinks for guys only at the W Hotel on Sathorn. Frankly unless you already have friends it may be a waste of time. The drink prices are reasonable - 400 baht for free flow prosecco for 3 hours for example. But the Thais tend to come in groups and do not mix. The farang also come with at least one other, look around but likewise rarely mix. If you are a gregarious type of guy you could always introduce yourself as a way to starting a chat.

The advice always given here is never buy a condo unit until you know the city well and are certain you plan to stay for a longish time. This is especially true since your retirement seems some years away, Rentals are not expensive. Same with areas. Suanphlu recommended by Faranglaw is a great area but it is not ideal for public transport. And being just off Sathorn the traffic can be terrible at rush hour. On the other hand if you are prepared to take motorcycle taxis, then you can live almost anywhere and get quickly to the subway or Skytrain.

My last piece of advice would be to remember that your nocturnal wanderings will only take up about a quarter of your day, probably only a few days a week or less. So you might find living in or close to an entertainment district could be pretty limiting.

Eg, what is a good area so live at (Silom, Sukhumvit, Sathorn, Chidlom?),

That depends on many things. When I first came to Bangkok, I stayed in Ibis Sathorn by recommendation of a friend, and found Farang friends in that area, and have been living here ever since. But if you want to go local, you can live in the suburbs of Bangkok and save a lot on rent, or even in the villages.

If you travel a lot, like I do, you need proximity to public transport. Whereas a friend of mine stays home most of the time, and tends to his garden and animals, and lives in a location that would be awful for me.