Uranus

Wireless Internet

does your mobile phone have a hotspot option?

is your 4G reception in the apartment better than your wi-fi reception?

does your mobile phone plan include lots of cheap data and allow use of your phone as a hotspot?

if you answer yes to all questions your problem is solved at no extra cost and no need to get to a shopping center

if your phone and/or data plan does not support hotspot but your 4G reception is OK you could always buy a cheap "pocket wi-fi" device (to provide wi-fi to both your MacBook and phone) or just a 4G dongle for the MacBook, and you will need to get a separate SIM and data allowance for the new hardware - most of the local telcos and phone stores should have these available

bkkguy

Assuming the flat was advertised with WiFi, I trust you have asked the landlord to fix it?

And tried rebooting the router.

I know that's optimistic, so you could check what other WiFi is within range. Maybe True or AIS have a hotspot. Then go for a 4G package with WiFi access as well from one of those providers.

I cannot connect using Hotspot, that's the problem. Maybe a 4G dongle is the answer. The dtac shop at Terminal 21 did not have them, so they said. Maybe I should try AIS?

in your original post the "hotspot" was the wi-fi provided by the apartment? still? the "hotspot" I am suggesting you try is your mobile phone or a "pocket wi-fi" device or is this a problem as well?

any iSomething store around town or the new Apple store at ICON Siam should have a "suitably priced" (suitably being a relative (higher) term) dongle, or AIS or true - or I would have assumed dtac - should have a "suitably priced" (suitably being a relative (lower) term) pocket wi-fi device, or maybe the telcos now assume everyone now does everything on their phone and your MacBook should be confined to an office or a museum?

admittedly it is 15 years or more since I last had a use a pocket wi-fi device in Thailand (but AIS still has then advertised for about 1,200 BHT + SIM), but less than a year since I added an additional one month only data package to my AIS package to use my phone as a hotspot for my notebook when I was in Pattaya for the weekend and the apartment wi-fi was down - most modern phones (even iPhones) and most data packages support the phone as a hotspot

bkkguy

A Thailand flat advertised with WiFi and it either doesn't work well or doesn't work at all? Why, what a shocking surprise!

No surprise for me either.

However in the age of trip advisor & other review sites, you would think they would make an effort.

Reminds me of one particular hotel. My room had slow internet, but a good wifi signal. Mainly because I drew a floor plan in my notebook the previous year & asked for the room opposite the router. My friend down the other end of the corridor had no signal. I even showed this with a Wi-Fi signal app on the phone.

Had this been my hotel with in room Wi-Fi advertised, I would have put another router in within 24 hours. They did not & list our business the next year.

Mind you, it's not just Thailand. I stayed in an Accor group Aparthotel in Nines & they had no in room Wi-Fi for 3 days. That's the same group which runs Ibis etc.

My MacBook is one year old and so is my iPhone 8. My Sony Xperia is brand new. 9 out of 10 times they're not able to connect, and when I do connect it falls out after one or two minutes.

I'm in an AirBnb condo, advertised with WiFi. There is WiFi, but it's useless. So a complaint will be filed.

The public WiFi at Terminal 21 works wonders, so that's where I spend a couple of hours every day doing my work. Not exactly what I had in mind.

Thanks for all your suggestions.