paborn

Phones in Thailand

I rush to say that while I can use a computer, tablet, different Google products I'm hopelessly lost with phones.

I live in the US and have a Verizon phone plan. For trips abroad, they have a program that charges $10 a day for each day you use the phone when in covered countries. For short trips to the Caribbean, this is fine. But, for three weeks in Thailand, it will be several hundred dollars.

I've read things about buying a cheap Thai Phone and using phone cards or getting a sim card. Can someone explain this in the simplest terms?

My carrier here in Australia has much the same plan at $10 a day whilst overseas. My usual way of doing things is thus, when I take my regular phone I only power it up once a week to check messages but that will change as of next trip. I take my old phone with me and on arrival buy a sim card at the airport and use the old phone for Thailand and will sms my Thai number to my family in case they need to get in touch. Future trips I will leave my main phone home and have my brother look after it for me.

If you don't have an old phone laying around you could maybe look for a cheap used one in Thailand (or at home) and just use that with a Thai sim card whenever you're over there.

$10 per day is a TERRIBLE deal.

I always buy a Thai SIM card on the day I arrive. Usually in the True store in Silom Complex. About 50 baht for the SIM and about 400 for a months data.

The SIM goes in my main smart phone. I have a very small Nokia phone which the UK SIM can go in for incoming texts. I am very bad at switching the latter on.

If I move to Cambodia, in goes a Cambodia SIM.

The data package is a great back up in case hotel Wi-Fi is slow. Also allows use of Google maps anywhere. Great for navigating.

Also I can use the dating apps anywhere. Only need to save one off fee to pay for the SIM.

I've read things about buying a cheap Thai Phone and using phone cards or getting a sim card. Can someone explain this in the simplest terms?

Paborn, for starters, your Verizon phone does not use a SIM card so that is out. Or, as suggested, go with T-Mobile in the USA and just buy a SIM card when in Thailand.

Better ust buy an inexpensive phone in Tukcom or wherever for your use in Thailand.  People at the sales booth will help you set it up..

You can prepay and recharge as necessary.  Can use AIS, True, etc as the providers. AIS is a good choice. EZ-PZ

Only problem is, if you want to maintain the same telephone number for the next visit, you must be sure to top up the expiration date . This is easy enough to do. If not then you would have to buy a new SIM card for the next visit.

I buy a 28 day tourist SIM card for my UK phone in the arrivals hall at Suvarnbhumi. Give them your phone, 2 minutes later they will give it you back with the tourist SIM in and your own SIM card separately. If your own phone doesn’t have a SIM, buy a cheap phone and keep it for visits. If you’ve got an expensive phone you are better off buying a cheaper phone for Thailand anyhow as phones are targets for thieves/pickpockets as I know to my cost.

Paborn, for starters, your Verizon phone does not use a SIM card so that is out. Or, as suggested, go with T-Mobile in the USA and just buy a SIM card when in Thailand.

Better ust buy an inexpensive phone in Tukcom or wherever for your use in Thailand.  People at the sales booth will help you set it up..

You can prepay and recharge as necessary.  Can use AIS, True, etc as the providers. AIS is a good choice. EZ-PZ

Only problem is, if you want to maintain the same telephone number for the next visit, you must be sure to top up the expiration date . This is easy enough to do. If not then you would have to buy a new SIM card for the next visit.

Thanks, I changed to T-mobile. My phone was a 6s and the battery was becoming an issue. So, new phone, new plan problem solved.