hank75

Suggestions for Michael

Firstly I want to say a big thank you to Michael for his care and dedication in maintaining this site! 

I think the new interface looks great. Clean and easy to navigate. Love the updated reputation system. Have a few suggested tweaks to improve the overall format. I wanted to start a new thread, which can be purged at a later stage, instead of cluttering up the pinned post.

- Photos: I think photo attachments should be made visible only to registered members, same as before. I noticed they are currently visible to anyone who browses the site.

- show the full name of most recent poster, not just the photo icon

- I agree with spoon’s comment in other threads that it is not always easy to search for information. Most of us are particularly interested in venues: bars, restaurants, hotels, etc. Is there a way to create a special tagging system just for venues, which can then become a searchable value? 

Eg, a travel report could have several tag filters showing what was covered.

City:  “Bangkok” “Pattaya” 

Bars: “Tawan” “Jupiter” “Cupidol”

Hotels: “Raya” “Zing”

Restaurants: “Maxis”

This makes for easy viewing and archiving, and useful for newbies trying to search out specific places. 

I think it’s quite nice to have the trip reports in the main forum as more people will see them and respond, but agree that sometimes it’s easy to lose sight of which is an exciting trip report and which a regular post. Or perhaps we can start a protocol that all trip reports have a [Trip Report] comment in the header. 

While the site was off line and being "improved", I wrote an additional update to my current travel report.  When I went to copy it to the forum, it came over al bold face with lots of extra spacing.  I made several tries and reformatting, but had no luck.  I guess I re-enter what I wrote directly.

Another thing i miss from old forum and didnt seems to carry over is when we click on unread topics, which is still bolded, it doesnt goes straight to where we left it. But it stills indicate with a blue line, so i guess thats ok for now. Just like the old forum style that immedeately goes to the last read systen better

3 hours ago, hank75 said:

- Photos: I think photo attachments should be made visible only to registered members, same as before. I noticed they are currently visible to anyone who browses the site.

- show the full name of most recent poster, not just the photo icon

- I agree with spoon’s comment in other threads that it is not always easy to search for information. Most of us are particularly interested in venues: bars, restaurants, hotels, etc. Is there a way to create a special tagging system just for venues, which can then become a searchable value? 

Eg, a travel report could have several tag filters showing what was covered.

City:  “Bangkok” “Pattaya” 

Bars: “Tawan” “Jupiter” “Cupidol”

Hotels: “Raya” “Zing”

Restaurants: “Maxis”

This makes for easy viewing and archiving, and useful for newbies trying to search out specific places. 

I think it’s quite nice to have the trip reports in the main forum as more people will see them and respond, but agree that sometimes it’s easy to lose sight of which is an exciting trip report and which a regular post. Or perhaps we can start a protocol that all trip reports have a [Trip Report] comment in the header. 

The system converted over the best possible. Some things were off as the old forum was multiple updates behind.  We will try to get the photos to logged in members only. 

Can you show me an example of how full name?

I agree that searching is often not easy. Tags are the best way to do this. When people start using tags, it becomes easier.

2 hours ago, ggobkk said:

While the site was off line and being "improved", I wrote an additional update to my current travel report.  When I went to copy it to the forum, it came over al bold face with lots of extra spacing.  I made several tries and reformatting, but had no luck.  I guess I re-enter what I wrote directly.

You can click a button in the editing menu bar that removes all and makes it plain text.  Or, just post it and ask me to fix it and I will.

2 hours ago, vinapu said:

I'd slow down with changes until we get used to the new format. 

I'm not particularly stupid but had some problems today to log in for the first time,

change I like the most so far is option to 'downvote ' posts we don't like 

We are not making major changes anywhere yet. (well, except what has been done). :) But, there are added features, like Clubs, etc. We have not talked about them but people will start to play and find them.

2 hours ago, spoon said:

Another thing i miss from old forum and didnt seems to carry over is when we click on unread topics, which is still bolded, it doesnt goes straight to where we left it. But it stills indicate with a blue line, so i guess thats ok for now. Just like the old forum style that immedeately goes to the last read systen better

Not sure this is an option in the new code but I can check.  I do see the bolded for new but like you can't see the individual posts.

4 hours ago, spoon said:

click on the dot next to the topic title rather than the title itself - if you hover the cursor over the dot it says "Go to first unread post"

18 hours ago, bkkguy said:

click on the dot next to the topic title rather than the title itself - if you hover the cursor over the dot it says "Go to first unread post"

5 minutes ago, z909 said:

Is there an option to "View New Content" ?

That was my way of reading new content in all the sub-forums.

See above comment from bkkguy.

3 hours ago, abidismaili said:

Is there an option to stay logged in? Now each day I have to log in again, with the previous version that wasnt needed.

don't log out? make sure you have cookies (and maybe javascript) enabled for the new site name?

on first visit I went to the site (not forum) home page and logged in then went to the forum page and bookmarked that page and have not needed to login again when returning to the forum page

8 hours ago, Michael said:

That's not quite the same thing, at least if I understand it correctly.

The dots show which sub-forums have new content.  So we can click on them to visit the sub forums. 

The old "view new content" option would present all new threads on one forum page.   Very convenient.   Of course, if the intention is to merge Boytoy content into here, perhaps the old method would not be so good, since it would bring up content of less interest.

8 hours ago, Michael said:

The dots show which sub-forums have new content.  So we can click on them to visit the sub forums. 

The old "view new content" option would present all new threads on one forum page.   Very convenient.   Of course, if the intention is to merge Boytoy content into here, perhaps the old method would not be so good, since it would bring up a lot of other content.

5 hours ago, abidismaili said:

Is there an option to stay logged in? Now each day I have to log in again, with the previous version that wasnt needed.

I'm having the same problem.  I don't log out, do have Java enabled, and don't do anything with the cookies, but I do have to log in again whenever I come back to this board.  Also, when I log in, instead of bringing me to this forum, it always takes me to the gallery page.

1 hour ago, z909 said:

The old "view new content" option would present all new threads on one forum page.   Very convenient.   Of course, if the intention is to merge Boytoy content into here, perhaps the old method would not be so good, since it would bring up content of less interest.

Go to the top and click the tab called Activity. That should let you see the unread content.

28 minutes ago, Gaybutton said:

I'm having the same problem.  I don't log out, do have Java enabled, and don't do anything with the cookies, but I do have to log in again whenever I come back to this board.  Also, when I log in, instead of bringing me to this forum, it always takes me to the gallery page.

When someone is inactive on the board, they have logged out automatically.  After a certain time period, they are also logged out. When one logs in from the main site, they are only logging into the site. To go to the forums, they need to click the forum page.  (Nice to see you GayButton. Your board is what got me through my first trip to Thailand over 15 years ago. What was the name?) 

49 minutes ago, Michael said:

Nice to see you GayButton. Your board is what got me through my first trip to Thailand over 15 years ago. What was the name?

Thank you for that.

At the time the board was Gaybutton.com.  Now it's Gaybuttonthai.com

I'm curious as to why this board doesn't have some sort of stay logged in feature, to avoid having to log in every time. 

24 minutes ago, Gaybutton said:

Thank you for that.

At the time the board was Gaybutton.com.  Now it's Gaybuttonthai.com

I'm curious as to why this board doesn't have some sort of stay logged in feature, to avoid having to log in every time. 

It is 100% due to security.  The hosting company requires a max log in time and it is set for that reason. Part of the reason many sites have issues is due to their unlimited login time. 

2 hours ago, Michael said:

It is 100% due to security.  The hosting company requires a max log in time and it is set for that reason. Part of the reason many sites have issues is due to their unlimited login time. 

Ok, if that is set by the hosting company, then it's beyond your control unless you go to a different hosting company. 

Can you be a little more specific?  What sites have had issues, and what kinds of issues did they have, due to unlimited log in time?   I've never had any problems and I don't know of any sites that have had any problems due to unlimited log in time. 

It's not a major inconvenience, but it definitely is annoying, especially when logging in takes you to the profiles page rather than the forum.  Lots of profiles, but none even say where the person is located and for most, the last time they logged in was months or even years ago.  I don't see the point

4 hours ago, Gaybutton said:

1 hour ago, Gaybutton said:

It's not a major inconvenience, but it definitely is annoying, especially when logging in takes you to the profiles page rather than the forum.  Lots of profiles, but none even say where the person is located and for most, the last time they logged in was months or even years ago.  I don't see the point

+1

10 hours ago, Gaybutton said:

Ok, if that is set by the hosting company, then it's beyond your control unless you go to a different hosting company. 

Can you be a little more specific?  What sites have had issues, and what kinds of issues did they have, due to unlimited log in time?   I've never had any problems and I don't know of any sites that have had any problems due to unlimited log in time. 

From my limited understanding, the average log in time standard is 15-30 minutes.  Each time this is increased, it opens the site up to issues. Many hosting companies will hold liable any issues that happen if you are not following industry guidelines.  For example, the GayThailand site code (not just the forum) had not been updated in years. In September, a hacker exploited a vulnerability in the software that allowed for him to create emails from gaythailand.com  This sounds OK right?  Well, no, it is not. Each of those emails cost money and the first of October, the bill was increased by 26,000  USD for the added emails alone. That was for the creation of multiple emails (thousands of them via a script).  Code is often updated because people become aware of vulnerabilities and take advantage of them. This happened.  It was a long multi-month battle.  In the end, the switch over a few weeks back was an attempt to fix this code. However, it was not a minor fix and it was a major deal. Thus, you will always find that I update site code and forum code when they become available. This keeps the site safe and secure.

As you said, your site never had a major problem. That is great.  GT did not either until it did.  And, trust me, a big bill and demands of payment caused months of stress.  Not worth it IMHO. Thus, when I took over this week, everything was updated. Everything will continue to be updated and industry standards will always be implemented. It is just my belief that it is best practices to protect the site and the members and the owners. I hope this explanation helps a bit. And, unlike other parts of the site which I am always open to change and add and modify, I'm never willing to modify keep the site as safe and secure as possible even if that means a bit of unease to members.  Sorry. 

1  Very good explanation.   And I learnt something too.   

2  As for the login, well I visit many professional sites where one click fixes the login.  

3  Have now edited my bookmark to direct me directly to the "Activity" page.    Other members might want to try that.

2 hours ago, Michael said:

From my limited understanding, the average log in time standard is 15-30 minutes.  Each time this is increased, it opens the site up to issues.

Here's something strange.  I was on your board very early this morning.  I checked in again just now - 12:00pm.   And I was still logged in.

As for big bills for Emails, that has never happened to me.  If it ever did and it was because of something that was no fault of mine, I would tell them what they can do with their big bill and move on to another hosting company - one that doesn't try to charge for Emails or anything else beyond the standard hosting fee. 

My board has a setting so that Emails can be sent only by board members.  Doesn't this one have such a setting?  And if even that becomes a problem, with one click of a button I can set my board so that no Emails can be sent from it at all.

6 hours ago, Gaybutton said:

Here's something strange.  I was on your board very early this morning.  I checked in again just now - 12:00pm.   And I was still logged in.

As for big bills for Emails, that has never happened to me.  If it ever did and it was because of something that was no fault of mine, I would tell them what they can do with their big bill and move on to another hosting company - one that doesn't try to charge for Emails or anything else beyond the standard hosting fee. 

My board has a setting so that Emails can be sent only by board members.  Doesn't this one have such a setting?  And if even that becomes a problem, with one click of a button I can set my board so that no Emails can be sent from it at all.

It was not an issue with the forum code as that does not allow for those scripts. It was the main site code. Same solution. Update.

Moving to a new hosting company is very easy for you as you have one site with a very small database and you do not care about a relationship with a hosting provider.  Most people do care and they do not wish to be sued over back bills. Perhaps not an issue for anyone living full-time in Thailand but it is an issue for anyone who wishes to retain credibility in the USA or standing with a company they have worked with for many years.  Plus, we are with the best hosting company around and it is not cheap.  I have worked with others over the years and NONE of them have the tech support this one does. Again, not a big deal for a forum only site. But, it is a big deal for a database driven site. 

Yes, emails are also not sent from this board often. However, as I have said, this board is a small fraction of the site. I could explain a full database driven website and the complications to everyone but I have no desire to do this and it would not further the thread. As I have said, my belief is to upgrade. Always has been and always will be. Yours may be if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I hope that works long term for you. Truly I do. Not a risk I am willing to take.

I think the forum is set to stay logged in for 6 or 8 hours per the server.  I don't know for sure. But, I think that is what I was told.