hank75

Suggestions for Michael

1 hour ago, Michael said:

I think the forum is set to stay logged in for 6 or 8 hours per the server.  I don't know for sure. But, I think that is what I was told.

I guess we'll all get used to logging in all the time.  Is there a way, after logging in, to be sent directly to the forum rather than the profiles page? 

5 hours ago, Scooby said:

Really???   www.gayguides.com/forums

Yes, really.  That is the URL I use and when I am still logged in I get directly to the forums page.   But if I have to log in first, that's when I'm sent to the profiles page first after logging in.

Obviously that's not a major catastrophe, but it is annoying.

2 hours ago, Gaybutton said:

Yes, really.  That is the URL I use and when I am still logged in I get directly to the forums page.   But if I have to log in first, that's when I'm sent to the profiles page first after logging in.

Obviously that's not a major catastrophe, but it is annoying.

Sorry it is annoying.  I suggest just bookmarking the homepage: gayguides.com and logging into the site and then click the forum button. Will it help to make the forum button more prevalent on the homepage?

2 hours ago, Michael said:

Sorry it is annoying.  I suggest just bookmarking the homepage: gayguides.com and logging into the site and then click the forum button. Will it help to make the forum button more prevalent on the homepage?

It's really not a problem at all.  I'm much more interested in the content of the posts rather than the software used to contain them.  Since the software responds the way it does, it takes a couple more clicks to get to the forum.  Not a crisis.  I'm already used to it.

I'm sure my own board has its share of things that annoy the users - especially the board's owner . . .

20 hours ago, Michael said:

I could explain a full database driven website and the complications to everyone but I have no desire to do this and it would not further the thread.

and I am sure if Gaybutton wanted such an explanation he could just ask the phpboard programmers who developed the software that runs his database driven website

1 hour ago, bkkguy said:

and I am sure if Gaybutton wanted such an explanation he could just ask the phpboard programmers who developed the software that runs his database driven website

Right you are! But, considering phpbb is a free open source code, I am not sure how much help they would be, but good luck with that. However, there is a difference between a forum software (pre-packaged) and a website build with an original code and blended with a prepackaged forum (Invision in this board). The symbiosis between the two often causes hiccups especially when one is updated.  Again, no desire to further this thread on that, but, feel free to google that as well.

I have also read my post again and I do not want anyone to think I was responding to gaybutton's post - I'm not computer savy to make such an inference. No, there are one or two other posters here who bring up controvrsy for it's own sake.

I almost started a new thread titled "How do I use the forum?", as it's a bit presumptuous to suggest a feature is added when it may be there already (and it's a user error).   Presumably it's a lot of work to set up a new board and copy posts across, particularly over the holiday season.  So thank you for arranging that Michael.

Questions

1  Question Deleted, as answer is found.

Have changed my bookmark to the following, which brings up all threads updated since the last visit.

https://www.gayguides.com/forums/discover/unread/

Now all I need to do is find a way of logging in automatically so the Ignore feature works.

2  When I hit the reply button at the end of a thread, it automatically quotes the previous entry.   I guess the probability of wanting to quote the previous entry is <<50%.  Arguably it's only necessary to quote an entry if it's NOT the immediately previous entry or if some specific point needs to be highlighted.  Unnecessarily quoting previous posts should be discouraged (In my opinion), as the reader has a lot of duplication to deal with.

Is there a 1 click option to get an empty reply box ?

2 hours ago, z909 said:

I almost started a new thread titled "How do I use the forum?", as it's a bit presumptuous to suggest a feature is added when it may be there already (and it's a user error).   Presumably it's a lot of work to set up a new board and copy posts across, particularly over the holiday season.  So thank you for arranging that Michael.

Questions

1  Question Deleted, as answer is found.

Have changed my bookmark to the following, which brings up all threads updated since the last visit.

https://www.gayguides.com/forums/discover/unread/

Now all I need to do is find a way of logging in automatically so the Ignore feature works.

2  When I hit the reply button at the end of a thread, it automatically quotes the previous entry.   I guess the probability of wanting to quote the previous entry is <<50%.  Arguably it's only necessary to quote an entry if it's NOT the immediately previous entry or if some specific point needs to be highlighted.  Unnecessarily quoting previous posts should be discouraged (In my opinion), as the reader has a lot of duplication to deal with.

Is there a 1 click option to get an empty reply box ?

1. Bookmark http://www.gayguides.com and you will always be set. 

2. You just put your cursor in the bottom text box and it quotes nothing,

On 1/2/2019 at 12:14 PM, Michael said:

1. Bookmark http://www.gayguides.com and you will always be set. 

2. You just put your cursor in the bottom text box and it quotes nothing,

1  The gayguides.com home page brings up loads of profiles mostly of people who have not been on line for a year or more.  A certain critical mass of activity is required to make that kind of hook up function work.  I'm not happy that Grindr has dominance in many regions, but I recognise that is how it is.

You will need one hell of a strategy to make that work.  Alternatives my analysis is missing something and I  am open to learning about that.   

Meanwhile, my bookmark can take me direct to new content in the forums.

2  Yes.  I don't know why this wasn't happening the other day.

I look forward to further enlightenment.  That's genuine, not sarcasm.  The security explanation was quite an eye opener & it doesn't take much to figure out how that could have been a catalyst.

Anyhow, another one of those technical questions.

I click on forums and the sub forum tree that I expect pops up for a fraction of a second and then I get the screen below.   Making it kind of tricky to navigate to a specific sub forum.  What is going wrong ?   (Adding a photo is easy, so some good news)

Screenshot_20190103-220927.png

1 hour ago, z909 said:

I look forward to further enlightenment.  That's genuine, not sarcasm.  The security explanation was quite an eye opener & it doesn't take much to figure out how that could have been a catalyst.

Anyhow, another one of those technical questions.

I click on forums and the sub forum tree that I expect pops up for a fraction of a second and then I get the screen below.   Making it kind of tricky to navigate to a specific sub forum.  What is going wrong ?   (Adding a photo is easy, so some good news)

Screenshot_20190103-220927.png

That is in your individual settings. You should be able to click to see all the forum and then they should show for you each time. 

On 12/30/2018 at 1:18 PM, abidismaili said:

Is there an option to stay logged in? Now each day I have to log in again, with the previous version that wasnt needed.

On 12/30/2018 at 6:35 PM, Gaybutton said:

I'm having the same problem.  I don't log out, do have Java enabled, and don't do anything with the cookies, but I do have to log in again whenever I come back to this board.  Also, when I log in, instead of bringing me to this forum, it always takes me to the gallery page.

On 12/30/2018 at 7:06 PM, Michael said:

When someone is inactive on the board, they have logged out automatically.  After a certain time period, they are also logged out. 

On 12/30/2018 at 8:13 PM, Michael said:

It is 100% due to security.  The hosting company requires a max log in time and it is set for that reason. Part of the reason many sites have issues is due to their unlimited login time. 

I find the requirement to newly login every time when accessing the site/forum quite cumbersome, too. And I don't understand the security argument at all. Gazillions of sites, including Facebook and email services such as Gmail and others allow for a "perma-login", usually my checking a little tick box "keep me logged in" when logging in. This sets a cookie containing the login credentials and removes the need to re-login. I don't see why this couldn't be done here. The only sites that in no way shape or form allow that are online banking sites, which are obviously not comparable to a humble board like this. 

just made in interesting observation regarding my own post above, which presumably and hopefully solves the login issue for all:

When you are still logged OUT and go to the end of any thread you will find a "Please sign in to comment" notice instead of the familiar reply box. If you click "Sign in Now" from there, an in-screen sign-in window pops up which DOES have the "Remember me" tick box that I mentioned in my post above. So will see how that works....

scr1.jpg

scr2.jpg

I am perpelexed that i dont have the issues to log in each time i checked the forum. I do have a different problem that might be code or phone issues. Sometimes, when i get notification, when i click the bell, it registered as if i click sign out tab below it. However it is not always the case. When logging in, i always clicked the remember me check box.

On 1/1/2019 at 5:18 PM, Michael said:

However, there is a difference between a forum software (pre-packaged) and a website build with an original code and blended with a prepackaged forum (Invision in this board). The symbiosis between the two often causes hiccups especially when one is updated. 

and if your programmers are not competent enough to do the integration properly then blaming it on the complexity of database driven sites is a just cop-out as are some of the other comments on login session timeouts etc - you perhaps need some more knowledgeable between you and your programmers and host