paborn

Pattaya Tailor

I've misplaced the name, but  walking out of The Poseidon, turn left to the main road, then turn right and next to the open air restaurant and the massage parlor, there is a tailor shop.  Usually there are some interesting shirts on a display rack outside.  Over the years, I've had shirts made, bought some of the display shirts, and had a very nice sport jacket made up.  I'm very happy with my purchases and have had a compliment or two.  Know what you want, bargain, the owner will plead poverty, once a price is agreed, all that goes away.  Be VERY specific about when you want the clothes to be ready.  Sorry, I can't recall the name but I can recommend the shop.

Numazu has a tailor near TukCom, he may have referenced the name in one of his reports.  He was always happy with the results.  I mention this as he and I both use Excelsior in Bangkok.

58 minutes ago, paborn said:

I've heard that Numazu has a great tailor in Pattaya - I'm waiting for him to post - byt, from his recent posts he's in Rio for New Year's - enough said!  I will check this one out as well, I'm staying at the poseidon

After I posted, I went and checked my shirts and the linen jacket I had made last trip - no label that would allow me to give you a shop name, but I can definitely recommend the workmanship.

Have the salesperson give you a price.  He/they will want you to tell them what you will pay...don't give in...tell them you don't know, tailoring is their job.  Then when you do get a price go 40% less as a counter.  That won't be accepted...you now have options, go up a little, or start to leave.  Usually, starting to leave will get things real fairly quickly.  

I'd settle somewhere between 40 and 30% off the original price.  Recommendation - check local stores near where you live for prices on shirts, jackets...you can also check on Amazon.  In Jomtien you want at least 50% less than at home.  This can change (but only a little) if you want lots of extras (i.e. linen jacket with a silk lining you choose, functional button holes, secure hidden pockets, etc).  

The shop has several kinds of linen, the owner loves to talk about how each is different.  The jacket I bought is made of linen from Poland.  

I think somewhere you've mentioned your home is in a relatively warm climate - if that's true, check out the seersucker shirts they make.  I have 3 and they are a gift as they don't need a lot of ironing, are comfortable, and look good.

Caution - if there are lots of other customers present - wait until its more private to bargain.  Sometimes, there are couples (usually Russian) shopping with the wife urging the husband/partner to get a suit.  The owner is reluctant to bargain if he believes he will have to give the same discount to everyone in the shop.

8 minutes ago, ggobkk said:

Caution - if there are lots of other customers present - wait until its more private to bargain....  

The owner is reluctant to bargain if he believes he will have to give the same discount to everyone in the shop.

great piece of advice

Thanks ggoBKK - excellent advice. Before retirement I bought all my suits in Bangkok and my Dry Cleaner in the US was amazed by the quality. I always beleived good quality can't be dirt cheap, considereing labor costs, 40% lower than home makes sense. Thanks especially for the seersucker advice, yes I live in South Florida and it's 80F right now in January. I gave everythign for business to a charity when I retired, now I find if I want to go to the symphony or a nice place I have nothiong to wear - again, thanls for the kind advice.

Thanks Hank, I used to do that in my working days. Once, I bought a very expensive Givenchy french cuffed shirt in NYC to be the model - fabulous at a tiny franction of the cost. Alas, I gave all my work clothes ( thank you Kokopelli ) to a charity to get men working again - you know interview clothes. 

On 1/1/2019 at 7:41 PM, ggobkk said:

I've misplaced the name, but  walking out of The Poseidon, turn left to the main road, then turn right and next to the open air restaurant and the massage parlor, there is a tailor shop.  Usually there are some interesting shirts on a display rack outside.  Over the years, I've had shirts made, bought some of the display shirts, and had a very nice sport jacket made up.  I'm very happy with my purchases and have had a compliment or two.  Know what you want, bargain, the owner will plead poverty, once a price is agreed, all that goes away.  Be VERY specific about when you want the clothes to be ready.  Sorry, I can't recall the name but I can recommend the shop.

I'm in the process of having some shirts and a jacket made by this tailor in Jomtien. I had shirts made on a previous visit and I was very happy with the quality and the fit.

I am getting some heavy cotton shirts for 850 bath and some light ones for 750 baht, all long-sleeved. The jacket will cost 2,800 baht. 

He has a reputation for being a bit more expensive than some others in Pattaya, however the price is just a fraction of what it would be at home and he's very conveniently located if you are staying in Jomtien. 

I agree with ggobkk that it is hard to bargain with the owner, Mr Singh?, due to his exceptionally straitened circumstances, the expense of running a business, pressure from suppliers etc. However you should still be able to get at least 10% off.

The shop is called Siam Next Fashion. It is right beside the entrance to the Jomtien Complex at 413/30-31 Tappraya Rd.