hank75

STD Testing Bangkok

This might be a little sensitive. I would like to take my regular boy for STD/HIV tests in Bangkok on my next visit. While we do use protection and he has also assured me he is “clean”, we have reached a level of  familiarity where it is just too easy to slip up. He was pretty upset the first time I felt it was necessary to broach the subject and offered to get tested (said in a fit of pique rather than a real offer). But I think I might offend him greatly and cause him to lose “face” if I insist on having him tested, and also being present for the test and result. 

Has anyone had a similar experience? What is the most tactful way to proceed? I also would like to have him tested regularly if I keep seeing him, which hopefully will keep him vigilant about using condoms with other customers. 

Also, where in Bangkok should I bring him for same day test and results?

Thai Red Cross is great.  Website. Not too far from Rajadamri BTS.

I've gone there with guys I've been hooking up over the years.  I never got any bad feedback from guys when I've discussed it, but no doubt everyone is different.  When I've gone with a guy friend, I get tested at the same time and we've received results together.  It's a good organization doing god's work, same day service, for all walks of life.  You go (ideally in the morning), sign in, wait for a bit for your number to get called, get tested, then they'll tell you to come back in an hour or two to get the results.  Show up, wait for your number to get called and you get the results.  There are also for-profit clinics such as Pulse, but it might not be in your guy's regular budget.  Thai Red Cross is also good at providing overall counseling and advice on PrEP, which he can also get there.  If you (and the counselors at Red Cross) can get him on PrEP then he has to get re-tested every three months as part of that program, so could solve that issue for you as well.  Maybe you want to get on PrEP.  Up to you.

If he's a sex worker, there is an excellent organization called SWING in Pattaya and Bangkok that provides testing and counseling and support, I believe for free.

39 minutes ago, ceejay said:

I would suggest that you go together and get tested together. He gets your results unopened and you get his unopened. That way you are not singling him out - it's same-same for you and him.

This sounds like a good idea, but which clinic provides this service of the test results to each other unopened? 

17 minutes ago, DivineMadman said:

Thai Red Cross is great.  Website. Not too far from Rajadamri BTS.

I've gone there with guys I've been hooking up over the years.  I never got any bad feedback from guys when I've discussed it, but no doubt everyone is different.  When I've gone with a guy friend, I get tested at the same time and we've received results together.  It's a good organization doing god's work, same day service, for all walks of life.  You go (ideally in the morning), sign in, wait for a bit for your number to get called, get tested, then they'll tell you to come back in an hour or two to get the results.  Show up, wait for your number to get called and you get the results.  There are also for-profit clinics such as Pulse, but it might not be in your guy's regular budget.  Thai Red Cross is also good at providing overall counseling and advice on PrEP, which he can also get there.  If you (and the counselors at Red Cross) can get him on PrEP then he has to get re-tested every three months as part of that program, so could solve that issue for you as well.  Maybe you want to get on PrEP.  Up to you.

If he's a sex worker, there is an excellent organization called SWING in Pattaya and Bangkok that provides testing and counseling and support, I believe for free.

Thank you for the recommendations. Good to hear from someone who’s been to the Red Cross facility. Is it generally a good environment with well trained staff? I can imagine my guy will be nervous and wouldn’t want him to get distressed. I think I’d be nervous too! 

I’m willing to pay for Pulse if you think this might be a better option and less stressful? 

Yes he’s a money boy though less active in the past year, as he recently picked up a day job. But I would like to get him started on PrEP too. 

The facilities are sort of what you would expect - a bit shabby run down.  The clients aren't just men, so you see all ages & all types:  men women trans old young.  I don't have any doubts at all about the level of training or standards there (high).  But it is not at all luxe or fancy.  Whether you and or your guy would feel better or worse about that I don't know.  

You do sign up and get a Wellness card or number at the Red Cross center.  I can't remember what if any personal details you give.  Truth is I don't know for 100% sure about the anonymity issues or how they safeguard data.  I would take comfort from the word "Anonymous" being right in the name of the clinic.  I do think they do follow the most up to date enlightened international standards, which I think should include assurances of anonymity, but I don't know for sure.

Not to say anything bad about Pulse at all.  I've never been but the place looks very nice and it's good to support gay-owned businesses.  Pulse did a fantastic commercial not too long ago.  (You might want to turn down the volume before watching the video.). Pulse Commercial

15 hours ago, hank75 said:

This sounds like a good idea, but which clinic provides this service of the test results to each other unopened? 

Eight years ago when my now partner and I were getting serious we went together to the Red Cross in his Isaan city where we were both tested.

There was a draw back in that the written results were only in Thai and the person we saw in the clinic couldn't speak English so my guy had to translate the results - good job I trusted him

Here is the place to go:

https://www.pulse-clinic.com/

In the heart of the gay bkk area.

Discreet, efficient and friendly. HIV test result within 20 minutes ,same for syh. other test take maybe 10 days, they will email your other results to you. For every test they will give written report of result. Also no need give your full or indeed real name or show id. Discretion is assured.

I thought I wrote a review for this clinic on this forum, but maybe not.

U could say u are going to be tested and get him to be tested at same time. 

Thank you to everyone who responded, especially DivineMadman for the clear description of Red Cross. Your posts were extremely helpful and exactly the advice I was hoping to receive. I will chat with him and see which clinic he prefers. 

Yes I will say that I plan to be tested (which is true) and invite him to do the same. 

And that Pulse commercial left me speechless! If I didn’t know that slapstick commercials were the norm in Thailand, I would be terrified of this place! 

Pulse is my place to go, too. I THINK - though I'm not sure, so DivineMadman might correct me if wrong - Pulse is broader in scope than the Red Cross, i.e. you can get tested for a whole host of other STIs besides the all-dominating HIV. AND you can get treatment there right away if needed, which I also THINK (DM?) the Red Cross will not provide but refer you to other hospitals or clinics. So essentially, Pulse is a one-stop shop for ALL gay health needs. And besides that, it is a cheerful and friendly place.

I had a friend from the US who wanted to get a bar boy tested beofre his next visit to Thailand, so I took the boy to Pulse (boy had no issues with the request) and had ALL imaginable STI tests done. Several fairly obscure (yet harmless) STIs tested positive and were immediately treated and cured with antibiotics. When my US friend arrived for his visit happy fucking ensued, needles to say LOL

6 hours ago, anddy said:

Pulse is my place to go, too. I THINK - though I'm not sure, so DivineMadman might correct me if wrong - Pulse is broader in scope than the Red Cross, i.e. you can get tested for a whole host of other STIs besides the all-dominating HIV. AND you can get treatment there right away if needed, which I also THINK (DM?) the Red Cross will not provide but refer you to other hospitals or clinics. So essentially, Pulse is a one-stop shop for ALL gay health needs. And besides that, it is a cheerful and friendly place.

I had a friend from the US who wanted to get a bar boy tested beofre his next visit to Thailand, so I took the boy to Pulse (boy had no issues with the request) and had ALL imaginable STI tests done. Several fairly obscure (yet harmless) STIs tested positive and were immediately treated and cured with antibiotics. When my US friend arrived for his visit happy fucking ensued, needles to say LOL

According to the Thai Red Cross clinic description of services they provide "STI testing and treatment".  So looks like they do provide testing and treatment.  

For HIV they provide testing and counseling and help locals get with the right government hospital.  But -- god forbid -- if that situation arose, how to get proper treatment for OP's friend would be an entirely different set of discussions.  As far as treatment is concerned, Red Cross will refer people to Pulse who have the money because the government only pays for certain drug treatments once T cells hit a very low level (and not based on viral load).  (The downside of being friends with so many (too many?) working guys over the years is that you learn these things.)

As long as the OP is paying, personally I think you can't go wrong with either one so the only real issue is where the guy would actually be comfortable (and more likely to re-visit).  Not my decision but I would just ask the guy.  Give him ownership of the issue.