forky123

Profile picture

I’m being e-mailed often by the gayguides.com system saying I should put on a profile picture. It’s happening often enough to become annoying as I dislike spam. I don’t particularly want to upload a personal photo so have tried to upload something neutral (a rainbow flag) just to stop the system e-mailing me. For some reason it’s been rejected which is really annoying. I don’t really want to have to add gayguides to my junk/spam filter as occasional messages are fine. Anyone got any ideas?

I have had notifications and e-mails turned off since mid-January.   I still have had a birthday greeting and several photo reminders.   Is there any simple way to reliably turn this all OFF, whilst retaining an account ?

Thank you. I see.  The area for notification is from the main site and you had these set to on:

PM notification set to instant
Favorite Notification  => yes
Subscription Email => yes
Chat notification => yes

I have turned all of them off you for and set PM to NEVER.  You can change this anytime on Front End from My Account and Notifications.

6 hours ago, Michael said:

I requested you forward them to me.  WTF can't you do that? :)

For the very reason I posted above. 

"Sorry, but I deleted it immediately as others sometimes use my ipad and I wouldn't like them to see it."

If all notifications are turned off, as can be seen in my screenshot, how is it possible to receive emails? Is there a bug in the system?

5 hours ago, a447a said:

For the very reason I posted above. 

"Sorry, but I deleted it immediately as others sometimes use my ipad and I wouldn't like them to see it."

If all notifications are turned off, as can be seen in my screenshot, how is it possible to receive emails? Is there a bug in the system?

Then, sorry, I can't give you more info on them. However, what you should do is create an email rule where anything that comes to you from @gayguides.com is marked as read and deleted.  This way Gmail handles all emails and removes them and they are not visible to anyone. 

5 hours ago, Michael said:

Then, sorry, I can't give you more info on them. However, what you should do is create an email rule where anything that comes to you from @gayguides.com is marked as read and deleted.  This way Gmail handles all emails and removes them and they are not visible to anyone. 

Some people are very averse to getting junk e-mails & will simply delete the account here.   

That's how I usually operate, however I've invested enough time here to make it a special case.   

26 minutes ago, z909 said:

Some people are very averse to getting junk e-mails & will simply delete the account here.   

That's how I usually operate, however I've invested enough time here to make it a special case.  

Glad you are here.

I also guess we all have different ideas of junk.  Emails from the "system" to remind someone to upload a photo, or to log in every 30 days to stay active are a part of many sites. The way around this is a few simple clicks in Gmail or other providers.  To me, if someone isn't willing to spend 30 seconds doing that, they will be of little benefit here anyway and most likely not active posters.  It is a double edge sword.  Complaints about profiles being outdated but when we try to clean them up, complaints that emails are sent.  Hard to balance everything.  We do try our best. However, easy solutions are found with a few clicks of a button.

I have a photo, see left.    There may be some other opportunity to upload one in some other obscure section of the site, but no way can I find and fix that in 30 seconds.

I see this as a forum and am not particularly interested in having a profile like on Grindr.

2 hours ago, z909 said:

I have a photo, see left.    There may be some other opportunity to upload one in some other obscure section of the site, but no way can I find and fix that in 30 seconds.

I see this as a forum and am not particularly interested in having a profile like on Grindr.

I get it. But, photo on left if not the main site which is what is sending messages.  A solution,  take that photo, upload it to My Account when you log in and you are done.  If that takes longer than 30 seconds, I'll be shocked. 

Well, I have done that, under duress.

Whether it advances civilization or increases the value of Gayguides.com by even a millionth of a baht is doubtful.

Most people here post anonymously.   I can't envisage many forum members uploading a real photo.   In fact, just for research purposes I attempted to search for a couple by name and got nowhere.

Then if I do an open search, there are loads of profiles within 50m.  All very improbable (considering where I am).   With the "online now" filter, they all disappear.   If this is the first thing people see after a Google search, you have to question if this gives a positive first impression.   

1 hour ago, z909 said:

Well, I have done that, under duress.

Whether it advances civilization or increases the value of Gayguides.com by even a millionth of a baht is doubtful.

Most people here post anonymously.   I can't envisage many forum members uploading a real photo.   In fact, just for research purposes I attempted to search for a couple by name and got nowhere.

Then if I do an open search, there are loads of profiles within 50m.  All very improbable (considering where I am).   With the "online now" filter, they all disappear.   If this is the first thing people see after a Google search, you have to question if this gives a positive first impression.   

Thank you so much for your positivity!