DivineMadman

Kika Restaurant on Soi Convent

Kika is a Mediterranean restaurant on Soi Convent.  Map  There was a good amount of buzz in the Bangkok foodie world before they opened, which turned out to be pretty well-deserved.  They open early at 10:00 for breakfast/brunch and go late - 1:00 am (although I wonder if occasionally they close earlier if no one is around?).  

I think the food is quite good.  Not as expensive as some places.  More expensive than the street food joints nearby.  Portions are large.  French fries are excellent.  If you have your heart set on one of the specials, get there earlier rather than later, because I believe they do run out.  Now that Vesper has gone all-cocktails, it's a nice convenient neighborhood spot to grab a bite when one of the Silom Complex spots or Hooters just won't do.  

Best of all it's very gay/gay-friendly.  Last week I took a friend from one of the bars to dinner there for his birthday.  The only looks we got were longing lusftul/jealous looks from some of the other patrons and the usual smiles from the cute male and female staff.  It's not gay all-male as in Balcony or Telephone Bar, but it's very comfortable and fun.  The regular customer crowd is very mixed, and, no surprise, mostly expats..

Special shoutout to "La Vida Kika", the Sunday "Tea Dance" party every Sunday afternoon/evening.  It's a boisterous fun gay/mixed party crowd that spills out onto the sidewalk.  Is High Tea on Fire Island?  No.  But it might be a nice way to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon with friends or to meet people, and kudos to Kika for having it.

Kika Website   La Vida KikaKika Facebook

Pet peeve:  The menu is only in English, so you will have to translate for local companions.