floridarob

Your FAVORITE BKK restaurant?

Somtum Der on Sala Daeng is good for hard-core Isaan food.  Can be very hot/spicy.  Even Isaan people like the food.

Papaya right behind Silom Complex is good (maybe not great) and not expensive.  A lot of locals and expats/tourists.  It's got a very relaxed vibe.  Feels more like it should be by a beach somewhere.

If you're willing to go street food there's a good busy collection of street food joints along Pluk Chit 1 just off Rama IV.  Always busy with a good dinner crowd.  (No shortage of good street food spots all over, just that there's a lot of choices here all right next to each other and the soi itself has traffic and exhaust than Suriwong....). Also convenient after massage at any of the City Court shops. ;)

image.png.0717c709ebdc0e624de99cb295d48761.png

Sala Deang soi 2 alley.

The area Divine Madman mentions above is street food central for workers who spill out of the Silom Comlpex and other businesses at lunch and after work. The food is fresh and prices universally easy on the budget. Some of these mom and pop vendors service just the lunch crowd while others stay open the evening business. Late afternoon sees a rush of students from the nearby Convent school while later there's a good mix of locals , expats and visitors. These vendors know owe their success to the simple formula that has made Bangkok street food legendary: consistently satisfying food at truly affordable prices. My favorite is the vendor closest to the Convent Rd. end of the alley. The seafood, particularly anything with shrimp, draws raves. All of these places I find are more fun when you go with a friend or two.

This street food website appears up to date and you can select areas of the city from a drop-down menu.

https://www.streetsidebangkok.com/

So, this is what we did:

He didn't want Street food, he had already done that. We went to the Shangri la, he wanted the river, it seemed after all. He's a tort lawyer and money doesn't matter. ( I thought it would be more expensive than it was.)

I had lunch at MBK food court earlier and can say , they food was MUCH more flavorful there, lol.

He had a guy with him as did I....the ambiance, presentation and surroundings was worth the price...I guess, the Thai guys felt super important. This was the first time in maybe 2 or 3 years that I wore shoes (sneakers) because sandals were not allowed!

I will try the place at the Rose hotel tomorrow or my next trip.

on a side note, Super A might not be the busiest place in BKK, but certainly has been a reliable place (for me) of getting a reliable guy that is loads of fun for the past few yrs. (google translate , conversation mode is amazing).... the "superstar" go-go's, just make me dislike Thailand.......maybe it's just me??

Thanks for your replies...I feel guilty I didn't go to one, but it was last minute I guess.......

2 hours ago, floridarob said:

I will try the place at the Rose hotel tomorrow or my next trip.

if you got , let us know if it requires reservation , few years ago Christian PFC and me tried to have  a dinner there but it was full and they chased us away without reservation.

I agree about Super A , not  a flashy place but  one may find  a cute, no attitude ,  gem there with a bit of luck.

I've eaten at Ruen Urai a few times over the last year, sometimes it was busy, sometimes not so much. So as so often, it depends on the day, the season and the constellation of the stars. If in doubt AND able to plan in advance, a reservation is certainly advisable, especially if for more than just 2 people.

@floridarob seems we missed an opportunity to meet...