paborn

January trip report

14 hours ago, paborn said:

Only in airports and only in large ones. Dubai is crazy large and IMHO organized around shopping rather than quick access to gates.

I also request a wheelchair to get to and from the plane. I just turned 78yo. And these days all the Airports are just too big!! I have a bad hip, arthritis, and I just cannot walk those distances any more. And there are the added perks of getting on the plane first and going through the special immigration lines. I understand the wheelchair is provided at no charge by the Airport Service. But I usually give a Tip to the Attendant. I was told in Manila to NOT give a Tip. But I slipped 500Pesos in his hand and he gave me a big smile!!

Cheers to Paborn, enjoying your Post!!!

Very much enjoying the report too. It is a pity you only had a short time in Bangkok but I suspect Pattaya will be a full and rewarding period for you. Kudos for promptly making the time to check out Moonlight in spite of all the banter here, even though you already knew the “models” would not be quite your thing- I will take a leaf from your book and be open minded enough to visit Screwboys soon. 

8 hours ago, paborn said:

This day is dedicated to the newish Ganymede spa recommended by the estimable Divine Madman. To get there I use my new T-mobile phone and data plan ( recommended to me by this board ) and make my first use of Grab, recommended by Paulsf. Where would I be without everyone's help? 

Happy you like T Mobile plan. I have moved many people who travel extensively off of ATT and Verizon etc where the just rape you. Hope you noticed that the plan makes the local calls completely free if you have wifi.  I don't bother unless I expect it to be a very long call .

3 hours ago, Scooby said:

Happy you like T Mobile plan. I have moved many people who travel extensively off of ATT and Verizon etc where the just rape you. Hope you noticed that the plan makes the local calls completely free if you have wifi.  I don't bother unless I expect it to be a very long call .

Yes thank you very much. The plan is much better. With Verizon i was charged $9.99 for a days calls if I used the phone even once for a miniute call. I also got a new XR I phone to replace my old 6s whose battery was on it's last days. So much better.

8 hours ago, GWMinUS said:

I also request a wheelchair to get to and from the plane. I just turned 78yo. And these days all the Airports are just too big!! I have a bad hip, arthritis, and I just cannot walk those distances any more. And there are the added perks of getting on the plane first and going through the special immigration lines. I understand the wheelchair is provided at no charge by the Airport Service. But I usually give a Tip to the Attendant. I was told in Manila to NOT give a Tip. But I slipped 500Pesos in his hand and he gave me a big smile!!

Cheers to Paborn, enjoying your Post!!!

God bless! Yes, I always tip . Oddly , in Bangkok the same guy stayed with me up to the Taxi stand but on arrival in the US ( TSA government close down issues I think ) they were short staffed and were trading off most efficiently.

I choose Sunday to go to Pattaya as the opinion here is that there is less traffic midday Sunday than other days. Good advice, 90 minutes with no problems.

The driver arranged with Poseidon hotel in Jomtien was there early and that pleased me enormously and raised my expectations for the trip.

Rather than recount each day let me break this down to its constituent parts.      

The Poseidon:
I had never been to Jomtien but was convinced to try it as well as this Gay hotel. Well, it's outstanding. Very nice, attentive service and nice rooms. The restaurant is just fantastic. For the first time on a visit to Thailand, I ate western food as the chief here is wonderful. The menu is fairly short and German/Austrian and perfectly prepared. The Schnitzel is on the menu as "pork schnitzel" not pretending to be true Wiener Schnitzel as this is always made with veal. But, as family connections affirm most Vienesse make it with pork as it is far cheaper. The menu is entirely in that vein even offering the famous Berliner currywurst.

Breakfast is ala Cart I always chose bread basket ( all the bread here is wonderful ) augmenting with eggs, bacon, sausage. etc. Here I must mention that the breakfast sausage is a true breakfast sausage, not some sad hot dog abomination ( my apologies to hot dog lovers. I love a good ballpark or a true wienerwurst too, but it has no place on the breakfast table ) and the coffee is good.

I'll mention Dick's here as it is the only other place I ate. Dick's is the same in Jomtien as it was in Bangkok even down to the service tableware. The food is good and because the Poseidon does not serve lunch this was my place for a late lunch and afternoon tea.

Grab:
While this app was wonderful in Bangkok it was just evil in Pattaya. Not the app, of course, but the drivers. I tried several times but let me give just one cogent example: I wanted to go to Tukom. I typed in to pick up at the Poseidon and destination Tukom. 

The driver arrived promptly, tracked by the app, he drove to the general area of Tukcom with help of google and ended up circling a parking garage two blocks from Tukom and wondering how to get in past the pay gate. I got out after a fruitless no English-no Thai conversation and walked.

So, I ask. Would you not expect someone making his living driving in Pattaya be able to find a large shopping center in his own town?

more later.

On 1/30/2019 at 8:41 AM, paborn said:

exactly, Hank. This is better handled with dispatchers and the volume of business coupled with cheap labor would warrant it.

They had dispatchers for a while. Problem was, they were in cahoots with drivers, telling visitors there was a fixed fee of THB500 or more, which was defeating the purpose of the machines, tags, etc...

7 hours ago, EricV said:

They had dispatchers for a while. Problem was, they were in cahoots with drivers, telling visitors there was a fixed fee of THB500 or more, which was defeating the purpose of the machines, tags, etc...

Eric, if that's what truly happened it would have easier and far cheaper to fire them, throw them in jail for a stint and hire new people holding the examp0le over them. 

As always Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder. I am sure many members find very attractive boys in Jomtien.  But probably not the place if your preference is a more muscular  guy. There are quite a few bars in BoysTown area where you are also unlikely to find your type . But there is a more well rounded choice shell we say in BT vs. Jomtien.

I totally agree. I was just struck by the fact that, for me, the goi-go bars had 4 or 5 possible offs each night and I would walk up and down the Jomtien soi and find nothing for me. I didn't find any bars in Boys Town that did not have workers I found attractive. Sunee, also has nothing for me.

Great reports!

On 1/29/2019 at 9:26 PM, z909 said:

You are right to pick up on the floor levels issue.   They just don't get it.    Brand new high end tower blocks and yet there is a 2 inch random step in the floor where none should be necessary if the place is surveyed and constructed properly.    

I still clearly remember when I was about 15 and my parents went with me to Scotland for holiday, the hotel was labyrinthine, but I forgot how many turns and steps up and down it took to get from my room to my parents'.

Fake disco has a lot of steps, from stage going up to the wall, which might help to give everyone a view of stage, but has disadvantages when walking there drunk and without seeing the floor. (Before someone asks: I'm talking about my observation of others, not personal experience.)

And the gogo bar in a side soi of Bua Khao in Pattaya that closed around 2013, there was a step of a few centimeter, invisible in low light and dark tiles, on the way to toilet, where I hurt my toe.

And many more construction and interior design mishaps.

Taxi at airport. The last years, I always took the ARL from airport to town, and in some cases took taxi from ARL station closest to my room. If I were ever to take a taxi from airport, I would do at departure level to save the 50 THB fee. They built turnstiles to prevent people from doing so, but the last time I did (2014?) the turnstiles could turn in both directions!

I think that last time I took a taxi from there, despite agreeing on use of meter when I asked first, when we were on our way the driver asked for fixed fare, which I refused, so he sent me back to the same spot. That together with several other mishaps taxi from and even taxi to airport, was enough to give up.

ARL is clearly cheaper, takes about the same time, I am strong enough to carry my luggage, and my departure and arrival times are when ARL operates, so I don't bother with all the taxi bullshit any more.

Grab. All reports are positive, I might try some day. But I assume their maps are based on google maps, which has plenty of mistakes. If you have no local knowledge, and the location on google maps is wrong, you can't blame the driver. I just checked and Tuk-Com is correct on google maps, I have no idea why your trip went wrong. There is a multi story car park somewhere behind Tuk-Com which could be the place your driver took you. "Parking Garage Parking couvert Tuk Com" on google maps.

3 hours ago, ChristianPFC said:

Great reports!

I still clearly remember when I was about 15 and my parents went with me to Scotland for holiday, the hotel was labyrinthine, but I forgot how many turns and steps up and down it took to get from my room to my parents'.

Fake disco has a lot of steps, from stage going up to the wall, which might help to give everyone a view of stage, but has disadvantages when walking there drunk and without seeing the floor. (Before someone asks: I'm talking about my observation of others, not personal experience.)

And the gogo bar in a side soi of Bua Khao in Pattaya that closed around 2013, there was a step of a few centimeter, invisible in low light and dark tiles, on the way to toilet, where I hurt my toe.

And many more construction and interior design mishaps.

Taxi at airport. The last years, I always took the ARL from airport to town, and in some cases took taxi from ARL station closest to my room. If I were ever to take a taxi from airport, I would do at departure level to save the 50 THB fee. They built turnstiles to prevent people from doing so, but the last time I did (2014?) the turnstiles could turn in both directions!

I think that last time I took a taxi from there, despite agreeing on use of meter when I asked first, when we were on our way the driver asked for fixed fare, which I refused, so he sent me back to the same spot. That together with several other mishaps taxi from and even taxi to airport, was enough to give up.

ARL is clearly cheaper, takes about the same time, I am strong enough to carry my luggage, and my departure and arrival times are when ARL operates, so I don't bother with all the taxi bullshit any more.

Grab. All reports are positive, I might try some day. But I assume their maps are based on google maps, which has plenty of mistakes. If you have no local knowledge, and the location on google maps is wrong, you can't blame the driver. I just checked and Tuk-Com is correct on google maps, I have no idea why your trip went wrong. There is a multi story car park somewhere behind Tuk-Com which could be the place your driver took you. "Parking Garage Parking couvert Tuk Com" on google maps.

Christian, I suspect you're correct about the grab to Tukom. It was the multi-story parking garage. Here's another: inpute Poseidon destination Ambiance. Car arrives and off we go to an arean and a hotel that I don't recognize. He hands me his device and I type in Ambiance, check thart it's correct - off we go to another place. As I was following on my own google directions ( thanks Scooby for the data plan !!! ) and when we were 2 minutes away and he was parked on the side of the road talking to his help desk. I gave him a tip ( yeah I'm an American ) and left. The good news is Grab never billed me for that trip. 

I just think that Pattaya is not that big that a driver making his living as one would be able to loook at the map and find the damn thing - I did!

7 hours ago, paborn said:

Now for my controversial statement.  Feel free to jump in but this is my 12-day sampling result: the guys in Boystown are far, far better looking than the guys in Jomtien.

not me, I'm of the same opinion. 

Thank you for great  report but I'm not sure reading your narrative so far whether you enjoyed your trip or not , waiting impatiently for more

6 hours ago, ChristianPFC said:

all true and can't agree more but Swampy is 24 hrs airport  and lots of people are deparing and arriving when ARL is not operating. One of those Thai wonders - airport busy like hell all night  

( my longest wait in immigration there was when I arrived well past midnight ) but vital service like ARL stops  for 6 hours completely

My flights from USofA always arrive after ARL is sleeping.  I've only used it when I've been flying within Thailand and can attest to its efficiency and economy, but at midnight aftr almost a day of travel, a taxi to my hotel is practical and pretty quick as the daytime traffic is also sleeping.

On 1/28/2019 at 10:05 PM, paborn said:

are all the doorknobs set so close to the door frame that you bruise your knuckles unless you remember to use two extended fingers?  It's just so damn odd.

Ha, I'm glad someone else noticed as I thought it was just my OCD kicking in, but yes you're absolutely right, almost impossible to close the door without losing a knuckle each and every bloody time   !

I think the Ambiance cannot be accessed by car as Boystown is car-free (at night for sure, during day I don't remember cars there). And I had similar situations elsewhere, where the hotel was marked between two roads in google maps and it was not clear which road is the entrance to hotel.

When I take a taxi, I know exactly where I'm going and can give directions. It happens that taxi driver does not know the place.

But tourist who does not know directions and does not speak Thai has to rely on luck, that either google maps is correct or taxi driver knows the place.

Jomtien vs Boystown. I'm not interested in beer bars, so I spend only little, if any, time in Jomtien. Boys in underwear on stage are more interesting than fully dressed boys sitting, from that alone there might be a bias in attraction. However, I saw a few cute boys in Jomtien, and my current and all time favorite works there.

• Members
12 hours ago, ChristianPFC said:

Christian, I believe this was Cartier Boys on Soi Lengkee, which runs from Soi Buakhao to third road.  They had some very handsome boys working there, several with athletic and muscular builds, but yes, the interior of the club was quickly thrown together with seating on some old couches and a trip hazard on the floor as you say.  

• Members
14 hours ago, paborn said:

I was told that these Jopmtien bars are like the old Host Bars of Bangkok. No, not so. I spent years in Charmming, Adam, and Alladin. For some years I stayed in Saphan Kwai just to be near them.

Host bars had a group of guys, fully dressed, sitting on one side oriented toward you, looking at you, smiling at you, etc. No shows, no underwear but the same face to face, "take me home" idea.

Jomtien is a soi with open to the air bars facing each other. The chairs all face the soi and you sit with your back to the bar area. However, and this is huge for me: the guys are all in the soi between the chairs of facing bars trying to persuade people to come in.

Paborn, I thought I was the only one who used to stay in Saphan Kwai years ago to be close to the nightlife and host bars there.  I also spent lots of time in Charmming, Hippodrome, Midnight Cowboy, Apache, Alladin, Stax, etc.  I used to stay in the Mido Hotel on Thanon Pradipat, until the Karnmanee Palace was built across from it, then I stayed there every trip for many years until the demise of Saphan Kwai boy bars.  I once offed a nice boy from Hippodrome and took him to Koh Samui for a week.   He proudly pulled out the then current edition of Midway magazine to show me that he was that month's featured model.  He didn't know that I also had the same magazine and had searched for him because of his pictures in Midway.  That was back when magazine models would have sex with customers, not just there to be pretty like the cover model on the current edition of ThaiPuan. 

I agree that the Jomtien bars are not appealing to me, they are set up like Panorama, where most customers sit and look out into the soi.  Not the best way to view or meet the boys.