baobao

Guesses on travel time from Pattaya to Don Muang?

Although there are more than likely a thousand variables involved with getting from Pattaya by car to catch a flight out of Don Muang airport I'm trying to come up with an answer for a friend visiting soon for the first time, and any & all input (well, beggars can't be choosers!) would be appreciated.

He'll be catching a flight out of there early on a Sunday afternoon, and the best I've been able to gather so far is to allow five to six hours.  That means leaving Pattaya early on Sunday morning, so maybe the worst of the traffic would be in Bangkok itself? I've never made this transfer myself - haven't even been to DMK in seven years.

The key (IMHO) and baring traffic messes is finding a driver that knows the roads and gets you there without taking shortcuts to save money. My BF works near Don Muang daily and he goes from BangNa Expressway to Don Muang twice each day and never has an issue. But, it was a learning curve for him and he used the highways and motorways. Be sure your driver knows that area and your friend will be fine. 

3 hours ago, paulsf said:

Better yet.  Go to Bangkok Saturday night and get hotel room near airport.  Takes all the stress away.  

+1,

although I'd stay in Silom area , off  a guy  / or girl if person in question is heretic /  and take taxi  after breakfast , 1 hr , 300-350 baht or even better , MRT to Hualampong and train from there -1 hr , 5 baht 

Its daft easy-for any knowledgeable driver, to avoid BKK by using the (even mostly toll-free) outer ring roads, though this means a few more Kms to drive.

In general-traffic here on sunday-mornings is pretty light (as it is today and tomorrow due to the Phimai jeen), but on the OLD expressways=those crossing town from bangNa is can have hold-ups any time, completely unpredictable (mostly due to accidents, so you also wont know how long it takes to clear).

From Silom-dont bother with the rolling openairmuseum called SRT-take BTS to end=Mochit and follow the 1000s of Chinese for the A1 direct expressbus, now brand newblue buses, 30 bt.

I have never taken the old train to DMK, but the last time I went through DMK, it took about an hour.    I have usually taken the BTS and bus, as advised above.  

When I took a taxi from DMK to Pattaya, it was near 3 hours, although it would have been nearer 2.5 had he been using Google maps and avoiding traffic in Pattaya.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. He's in Pattaya for a convention that weekend and has an obligation in Pattaya on Saturday evening that'll prevent an overnight in Bangkok -  that was my first thought, too. I'm booking the taxi for him so I'll see if the suggestions on routes help. At this point I'm just building slack into the schedule so he doesn't miss the flight from DMK.  There's still a couple of weeks before this needs to work.

As it is an afternoon flight, my approach would be to leave in plenty of time and kill the spare time reading in one of DMK's coffee shops, airside.   No stress that way.

14 hours ago, z909 said:

As it is an afternoon flight, my approach would be to leave in plenty of time and kill the spare time reading in one of DMK's coffee shops, airside.   No stress that way.

That sounds like the best idea overall - thank you. He's traveling with a taxi service I've had good luck with for the last few trips and they've replied advising him to allow five to six hours for the trip, too.