ichigo

Trip Report (very very late..)

reading your day 4 as soon as you mentioned mango shake I thought ouch ! Sentence or two later I felt like a prophet.

Not to much fun on some of your days but at least you know how paradise looks  / and feels / like.

Coming trip you will be old hands, stick to beer for the first week, leave shakes for later when you body gets adjusted to local  flora.

Ive never had that experience before (passed out due to food poisoning), that must be scary. Main reason for food poisoning to be very dangerous, is severe dehydration and passing out is a serious symptom of dehydration. Glad u manage to came out of it, and only got bruises. It could be much worse. I guess ive had been lucky to never had food poisoning in thailand, as i really eat all kinds of food, and shakes, from the street food to restaurants. Maybe living just south of thailand, my stomach can handle the food with no issues, but surely as im getting older, ill need to watch where and what i eat. Hope you will have fun in pattaya, if u like what u see in dreamboy, you will like BBB bars in Boyztown. Seems like u are getting more action in massage, and bangkok have so many of those. In pattaya, the massage center in boyztown (copa, scandic, ambiance) would be your best bet.

I am amazed at the clarity of your memory, since the trip was in 2016. Then again I suppose epic food poisoning does tend to etch every detail into one’s mind. Thank you for posting - better late than never :D Glad to hear you had a pre-booked guide who was able to give you medicine. You are also very brave to go to Chatuchak in the grips of stomach trouble. 

Hopefully your next trip will be much, much better and we look forward to the report (even if only reported in 2021 LOL)

Thanks for the trip report.   Having food poisoning affect almost 50% of a trip is unlucky.

My last such incident was about 4 years ago & I was still somewhat more regular than normal 12 months later.    Since then, I have started taking one probiotic tablet a day, before I eat anything else.   

This study isn't going to get published in the Lancet any time soon, but under this regime I have had about 17 weeks in SE Asia with no issues so far.   Not really statistically significant, but I am happy with the results.

great report, sounds like you already know how to get fun if no food poisoning gets in the way. I NEVER had any serious food poisoning in Thailand, the worst just getting the runs for a bit, but after one or two sittings all done and out. Certainly not from mango shakes, I have those and other shakes (coconut is a fave) ALL the time, and everywhere from street to proper restaurants to shopping malls. BUT it seems a fact that some people are more sensitive with these things than others, so you'll probably have to be more careful in the future. Takes away some of the great pleasure of food&drink sampling from a trip, but better safe than sorry and having fun time taken away.

Muse hotel must be nice, never stayed there but looks nice and supposed to have a really good steak house. 

Sounds like a long and busy trip that's coming up. In the Philippines brace for the worst food in all of Asia lol. Seriously no good food to be had there. Anyway, should you have some time in BKK, let me know...

12 hours ago, vinapu said:

reading your day 4 as soon as you mentioned mango shake I thought ouch ! Sentence or two later I felt like a prophet.

Not to much fun on some of your days but at least you know how paradise looks  / and feels / like.

Coming trip you will be old hands, stick to beer for the first week, leave shakes for later when you body gets adjusted to local  flora.

I will definitely be more careful this time round and stick to beer and bottled water I think!

11 hours ago, spoon said:

Ive never had that experience before (passed out due to food poisoning), that must be scary. Main reason for food poisoning to be very dangerous, is severe dehydration and passing out is a serious symptom of dehydration. Glad u manage to came out of it, and only got bruises. It could be much worse. I guess ive had been lucky to never had food poisoning in thailand, as i really eat all kinds of food, and shakes, from the street food to restaurants. Maybe living just south of thailand, my stomach can handle the food with no issues, but surely as im getting older, ill need to watch where and what i eat. Hope you will have fun in pattaya, if u like what u see in dreamboy, you will like BBB bars in Boyztown. Seems like u are getting more action in massage, and bangkok have so many of those. In pattaya, the massage center in boyztown (copa, scandic, ambiance) would be your best bet.

Yes it was unfortunate but you live and you learn. I am looking forward to my first time in Pattaya and will definitely hit up the bars and massage places in Boyztown!

11 hours ago, hank75 said:

I am amazed at the clarity of your memory, since the trip was in 2016. Then again I suppose epic food poisoning does tend to etch every detail into one’s mind. Thank you for posting - better late than never :D Glad to hear you had a pre-booked guide who was able to give you medicine. You are also very brave to go to Chatuchak in the grips of stomach trouble. 

Hopefully your next trip will be much, much better and we look forward to the report (even if only reported in 2021 LOL)

I found a few notes which I wrote whilst I was there, so that definitely helped :P Hoping my next trip will be more successful!

7 hours ago, z909 said:

Thanks for the trip report.   Having food poisoning affect almost 50% of a trip is unlucky.

My last such incident was about 4 years ago & I was still somewhat more regular than normal 12 months later.    Since then, I have started taking one probiotic tablet a day, before I eat anything else.   

This study isn't going to get published in the Lancet any time soon, but under this regime I have had about 17 weeks in SE Asia with no issues so far.   Not really statistically significant, but I am happy with the results.

Thanks for the suggestion - will definitely look into it.

1 hour ago, anddy said:

great report, sounds like you already know how to get fun if no food poisoning gets in the way. I NEVER had any serious food poisoning in Thailand, the worst just getting the runs for a bit, but after one or two sittings all done and out. Certainly not from mango shakes, I have those and other shakes (coconut is a fave) ALL the time, and everywhere from street to proper restaurants to shopping malls. BUT it seems a fact that some people are more sensitive with these things than others, so you'll probably have to be more careful in the future. Takes away some of the great pleasure of food&drink sampling from a trip, but better safe than sorry and having fun time taken away.

Muse hotel must be nice, never stayed there but looks nice and supposed to have a really good steak house. 

Sounds like a long and busy trip that's coming up. In the Philippines brace for the worst food in all of Asia lol. Seriously no good food to be had there. Anyway, should you have some time in BKK, let me know...

Yeah for me the worst of it was over in a day or so, but it took a bit longer before I started feeling better. I'll be more careful in future. Muse Hotel was great, loved the general theme of the hotel but didn't manage to eat at the steak house. I'll include a photo below. But it's funny, I've been to the Philippines a few times in the past and have never gotten food poisoning there!

IMG_20161004_143233.jpg

IMG_20161004_143306.jpg

I've been to Bangkok 6 times in the past year (lucky me). I always eat local, and not just restaurants for dinner, but street food for lunch and backstreet soi for breakfast noodles. Never a problem as Thai people are so clean, irrespective of surroundings. I'm in India now, using  antibacterial handwash all the time to try and make it through to Saturday, when I go to BKK and see my lovely fiancee again. I can't wait!

21 hours ago, spoon said:

I think by bad food in philiphines, he meant taste wise? Ive been there once and am not looking forward to eating at all when i was there lol

Yes, they have some dire food there.  Loads of junk food.   Then I go for an "Indian Curry" and it has no spices at all.  Like plain tinned veg.   

Thankfully with a little bit more research, some acceptable options could be found.

The Filipino boys make up for the poor food though.   Very affectionate & good in bed.

On 2/6/2019 at 10:04 PM, spoon said:

I think by bad food in philiphines, he meant taste wise? Ive been there once and am not looking forward to eating at all when i was there lol

On 2/6/2019 at 10:53 PM, ichigo said:

Oh right! ahaha I quite like filipino food - ate a lot of it growing up, and still a bit today!

correct, I meant taste-wise.

No idea what you might like about it @ichigo, but obviously personal tastes differ wildly (be it in boys or food lol) I usually found it bland, with  no spices, and generally  lacking any hint of finesse, including the supposedly "best" dish Chicken Adobo.
I remember very well one meal on my last trip to PH when I thought I go for a simple but hopefully safe bet, a spaghetti bolognese. While that can also differ wildly in quality and flavor anywhere in the world, there they managed to make it particularly bad and bland. Oh well....

Thanks for the additional Muse pictures. Looks nice in a kinda old-fashioned style

On 2/11/2019 at 8:59 PM, anddy said:

correct, I meant taste-wise.

No idea what you might like about it @ichigo, but obviously personal tastes differ wildly (be it in boys or food lol) I usually found it bland, with  no spices, and generally  lacking any hint of finesse, including the supposedly "best" dish Chicken Adobo.
I remember very well one meal on my last trip to PH when I thought I go for a simple but hopefully safe bet, a spaghetti bolognese. While that can also differ wildly in quality and flavor anywhere in the world, there they managed to make it particularly bad and bland. Oh well....

Thanks for the additional Muse pictures. Looks nice in a kinda old-fashioned style

Personal tastes do differ I agree, but I dunno, I was raised on Filipino food so it's kinda comforting for me. But yes, Filipino spaghetti is definitely different.. I'm not sure if I like it either haha

14 hours ago, ichigo said:

Personal tastes do differ I agree, but I dunno, I was raised on Filipino food so it's kinda comforting for me. But yes, Filipino spaghetti is definitely different.. I'm not sure if I like it either haha

ah ok, that makes sense! What one grows up with always has a special place ;) 

On 2/6/2019 at 8:04 AM, spoon said:

OH you guys!! The foods in the Philippines are excellent!! Of course you must try the lechon baboy (roasted pork) and the plentiful seafoods (shrimp, crab, lapu-lapu). I do not do the Street Foods there. It is not at all like Thailand. But fly to Cebu City and go to Ayala Mall. Many great local restaurants to enjoy. And never got food poisoning. HAHAHA  INGAT!!