TotallyOz

How do you convert AIS Number to True?

For years I have been with AIS (12Call) and like it. But, in Bangkok, their data is MUCH slower than True.  I like my number and don't want to lose that. Does anyone know the process to keep the number but convert over to a new carrier and keep the same number?

The True packages are all shown on their website.  I browse that, so I can get what suits me.   Admittedly the site is a bit if a mess without much logical structure, but all it needs is some patience.   Note:  As a tourist, I do pre-paid.

I have generally found competent staff who speak enough English in Silom Complex (ground floor).   

Just tried a speed test and got 35.8 mb/s,   although it is past midnight.

This may be of use.   I view in Chrome, which translates anything that True don't.

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/move_to_true/postpaid

On a related topic, I saw something that extended the validity of my pre-paid SIM for a modest fee.   So presumably I can do that a couple of times, then use the same SIM for my next visit.   Has anyone tried this ?

10 hours ago, z909 said:

On a related topic, I saw something that extended the validity of my pre-paid SIM for a modest fee.   So presumably I can do that a couple of times, then use the same SIM for my next visit.   Has anyone tried this ?

dunno for TRUE, but AIS prepaid SIMs extend each time you top up money. For smaller amounts 1 month, for bigger amounts (nit sure, something like 200 or 300 and up) it's even 2 or 3 months. The extension is always added to whatever the latest expiration date was. So what you can do is top up 10 baht twelve times and you get 1 year validity which is the maximum. 

Such small top ups can easily and conveniently be made at the top up machines outside many 7/11's or family marts. I heard though,t hat SOME of those machines take as small fee, while others don't, so get the right one. 

@ChristianPFC is using these machines (I never have) and can advise more 

I have bought prepaid 3 weeks AIS travellers SIM at Suvarnabhumi airport and  have been topping up each time I visit Bkk so I can keep the same phone number.

I use AIS self service machine, which you can choose English language.

Minium amount is 20baht and can extend validity for one month each time, repeat another 20baht and another one month.

Supposedly you can only extend up to one year but I am keeping the same SIM ( the same phone number) over 2 years.

Thanks for the advice.

I just topped up  True by 200 baht from Kasikorn and it extended the validity to late June.    (Zero bank charge)

I then used the dialling code below to add 180 days, whilst still in Thailand.   The True website tells me the number is valid until 18 December.    

So if this works, I should have a working phone from the moment I step off the plane next time AND will not have to go to Kasikorn to change the phone no attached to the bank account.

As an alternative, the Kasikorn website allows me to set up recurring payments to True for up to a year, but minimum is 50 baht.

11-EN.jpg

Extension of validity varies greatly from one provider to the other. Maximum validity for AIS is 365 days. Registering your number does not help. I did so in 2012 (?) hoping that would keep the number to my name, but the time I came to Thailand for holiday, it was beyond validity and I couldn't get the number back. Between AIS, you can transfer validity or balance for a small fee.

@ChristianPFC is using these machines (I never have) and can advise more 

These machines do indeed come with or without service fee, as high as 5 THB for 100 THB top-op, i.e. you have to insert 105 THB.

There is an interesting problem related to expiration of SIM-cards. I have saved someone's number, his validity expires, the number is assigned to a new SIM-card and bought by a new person. The network detects activity, and LINE adds this person. I message him/her, hoping to find a long-lost friend. Usually it's pretty quick to figure out it's not the person I'm looking for, but once I ended up with a Thai woman who insisted she loves me and wanted to marry me, and when I told her that's impossible because I'm gay, she wanted to borrow 20,000 THB.

Is there a reliable way to handle pre-paid package renewals with True  ?

If I renew on the last day of validity, it renews immediately, not at midnight.  So I lose a day, which isn't good if I have decided a couple of 7 day packages are optimum to cover the remainder of my trip.

If I renew after expiry, my balance is depleted by data charges.

In the UK with gift gaff, I can buy packages and manually renew before expiry, with the renewal effective at the expiry timing of the old package.   The auto renew option can also be switched on or off on their website.  Good for when I go to Thailand.   The only thing it lacks is the option to start a package at some date in the future.  Not a major concern.