Uranus

Up for grabs

I just downloaded the Grab app to ease travel in the Big Mango. This morning I wanted to travel from my condo in Ploenchit to Shangri-la for some nice dim sum. The app quoted 293 baht. Instead I went down to the street and literally grabbed a metered taxi. Even with a little detour down Silom it only came to 79 baht. 

yes.  not entirely surprising.  Grab starts out a bit higher than you would probably see on metered taxi and then you may be subject to dynamic/surge pricing, which of course doesn't happen when the taxi actually uses the meter.  (Also the different choices between grab taxi, grab car, just grab, etc., give you different prices.).  For jollies I just checked (13:30 pm) what Grab was quoting for Ploenchit BTS to Shangri-La and the just grab price was 117.  grab taxi was 101-132.  Premium cars of course even more expensive.  I wonder if you got hit with a big surge pricing premium.

There is an official Thai taxi app called Taxi OK.  It's meant to be a competitor and the taxis in the program have to meet certain minimum standards.  I've tried to use it a few times but have invariably ended up using Grab because no taxis actually agree to the pickup.  Maybe someone else can get it to work for them....

I have mixed luck getting taxis off the street easily, so in your particular experience of "literally grabbed a metered taxi", well, for me,  sometimes it's that easy and other times not so much.  After a few 10-15 minute episodes trying to find a taxi willing to go where you want to go and to use the meter, the lure of Grab might be greater.  If you're staying at or near a hotel then there might be a queue of taxis and the doorman can help explain where you want to go and to insist on the meter.  I miss those days....

If I'm going out into the 'burbs to find a spot of one sort or another outside central Bangkok I always use Grab, just because I can get the location sent to me via Line or I can get the pinpoint location on google maps, link that directly to Grab and then it pops up on the driver's screen automatically and I never have to try to show him the location on the map or call the shop to explain to him.  For me, that alone is worth a lot.  Not so important in the main tourist areas.  Also nice to be able to pay using for the trip through the Grab app.

I generally try to avoid using Thai taxis, since despite the presence of  Taxi Meter sign on the top, they often try to quote a fixed fare.

The last time I did use one, it was via Grab.   Despite 2 taxis being parked across from my hotel, the grab fare looked competitive.  Also no arguments over meter use, no incentives for him to go the long way and no difficulty explaining where I wanted to go.

The one market I have seen transformed by phone app hailing is in Phnom Penh, where Indian Tuk Tuks using "Pass App" are everywhere.   It's cheap and one usually arrives in seconds.  This also eliminates the farang pricing.  Would be nice to see that catch on in other places.

5 hours ago, DivineMadman said:

I can get the pinpoint location on google maps, link that directly to Grab and then it pops up on the driver's screen automatically and I never have to try to show him the location on the map or call the shop to explain to him.  For me, that alone is worth a lot.  

I agree completely.

I use Grab when I want to try a new restaurant in Bangkok, happy to pay 100 baht extra for the convenience of never needing to speak to the driver.

I also use Grab when I want to go the places where the traffic is horrible i.e.crossing Rachaprasong or Asoke intersection that I know I will have difficulties hailing meter taxis off street.