DivineMadman

Suvarnabhumi Airport Expansion

3 hours ago, Scooby said:

I just wondered if you could get a card such as Chase Reserve card and partake in the benefits. It certainly is an International Bank.

Chase operates in some Asian countries as J. P. Morgan Chase. But I think I am right in saying it does not get involved in consumer banking in most of the countries. A bit like HSBC which pulled its consumer banking business out of Thailand some years ago. HSBC now only handles commercial clients. So those banks wouldnt be issuing ccs.

Some smaller banks might offer a few thousand miles (less than 5,000) if you sign up for a cc linked with the bank and an airline and spend a certain amount in the first months. But the perks are minuscule compared to those offered by US banks for US citizens.

I joined Priority Pass for one year. In Asia it is mostly a waste. Unlimited access is US$429 annually. I found the lounges were absolutely packed most of the time. Just imagine the number of biz passengers who have to fly coach departing each day from Singapore, Bangkok., Hong Kong and other major hubs. Before the crash of 2008, many of these businessmen would be entitled to biz class. Now they are forced to downgrade and they are the ones who mostly use Priority Pass. The lounges just are too small to handle the numbers.

I have only used it a few times in Frankfurt, Tampa and a few other places .  Times must have been good so they were no more crowded then most airline clubs . I'm frequently Business for International flights so I don't need the Priority pass except in arrival in ORD, JFK, EWR etc where my connecting flights are usually in the back of the airplane.

12 hours ago, PeterRS said:

I joined Priority Pass for one year. In Asia it is mostly a waste. Unlimited access is US$429 annually. I found the lounges were absolutely packed most of the time. Just imagine the number of biz passengers who have to fly coach departing each day from Singapore, Bangkok., Hong Kong and other major hubs. Before the crash of 2008, many of these businessmen would be entitled to biz class. Now they are forced to downgrade and they are the ones who mostly use Priority Pass. The lounges just are too small to handle the numbers.

A packed lounge would make the lounge pointless for me.   I encountered that in Heathrow T3 a few years ago, but finding a quiet room that most others missed saved the day.

As for business use, well my former employer would expense meals, but there would be no hope of claiming lounge access.   Maybe rules are different in Asia.

22 hours ago, PeterRS said:

I understand most of your comments but the math eludes me on one thing. What difference does it make if those same passengers were flying Business and used the Lounge or had to change to Priority Pass for the same Lounges they used before? Still the same passengers  taking up space.

All Lounges are crowded at certain times as the Airlines use it as a benefit but they gain no revenue from providing the free food, drinks , etc to their valued passengers. Do you really think passengers who fly Business Class on Long Haul flights would stop using Business Class if there were no free lounges. I think not . 12, 15, 18 hours or more in airplanes is why they fly Business Class , the Lounges just happen to be an extra benefit for most who use them.

2 hours ago, Scooby said:

I understand most of your comments but the math eludes me on one thing. What difference does it make if those same passengers were flying Business and used the Lounge or had to change to Priority Pass for the same Lounges they used before? 

As far as I can tell, most airports have multiple lounges, most of which are run by specific airlines or "alliances" (cartel might be a better word than alliance).   Plus maybe an independent lounge that anyone can use for a fee.

If the special offer pass gets you into one specific lounge, my maths tells me the better the special offer, the more crowded it will be.

So I went online and looked at my choices at a few airports. LHR 6 to choose from, CDG (5), AMS (2) BKK (13) FRA (5)   They are mixes of Airline and Private Lounges and mixes between Arrival Concourses and Departure Courses. 

Like I said frequently I am on a BC Ticket and don't need these but sometimes especially in Europe and USA for Domestic flights , I am economy and these are nice to have . They are completely free for me because my Chase Reserve Card gives it to me as a benefit.