reader

Another mall among other malls

From Khaosod English (13 Feb.)

image.png.25883b5b58c48d8b80f58504e7be05a5.png

BANGKOK — CentralWorld. Central Chidlom. Gaysorn Village. In case it lacked shopping opportunities, Ratchadamri Road is adding another mall tomorrow.

After several months of delay, The Market Bangkok has set its official opening for Thursday, which just happens to be Valentine’s Day.

Owned by The Platinum Group, the six-story, mixed-use project sits on 21 rai and cost  9 billion baht to build. It includes two Marriott-owned hotels – Fairfield and Moxy Hotel Bangkok Ratchaprasong. The Market Bangkok shopping mall features more than 1,200 shops selling food, drinks, clothing and more.

It sells itself as “Bangkok New Dream.”

The Market Bangkok is located on Ratchadamri Road next to Big C Ratchadamri. It can be reached via skywalk from BTS Chit Lom.

Continues at

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2019/02/13/ratchaprasongs-newest-mall-the-market-opens-on-v-day/

I am actually happy that the construction work on this mall is finally over.

The pavement in front of the site was incredibly dusty, people walking there put handkerchief around their mouth if they were not wearing masks.

That construction site was one of the biggest PM 2.5 contribution around the area.

I stopped in there today. It isn't quite the same as every other mall. As the name implies it is more like a market with small stalls - sort of like that one section at Terminal 21 or certain parts of MBK. I will admit that I have never understood how retail works here. How do all of these stores and shops stay open when no one ever buys anything there? I like wandering around the malls because they are air conditioned and it's something to do. But I almost never see any customers actually buying anything. Most shops seem to mostly be empty when I am there. And so it is with this new mall. Lots of little vendors selling various clothing items and lots of different food vendors including the usual places like KFC, Pizza Company, etc. There are two stalls in close proximity selling the exact same wallets, passport covers, etc that can be personalized with your name or these little metal plates that can be attached. I saw one food counter business that had 5 or 6 employees and no customers. I get that it's brand new, but it was Sunday lunchtime which you would expect to be busy. Central World was quite busy, for example.