Guest guest_BenG1000

BKK newbie

Can't disagree with most the comments above except for the idea of staying in overpriced hotels like Le Meridian, Sofitel, W etc.

A night in this type of hotel can be 5-8000B a night and in my experience leads to an inflated expectation of a higher tip

And lets face it in bkk the difference between a 3000 and 8000 a night hotel is pretty negligible, unless of course you are precious and need to feel extra special or have points to spend

Also you state above that you are a bottom, but are seeking a "twink" - most of the twinky boys in the bars are (raging) bottoms... I a guessing that you are looking for "manly" or gay tops? if so I don't think Classic boys is the best place for you. Perhaps Screw boys would be better?

6 minutes ago, colmx said:

Can't disagree with most the comments above except for the idea of staying in overpriced hotels like Le Meridian, Sofitel, W etc.

A night in this type of hotel can be 5-8000B a night and in my experience leads to an inflated expectation of a higher tip

And lets face it in bkk the difference between a 3000 and 8000 a night hotel is pretty negligible, unless of course you are precious and need to feel extra special or have points to spend

Also you state above that you are a bottom, but are seeking a "twink" - most of the twinky boys in the bars are (raging) bottoms... I a guessing that you are looking for "manly" or gay tops? if so I don't think Classic boys is the best place for you. Perhaps Screw boys would be better?

Wow.  So if someone stays at Le Meridien they're "precious."  Sad that you feel the need to criticize people like that.  It's the usual shit about people projecting their money issues onto others.  If someone wants to spend their money on X, Y or Z, they should be free to do so.  Can't imagine how this negativity makes you or the world a happier or better place.  Do you really walk by nice hotels thinking such bad thoughts about the strangers who stay there????  

And if the customer has left the bar and he and his guy has already set on the standard short-time or long-time tip, expectations are set and that's s non-issue.  Maybe the guy will like being taken to a Le Meridien or Crowne Plaza or Raya.    

Also, there are tons of twinks who happily both or top, even at Classic Boys.  If the OP twinks, why not take him at his word.  If the OP wants to stay at the W, why piss in the punchbowl.

@DivineMadman I didn't try and piss in anyone's punchbowl. I was simply pointing out:

1. There is much better value in Bkk away from the international chains, I never mentioned projection or anything else, that YOU are projecting onto what I said!

2. Expectations change when the boy arrives in a hotel, suddenly the 2500 ST that he agreed with you at the bar feels cheap when he arrives at the 8000B a night hotel (W being 8000, Raya being the 3000 option), this in turn may lead to a lesser performance as they are feeling short changed. Of course this is not every boy, but with some it happens

3. On the bar point I simply pointed out that as the OP has already stated he is a bottom he would have better luck in Screw boys for finding a top twink type guy

Seems you are very tetchy this morning, the OP is a newbie and I think its only fair that he receives balanced advice of all our combined experiences

15 hours ago, BenG1000 said:

I sort of had taken Jupiter (seems to have a fair bit of negative reviews) and Moonlight (looking at their website, the guys are too muscly for me)  off my list but I agree, I should compare. Looks like I will be bar hopping on my first night ;-)

take nothing off your list based on our reviews and opinions here and what others are saying in other places, go and check for yourself.

We may have base for negative review or , opposite,  to sing accolades about guys and places but that not necessarily may reflect what you will see.

Arrive with wide open eyes , not preconceived notions and rest assured , no matter how wide your eyes will be opened on arrival, after bars tour they even will be waaaaaaaaay wider .

You are for a treat and there's no Thai trip like first trip

Hotels are a personal choice...location, amenities (or lack of), breakfast included, price. Last visit (November) I took a large executive suite at Bandara.  The Raya was booked with a Japanese golf tour so I ventured away from Twilight and Silom.  I liked it for the view which was 24 floors up and overlooked the park.  Would I stay there again, yes, but The Raya is more convenient.  Prices were similar and less than at the Meridian or Crowne Plaza.

Given how you describe yourself, you may find that one of the Viet boys to your liking. If PaulSF is at Maxi’s during your trip he is an ambassador to them and they honor him like an uncle - among other reasons. 

By the way no one should be paying 8000 for W! That is inflated high season “fighting with Chinese tourists” pricing. W and Le Meridien can be had for around 5000 with some pre planning and use of booking sites. And for 4000 you can still get a lower tier 5 star or nice boutique. 

maybe one of the misconceptions is exactly how much people are paying to stay in 5 star- often less than you think!

8 minutes ago, ggobkk said:

Hank75 was the 100K paid to the Moonlight model in baht or another currency?

Baht. He was hired by a businessman to be a companion, but also to ‘entertain’ the businessman’s female clients. 

Edit: he is now at Moonlight but ex Jupiter. This happened when he worked at Jupiter.

4 minutes ago, jason1975 said:

I love The Raya because of its proximity to Soi Twilight. I once had 3 different offs in one night from bars in Twilight, walking up and down. Looking back, I should have gotten all 3 boys together for the night!

they wouldn't blink an eye. While ago I was observing my birthday there hosting two boys , nobody made any grimaces other than receptionist who was confused why I'm buying breakfast ticket in my room rate includes already two, but understood explanation that I have 2 guests with me. 

Another day on the same trip I was walking my day time guest after his assignment  to an elevator where my next guest just arrived and  was already waiting to start his tour of duty, again if there were any looks , they were rather  full of silent admiration directed at me, not contempt  

9 minutes ago, vinapu said:

I don't know about colmx but me, yes

If true, that's really sad.  As gay men we should be "live and let live" and "spend and let spend."  If you're judgmental -- and calling people "precious" is certainly judgmental -- about a simple thing as where people stay or how they chose to spend their money on their hobbies or themselves, then are you really any different from the people out there thinking and increasingly saying doing all the hateful homophobic things/acts about how two people choose to love or live?  Also, all that negativity is just a poison in your system.  It's not doing you or anyone else any good.  Judging other people for their hotel choices????  

19 minutes ago, vinapu said:

Another day on the same trip I was walking my day time guest after his assignment  to an elevator where my next guest just arrived and  was already waiting to start his tour of duty, again if there were any looks , they were rather  full of silent admiration directed at me, not contempt  

This is why I enjoy Stranger Bar, as mentioned by DivineMadman. I often encounter fellow punters with their boy special. Given how tiny the place is, quite often we have to share tables. Sometimes a conversation is struck, other times we merely eye up each other’s boys and trade winks/smiles when the boys are not looking. Great fun. 

56 minutes ago, hank75 said:

I didn’t take colmx’s post as judgmental and can fully see his perspective. But my preference has always been towards the nicer hotels. Why? I make a decent salary, really value my hard earned short visits to Bangkok (which give me a much needed mental and physical break) and don’t want to deal with the hassle of any hotel malfunctions which might put any of my 2 or 3 or 4 days out of kilter. These visits are usually sandwiched in between intense work periods and I NEED that little oasis of peace and enjoyment so as not to go stir crazy. If I was on a two or three week Bangkok trip where my only focus was boys, I would obviously opt for something more economical but I’ve simply never had the luxury of staying that long. 

I’ve often thought that I over spend on hotels. Also on food, on taking Grab instead of spending five minutes to negotiate a taxi meter, on drunkenly splashing out on drinks for myself and my boys. I admire those of you who have been prudent and are now enjoying a better retirement lifestyle for your savings. Am starting to consider how I can cut back in order to put more towards my retirement fund. 

But my point is- you will never understand others’ motivations nor where they penny pinch to give themselves some luxuries. So don’t shoot them down for it, please. For a first timer like BenG1000, I can absolutely see why he would want everything to go like clockwork and is willing to spend to make that happen. We already know nothing in Bangkok goes according to plan! So let the man have his comfort. 

My thinking is much the same. If I’m only going to be there for 4 nights then it’s not such an expense and I’d rather be comfortable and have good service. I chose the Raya for my first stay because the rooms looked huge and it was right in the thick of things. Despite a couple of niggles with the hotel, I didn’t regret the choice. Staff were great and I felt comfortable which was important for my first time in the country. 

Somewhere with easy access to Sala denang BTS is another tick box I’d suggest for Beng1000 as it’s easy to use and cheap, possibly less hassle even than Grab or taxis. 

3 hours ago, DivineMadman said:

If true, that's really sad.  As gay men we should be "live and let live" and "spend and let spend."  If you're judgmental -- and calling people "precious" is certainly judgmental -- about a simple thing as where people stay or how they chose to spend their money on their hobbies or themselves, then are you really any different from the people out there thinking and increasingly saying doing all the hateful homophobic things/acts about how two people choose to love or live?  Also, all that negativity is just a poison in your system.  It's not doing you or anyone else any good.  Judging other people for their hotel choices????  

Relax, I think vinapu was just kidding.

I also didn't think colmx was being judgmental and was only sharing his perspective on hotels and offs. From his post I didn't get the impression that he was projecting his money issues on anyone or that he even had money issues.

38 minutes ago, Liam18 said:

Relax, I think vinapu was just kidding.

I also didn't think colmx was being judgmental and was only sharing his perspective on hotels and offs. From his post I didn't get the impression that he was projecting his money issues on anyone or that he even had money issues.

then you please do explain this from colmx:  "unless of course you are precious and need to feel extra special "  What's that?

Guest guest_BenG1000

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your comments, I do value all your opinions and advice.

I have a stressful and busy job so the few times I go on holiday ... it needs to be relaxing, I like to be pampered, I like a bit of luxury and space. To be in a comfortable, spacious hotel room is a big part of that. Le Meridien seems to fit that bill and seems to have a super location. A single gay guy without siblings or dependants, I like to spend my money on holidays; I don't drive a flash car and I do not have any hobbies (other than travelling)

In BKK, I want to have a fun holiday, new experiences, meet some lovely people, have a laugh ... create some memories.

Yes, I am a bottom and yes I am attracted to twinks ... not the easiest combo I know hahaaa. I'm sure I could find someone in BKK, I'll ask Paul to help me :D

Speaking of Paul, we have already been chatting and he has kindly offered to meet at Maxi's, show me around! I'll be there from 3rd to 13th May.

This thread got derailed because some members want to comment on how members choose to spend their money. Try to remember it is their money, if they want to stay in a 5 star Hotel it is no one else's business. If they want to take a Limo from the airport to their Hotel again it is their money . If they want to fly Business Class for their 20 hours in the air, again it is their  business how they spend their money.

If a member asks for opinion on Hotels in a certain price range then this Forum will undoubtably give him wonderful information which he can digest and make a decision. I also find it ridiculous that a boy will want a larger tip because of where you are staying. That amount is determined before you leave the BAR etc and 99% of boys would never expect more .

BenG1000 has picked an excellent Hotel in a great location and I have no doubt he will enjoy his stay there.He might even even enjoy the wonderful Buffett Breakfast he will get as will his companions.

Over the 16+ years now of bkk visits, have stayed at hotels, condos, serviced apartments from both ends of the spectrum and everything in between. Never had a guy complain about the low end places and had some rave about the high end spots. The latter prompted some to linger longer (a few even asked to stay the night with no request to up fee).

As I got closer to retirement, the Dusit Thani became my splurge and always tried to fit in a few days there per trip. I sorely miss it as do some regulars.

For a newbie or a veteran, it’s tough to go wrong with Raya. Big, comfortable bed, good WiFi, plentiful breakfast and as others have noted, no problem whatsoever with guests. Not to mention the location.

Thankfully the offerings in Silom area are many and varied to meet all tastes and budgets.

Just enjoy the hell out of your time there. You earned it.

Personally, I will spend the minimum amount necessary to ensure a certain standard of accommodation.   That might be Eur 50-60 for an Ibis in Berlin, 1400 baht at the Baan Silom in Bangkok, or 500 baht for a room in an as new hotel in Isan.   [The downside us occasionally screwing up and staying in some dump like the Nantra]

Whilst I personally don't see sufficient value in the 6000 baht a night hotels, I perfectly respect the decision of others to choose them.     I'm a capitalist at heart.  If you are making more than me,well done.   

The one point where I tend to disagree is on the tipping.   

Contractually and logically, a boy should get the same tip whether the room cost 1000 or 6000.   I agree on that.    

However, in practice psychology comes into it and his tip EXPECTATIONS will be higher in a fancy hotel.   Particularly if he hears how much it costs.     There have been all sorts of experiments done regarding irrational decisions people make.    Try reading "Predictably Irrational" by Dan Ariely, a simply brilliant book.

I still think he should GET the same tip in the 1000 baht and 6000 baht rooms, but expect the room to influence his expectations.   Economics is not perfectly rational, as people are involved.