hank75

Pre paid credit card

So I don't use a US credit card in Thailand so hard for me to speak but I know I can use my chip card anywhere without identification , pin etc. Of course the moment my CC is swiped , I get a message on my phone that the card is being used and the place an amount. And I do mean instantaneously . But that is a CC while a Debit card is completely different and requires a pin no matter where you use it.

cash can be stolen and I still like using it as it helps to keep fiscal discipline, If I have 1000 on me I can't spent more. If I have plastic impulsive shopping may kick in.

Sure , everybody will jump that  they are not succumbing to impulsive shopping but I have question- how come there's so much useless and unused stuff in our closets , attics and garages ?

17 hours ago, Scooby said:

So I don't use a US credit card in Thailand so hard for me to speak but I know I can use my chip card anywhere without identification , pin etc. Of course the moment my CC is swiped , I get a message on my phone that the card is being used and the place an amount. And I do mean instantaneously . But that is a CC while a Debit card is completely different and requires a pin no matter where you use it.

But once the debit card is used, the cash is instantly gone from your account. With a regular credit card (those issued by US banks anyway) you have significantly enhanced fraud and other protections than debit cards afford. And most credit cards allow accumulation of points or cash-back option. 

Using a Credit Card is OK for purchases overseas. So long at the CC Co. is not charging you Fee!! I use my CapitalOne Card that has no foreign currency fee and a good exchange rate.

But I would never use a CC to withdraw money. That is a Cash Advance and gets charged a hugh fee, something like USD50. So it is to the ATM with my Trusty Debit Card. The ATM fee from the foreign bank is reimbursed by my Bank. And the transaction is protected by VISA.

CHEERS!!!

On 2/26/2019 at 6:02 PM, hank75 said:

For boys who travel, I believe the customer purchases the ticket following agreement with the boy and sends him flight details by email/Line. They are surprisingly vulnerable, no credit cards, data roaming, little cash, unable to read English and sometimes put on to China air carriers where flight attendants do not speak Thai or English - I was amazed at how trusting they were, boarding a plane with little more than faith they would be collected and looked after at the other end. Yes I agree, some boys are completely fearless and business savvy - within 15 minutes landing and they are advertising on Grindr. But not all of them are like that.

My experience is rather the opposite. Two recent cases:

Boy from Nakon Sawan is in Bangkok and lives 3 km away from. He wants to meet, but after 2 months in Bangkok doesn't know how to get around. I send him detailed instructions (it's a straight ride by bus): "I don't know. Can yo come here?"

Another one lives on the purple line MRT, but has never taken MRT! He wants to meet, but "I don't know. Can you come here and pick me up?"

NO I WONT! That level of stupdity/idiocy/unwillingness to learn is huge turn-off for me. After reading such bullshit, my interest in that boy is gone for the day (but depending on boy and circumstances, I will try another day and if I can combine it with other activities, or are horny, might go to pick him up).

On 2/26/2019 at 9:07 PM, Scooby said:

Age does not necessarily make an adult .

Absolutely. Or as I put it in less favorable way: Most Thais' mental development stops between age 12 and 15, but their physical development does not stop (meaning, their body gets older). I wish it was the other way round: their physical development stops at age 20, and their mental development continues.

That somehow you want to twist what I said into your racist attitude pisses me off. Ridiculous , it is exactly what racists would try to say about African Americans in my country. How is it  all the fine Doctors, Dentists , Lawyers , Business Owners etc in Thailand did not cease to have mental development at the age of 15.

Opportunity is the main ingredient  for mental development. Apparently your luck of the draw did not do anything for yours!

23 minutes ago, Scooby said:

Opportunity is the main ingredient  for mental development.

Well said and it's why free and accessible schooling is so important ( by accessible I'd don't mean an escalator but rather proximity, when one travels in 3rd world countries children walking distances to and from school can be seen on the roads )

10 hours ago, ChristianPFC said:

My experience is rather the opposite. Two recent cases:

Boy from Nakon Sawan is in Bangkok and lives 3 km away from. He wants to meet, but after 2 months in Bangkok doesn't know how to get around. I send him detailed instructions (it's a straight ride by bus): "I don't know. Can yo come here?"

Another one lives on the purple line MRT, but has never taken MRT! He wants to meet, but "I don't know. Can you come here and pick me up?"

NO I WONT! That level of stupdity/idiocy/unwillingness to learn is huge turn-off for me. After reading such bullshit, my interest in that boy is gone for the day (but depending on boy and circumstances, I will try another day and if I can combine it with other activities, or are horny, might go to pick him up).

This might be pure stupidity or it maybe an unwillingness to invest time and money in traveling to see you.

On the MRT, it is clear that the occasional Thai customer has no clue at all how to do simple things like putting coins in a vending machine to purchase a ticket.  Remarkable.

I don't particularly want to get drawn into any debate about mental development, however if there were any issue, it would be purely cultural and not racial.   I guarantee that if you had Thais adopted and educated in Singapore, they would on average achieve the same standards that the Singapore people do.     

So any issues with Thai education are likely to be due to culture and the standard of teaching.     Not race.

Yes we can talk about cultural, ethnicity, race etc. Bottom line Most Thal's as Christian PFC used the term do not stop learning at the age of 12-15. It is a ridiculous assertion that clearly in my mind is racist. 

Best dentist I ever had and I've had a few was in Pattaya and all his children were sent to the best Uninversaties in Great Britain. They were lucky !!!  Just like some the best Doctors I have experienced were in Bumrungrad in BKK.  Unfortunately many, even most of the boys we hire for Sex have not in most cases been lucky enough to attend good schools and Universities . But many in the country have and they represent a cross section of all types of vocations in Thailand.

Is it true that the education system in Thailand could be much better . Of course it is , just like the education system in many big cities in the US could be better. Does that mean mental development stops at age 13-15. Of course not ! And I see no other way to interpret it then being racist or just plain thinking that  Thai people are stupid. Of course these are the same stupid boys that Christian loves to pay at the bottom of accepted pay scale and probably below when he can get away with it..

I think the overwhelming % of members here respect the Thai People and in many case warm liaisons are made between  them and I don't think many members think the boys they pay for sex are stupid . If they do I feel sorry for them.

The guys I’ve met in bars, clubs and massage shops never came across as victims of arrested development. Regardless of whether they’re fromThailand or the surrounding countries,  they’ve managed to make the best of whatever education they had. More so, they show themselves frequently to be very quick studies.

You have to have initiative and some strong resolve to leave your family behind and strike out on your own in the big city. No, not all fare well but that’s no different wherever in the world you come from.

I’ve come to respect a lot of these guys.

i don’t shop on line but I suspect there’s little difference.

16 hours ago, ChristianPFC said:

Most Thais' mental development stops between age 12 and 15, but their physical development does not stop (meaning, their body gets older). I wish it was the other way round: their physical development stops at age 20, and their mental development continues.

Oh dear.  This is not the first time you've made a scathing, reprehensible and grossly exaggerated generalisation about "most Thais". For someone who claims to be a scientist, your assertions are ironically unscientific and not based on solid empirical evidence that would justify its application on "most Thais".  From reading your posts, I gather that your interactions with Thai people have been limited in scope and diversity.  You judge the people you meet in terms of how they would fit in your mold of how they should be instead of taking them as they are.  You seem to lack empathy for people and their circumstances and are quick to judge them based on some biased, singular yardstick and fail to acknowledge that every individual is made up of many parts with their own gifts and flaws. On Sawatdee Network, you described 95% of the gay Thais you've had contact with as "stupid, lazy, greedy creatures". I've told you this before and I will tell you again:  you should ask yourself why you seem to have an inordinate amount of negative encounters with Thai boys when the experiences of others have been quite the opposite.  After all, you are the common denominator in these encounters.

And lastly, be careful what you wish for - if your average Thai guy turns into your average Singaporean, Hong Konger or Japanese, it's unlikely that he'll  give you the time of day.

Thanks all for your replies, especially sglad.

18 hours ago, Scooby said:

How is it  all the fine Doctors, Dentists , Lawyers , Business Owners etc in Thailand did not cease to have mental development at the age of 15.

Opportunity is the main ingredient  for mental development. Apparently your luck of the draw did not do anything for yours!

I said "most Thais" and I correct this to "most Thais I try to get into bed". I have met honest, intelligent, hard working Thais, but they are the minority.

There are scientifc studies [citation needed] that about half of a person's success in education is determined by genes, and about half is determined by social influences.

Why do Thai trains not run on time? There is no traffic jam, everything can be planned to the minute, for days, weeks months in advance, but why are most trains late?

When I travel out of tourist areas, I am sometimes approached by children, who out of curiosity want to talk with me. Let's assume they study English at school [is it compulsory? how many hours per week?], but their level varies considerably. Most of them just bring out "hello", "good morning teacher" regardless of time of day, and I have been greeted "fuck you" a few times (not literally, not as an insult, they were just proud to use the one English sentence they know). But a few would start and could hold a conversation over several correct sentences. Blame it on the educational system or the majority of the population not being talented for foreign languages (that would be the genetic influence mentioned above).

Look what people of all ages on public transport are doing on their mobile phones, mostly playing games. A stage that I overcome around age 15.

More so, they show themselves frequently to be very quick studies.

I have met plenty who are unwilling to learn useful things, like using the bus or the MRT. Whatever you call it when a 20 year old from upcountry, who has been in Bangkok for 2 months, does not know how to and does not want to use the bus, I call it STUPID.

I remain by my statement, re-worded: For most Thais I try to get into bed, mental development stopped between age 12 and 15, but their body continues to age. I wish their body stopped ageing at 20 and their brain developed further.

That's my opinion, based on five years of traveling and dating in Thailand. But I'm open for other explanations of the behavior/conditions I observed. My slight Asperger Autism [self-diagnosed and confirmed by friends] might explain that I see things different from most forum members and in a way that is not politically correct. Or I have been unlucky and met the wrong boys (5 years long), but for the trains there is a website that shows delays, and even trains I'm not on are delayed, so it's not me.

2 hours ago, ChristianPFC said:

Thanks all for your replies, especially sglad.

I said "most Thais" and I correct this to "most Thais I try to get into bed". I have met honest, intelligent, hard working Thais, but they are the minority.

There are scientifc studies [citation needed] that about half of a person's success in education is determined by genes, and about half is determined by social influences.

Why do Thai trains not run on time? There is no traffic jam, everything can be planned to the minute, for days, weeks months in advance, but why are most trains late?

When I travel out of tourist areas, I am sometimes approached by children, who out of curiosity want to talk with me. Let's assume they study English at school [is it compulsory? how many hours per week?], but their level varies considerably. Most of them just bring out "hello", "good morning teacher" regardless of time of day, and I have been greeted "fuck you" a few times (not literally, not as an insult, they were just proud to use the one English sentence they know). But a few would start and could hold a conversation over several correct sentences. Blame it on the educational system or the majority of the population not being talented for foreign languages (that would be the genetic influence mentioned above).

Look what people of all ages on public transport are doing on their mobile phones, mostly playing games. A stage that I overcome around age 15.

I have met plenty who are unwilling to learn useful things, like using the bus or the MRT. Whatever you call it when a 20 year old from upcountry, who has been in Bangkok for 2 months, does not know how to and does not want to use the bus, I call it STUPID.

I remain by my statement, re-worded: For most Thais I try to get into bed, mental development stopped between age 12 and 15, but their body continues to age. I wish their body stopped ageing at 20 and their brain developed further.

That's my opinion, based on five years of traveling and dating in Thailand. But I'm open for other explanations of the behavior/conditions I observed. My slight Asperger Autism [self-diagnosed and confirmed by friends] might explain that I see things different from most forum members and in a way that is not politically correct. Or I have been unlucky and met the wrong boys (5 years long), but for the trains there is a website that shows delays, and even trains I'm not on are delayed, so it's not me.

So much that is wrong with everything you say in this post . The stubbornness not to look at your opinions and wonder if it is you that see RED when the rest of us see Green. You bring up Autism ( self diagnosed) only after you are attacked by myself and others for your statements that actually mimic the Ku Klux Klan. You talk about your 5 years of traveling in Thailand like it makes you an expert. I have been traveling in Thailand for 34 years as well as much of the rest of the world. 

You go to small towns where of course the education system is likely to be more basic and then base your biased opinions on what you see there . You avoid BKK because the boys you seek for Sex are more expensive and in many cases more likely to see you for the racist that you are. You have no idea about educated Thais because you avoid them like the plague. You are afraid you might meet a Thai who is far smarter then you and more educated and then would not fit in with your opinion of Thai people

I believe your home country which I think is Germany has a sad history of Bigotry . Yet I who have travelled extensively in Germany have never thought to attack Germans as lacking in intelligence because they were so easily led by a MadMan. 

But of course I realize I am wasting my breath trying to argue with you about your opinions of Thai people because you need to feel superior to the people you interact with and in your mind that is easier in the countryside villages of Thailand.

for the trains there is a website that shows delays, and even trains I'm not on are delayed, so it's not me.

Although that website is great in theory, in practice it is unreliable.  

Having spent 11 baht on my ticket from Udon Thani to Nong Khai, I went to the station and the display said the train was delayed until 12:41.    The website showed the train at another station further south, backing up what was on the in station display.    So I went for a coffee and returned at just after 12:30.    The train had already been through the station & I had missed it, even though the refreshed website STILL shows the train is south of Udon Thani.    Then it updated to show the train well north of Udon Thani.

So neither the in station display nor the website was reliable.  

When I travelled from Khon Kaen to Udon, the digital display in the station was quoting a 20 minute delay and that on the website was showing a 40 minute delay.    In this case the website was accurate and the display in the station was not.

2 hours ago, witty said:

The malady inherent in some Thais could be the result of indifference and laziness. 

And this malady is not uncommon among non-Thais:

“How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take that splinter out of your eye,' when all the while you yourself do not see the beam in your own eye?’ “

I see things different from most forum members and in a way that is not politically correct. Or I have been unlucky and met the wrong boys.........

I don’t give any credence to political correctness, either. But I don’t think this is a matter of PC attitudes. I believe it’s more a matter of simply being open to not judging Thais—or other SE Asians—by the same scale we might employ at home. 

Have you been unlucky? It certainly seems possible that your expectations and methods have not met with a hell of a lot of success. 

You’re entitled to rationalize your experiences in any manner you choose. But you shouldn’t be surprised when others stress very different views. 

WOW how did this thread get so far off Pre-paid Cards???

I am more a visitor to the Philippines but I was interested in how I could help a long time Filipino friend buy things to start a small business. It seemed better to send him a Pre-Paid Debit Card than have him carry around Cash. I could load it up and he could make purchases as needed.

So based on this discussion I read up on Pre-Paid Cards in the Philippines. What I found out is there are a several but they all are limited by Fees. Either a Monthly fee, a fee to put money on the Card, a fee to withdraw money from the Card. So I quickly saw no advantage. It is on to sending Money Transfers...

Take Care!!

Usage of cards are still in its infacy in many SEA countries, with the exception of big cities, many small stores and shops and restaurants still only accept cash. So, unless your friend lived in the big cities and shops/dine at big restaurants and malls/supermarket, chances are they cant use those cards as much as they'd like. I can go out without cash in my pocket in the US without any issue but id be foolish to do that in KL for example. Granted that in big cities, usage of cards are getting better, some small shops and even big electronic shops are imposing self made rules for using cards. For example, some small mart are imposing minimum spend of rm50 for usage of credit card, and some electronic shops are passing the 2.5% fee to the customer (its illegal to do this but they always gets away by instead of charging u the fee, they give discount if u pay cash) 

If the reason u want to give prepaid cc is specific, for example for him to use to buy furniture in ikea, or for him to buy designer clothing or for him to pay for big ticket items in a store that will accept credit cards, or for travelling in a country where cards is widely acceptable, then id say go for it. It will prevent the money to be spent on unnessary stuff, so thats might be helpful.

22 minutes ago, spoon said:

If the reason u want to give prepaid cc is specific, for example for him to use to buy furniture in ikea, or for him to buy designer clothing or for him to pay for big ticket items in a store that will accept credit cards, or for travelling in a country where cards is widely acceptable, then id say go for it. It will prevent the money to be spent on unnessary stuff, so thats might be helpful.

Hi spoon, all very good points. I was thinking in terms of a travel or medical related emergency, rather than Ikea! Boy is also quite responsible so I trust him not to splurge on big ticket items. 

Has anyone bought a gold necklace for boy before and what is the price for one of decent quality? I am increasingly thinking it may be better to offer a “gift”. I do not want to give him cash outright as that may affect expectations of his regular tip.

Recently I heard of a China customer who “sponsored” his boy to stop work and gave him a card from a Chinese bank. The card had no name, only a string of numbers and Union Pay logo, but apart from this was a proper glossy chipped card from a big banking corporation. At first I found this very unusual but now thinking back, this must have been an ATM card rather than a personalised credit card, that boy could withdraw his monthly salary with. Because of China money transfer restrictions, the customer must have felt this was the best way to fund the boy. 

4 hours ago, GWMinUS said:

So based on this discussion I read up on Pre-Paid Cards in the Philippines. What I found out is there are a several but they all are limited by Fees. Either a Monthly fee, a fee to put money on the Card, a fee to withdraw money from the Card. So I quickly saw no advantage. It is on to sending Money Transfers...

Money transfers incur fees, too, though..... just saying....

3 hours ago, anddy said:

Money transfers incur fees, too, though..... just saying....

A money transfer incurrs fees at the time of the transfer only.   If I read this correctly, the pre-paid currency cards you refer to have a monthly fee.  Such recurring fees tend to add up & are to be avoided in my opinion.

And if you are moving onto money transfers, well Transferwise could be a good option.   This does depend on where you are, as last year I discovered whilst I can send money to Malaysia via Transferwise, they do not yet have an option to send money from Malaysia to the UK.   I believe people in Europe and the US can send money to a fairly long list of countries. 

Also, some currency transfer sites make you sign up for an account before they show you what the rates are, which tend to be a disappointment.  If you go to the Transferwise site, you can see what the transfer will cost you within a few seconds.