Jasper

THAI cancels all flights to Europe

Wow! I was really lucky there.  My flight to BKK was on Tuesday! 

Am I going to be stranded in BKK ? :shok:

There was a cute cabin crew on my flight.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

All Thai Airways International flights between Thailand and Europe were cancelled Wednesday night and early Thursday after Pakistan closed its airspace.

Initial flights cancelled were four from Suvarnabhumi - TG974 to Moscow, TG954 to Oslo, TG930 to Paris, and TG916 to London - and TG296 from Phuket to Frankfurt.

But the number of cancelled flights rose quickly, and it appeared all flights between Europe and Thailand would be grounded. Swiss Airlines quickly cancelled its scheduled flight to Zurich.

Flights from Europe to Thailand were almost certain to be affected as well. The flight cancellations also will affect other airports in Southeast and East Asia.

Thai Airways International president Sumeth Damrongchaitham described the situation as an emergency, and called an urgent meeting of top airline officials. He said one obvious stopgap measure was to change the routing of flights between Thailand and Europe - not a trivial task.

The situation affects 13 THAI flights to and from Copenhagen, Oslo, Brussels, Paris, Moscow, Frankfurt, Munich, Zurich, Stockholm, London (Heathrow), Rome, Milan and Vienna.

As of Wednesday afternoon, the Indian government also closed that country's airspace over parts of the northern India, according to Rakesh Asthana, the director general of the Bureau of Civil Aviation and Security. It was not immediately clear if that would also affect air traffic between Europe and Thailand.

THAI cancelled all three of its scheduled flights to Pakistan on Thursday, and the Iranian airline announced cancellation of its flight from Bangkok to Tehran.

Earlier on Wednesday, the Thai embassy in Islamabad had issued a travel warning that advised all Thai travellers to avoid trips to Kashmir, the epicentre of the Indian-Thai dispute and military clashes.

Brussels-based Eurocontrol, which coordinates the airspace of 41 nations, told airlines in a bulletin that Pakistan’s airspace was closed "with immediate effect".

The airspace closures came as the two countries reported sharp clashes including the reported downing of two Indian warplanes inside Pakistan.

Tension has been elevated since a suicide car bombing by Pakistan-based militants in Indian-controlled Kashmir killed at least 40 Indian paramilitary police on Feb 14.

These flights (below) all had been cancelled as of midnight Wednesday.

Other airports including Phuket and Don Mueang, also were affected, and all passengers in Thailand booked on flights heading west are advised to check their flight before heading for the airport on Thursday.

3114838.jpg

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1636186/thai-cancels-all-flights-to-europe

Also on BBC 

ACC30609-7C7F-44A2-AE65-970434F70859.thumb.jpeg.22d8ee32fa8b8121f8bbfcfbadd870ce.jpeg

TAGS

Guess the real world intrudes...this is serious stuff and there is the possibility of getting worse in the near term as one nations has a new and untested leader and the other' leader is in a race for re-election.   Both nations have a history of fighting...difference now from the last time is that they are both nuclear powers.  Probably a boost for the Gulf airlines.

Flights from BKK to western Europe typically pass over northern Pakistan, as I have observed on the display screen.

I was recently on such a flight which avoided Pakistani airspace by flying south of Pakistan and almost over Dubai, adding 1.5 hours to the trip.   The pilot declared the reasons for this when we landed, but it was obvious from about 30-60 min after take off that we were heading further south than normal.

We were disembarking when the return flight was due to board, so I imagine that had a 0.5-1 hour delay in departing, plus whatever they might have lost with detours.