Guest guest_BenG1000

Airport

For anyone who is mobile, the furthest gate is only a few minutes walk to immigration.   Max ~ 400m which should be <5 minutes.   I welcome the exercise both as a means to preserve my mobility AND to scoot past all the people who got off the plane before me.   

Walking as much as possible is a good approach to life.   For those who cannot walk, they have electric buggies.

I also get a good walk before departing.  My EVA flight will usually depart from concourse E or F.   I usually walk all the way down to concourse B at the other end, have a coffee at Starbucks and walk back to the departure gate.

Regarding taxis, I do not disagree with what others have said, with a caveat.

I have not used a taxi from the airport for several years because of problems I experienced several years ago .

Once a too-long taxi que. Twice drivers who did not know where the hotel was. One took me to a hotel of a similar-ish name. The other I realized was heading some place that was not my hotel. In both cases I was able to get things back on track by giving them the name of the nearest Skytrain station and then directing them myself when we got there. 

My Thai business counterparts told me that too many taxi drivers were new to Bangkok and did not really know the city.

This was quite a few years back, so it may no longer apply. 

However, since those experiences I have willingly paid-up to ensure no que and a driver who knows where I am going.

On 3/7/2019 at 10:33 AM, BenG1000 said:

Hey Peter, from what I can find it's across from gate D4?

There seem to be dozens of maps of the arrivals area but none is accurate. Seems to me the Fast Track is closer to D5, so let's just say it is between D4 and D5. Perhaps the easiest way to recognise it is that it is -

- between the two main Immigration Halls

- very close to the visa on arrival channel, so there will be lots of passengers filling forms close to the Fast Track entrance.

However, from what other posters have been writing, it seems there may be another THAI only Fast Track. I have never heard of this or used it. Since THAI issue e-boarding passes, if you do not have a physical ticket perhaps best just to use the general dedicated Fast Track lane. I have never once had to show any physical ticket there - only the Fast Track coupon. Admittedly these are issued by each airline and that is obvious on the coupon. In dozens of arrivals (including on THAI) these have always been handed out on the aircraft and never by the ground staff on arrival. Unless the whole system has changed since my last arrival a couple of weeks ago, there is no notice at the entrance advising that it is not for use by TG passengers. Besides, TG flights do sometimes arrive at the west gates. It's a much longer walk to the East Immigration lines, and I cannot believe THAI passengers have to go all that way for a dedicated THAI biz class channel. But I stand to be corrected on that. 

2 hours ago, PeterRS said:

However, from what other posters have been writing, it seems there may be another THAI only Fast Track. I have never heard of this or used it. Since THAI issue e-boarding passes, if you do not have a physical ticket perhaps best just to use the general dedicated Fast Track lane. I have never once had to show any physical ticket there - only the Fast Track coupon. Admittedly these are issued by each airline and that is obvious on the coupon. In dozens of arrivals (including on THAI) these have always been handed out on the aircraft and never by the ground staff on arrival. Unless the whole system has changed since my last arrival a couple of weeks ago, there is no notice at the entrance advising that it is not for use by TG passengers. Besides, TG flights do sometimes arrive at the west gates. It's a much longer walk to the East Immigration lines, and I cannot believe THAI passengers have to go all that way for a dedicated THAI biz class channel. But I stand to be corrected on that. 

yeah I wouldn't 100% vouch for anything I said in this regard (though I HAVE seen the Thai Royal Silk sign at the main immigration hall(s?). Having said that, there seem to have been multiple changes to the whole system in recent months. First they did away with the big, boarding pass sized brown premium lane vouchers and replaced them with small blue ones with airline stamp, date, flight number. They were both called "Premium LANE", but now it appears those lanes are called "FAST TRACK". Or are there both now? A "fast track" and a separate one possibly still called "premium lane" for TG passengers? I have no idea. 

To OP: best is to just ask some ground staff where to go

Can confirm that what was formerly known as priority lane  is now called fast track operated by contractor. I believe it accommodates all carriers that subscribe to it. 

The fast track pass card you are given by airline is now collected before you are admitted to immigration agent queues. 

Otherwise, it seemed to function as old system. 

You can also pre-pay for service if you don’t get it as perk.

https://bangkokfasttrack.com/

Guest guest_BenG1000

First of all, thank you for all your replies and advice!

But OMG I'm getting confused now hahaha. Hmmmmm, run the risk and rely on Thai Airways to give me a pass or fork out money for a company that knows the system inside out and have no worries. If there's anyone who flew TG business recently, please get in touch! 

3 hours ago, cam84william said:

Hi, I'll be arriving around 18:30 business class with Vietnam Airlines.  I can't find any information regarding whether they offer a priority service through immigration.  Any help would be appreciated.

Some airlines have withdrawn their priority service for business class passengers. This is because airlines have to pay for each passenger using those priority entrances. Check directly with a Vietnam Airlines office otherwise you will probably get the runaround with different people saying different things.

3 hours ago, anddy said:

yeah I wouldn't 100% vouch for anything I said in this regard (though I HAVE seen the Thai Royal Silk sign at the main immigration hall(s?). Having said that, there seem to have been multiple changes to the whole system in recent months. First they did away with the big, boarding pass sized brown premium lane vouchers and replaced them with small blue ones with airline stamp, date, flight number. They were both called "Premium LANE", but now it appears those lanes are called "FAST TRACK". Or are there both now? A "fast track" and a separate one possibly still called "premium lane" for TG passengers? I have no idea. 

Seems there is definitely a Fast Track Service within the East Immigration Hall specifically for THAI passengers. This photo was posted on the ThaiViss forum some months ago -

1303258867_BKKfasttrack.jpg.fe82bc19cc5e9bd849b01e1eafb5513d.thumb.jpg.04cff86325812da61928081995c45d8b.jpg

As for the names given to the Fast Track lanes, I understood = and asI have seen for some time now - that the other dedicated channel between the east and west Immigration areas uses Priority Lane for both outgoing and incoming flights. But irrespective of name, it will either be Priority, Premium or Fast Track. As with the above question, why don't you just call THAI Airlines and ask them to find out for you. No guarantee, of course, that someone with actual knowledge will answer you. But the ground staff at the entrance to the aircraft as you disembark will. 

7 hours ago, cam84william said:

Hi, I'll be arriving around 18:30 business class with Vietnam Airlines.  I can't find any information regarding whether they offer a priority service through immigration.  Any help would be appreciated.

Just did this flight last week (expect to be late...all of my VN flights were late). Yes, VN gives you access to the fast track immigration line. I believe they gave me the fast track pass when I checked in at SGN.

BenG1000 - tons of well meaning and good advice here.  Read it, process it, file it ready to use as the circumstances demand/allow. One is always learning...example, after lots of arrivals, I never thought about just walking out and taking a taxi that is dropping someone off.  

Your Thai business class flight staff will tell you where to use your expedited immigration status.  It was in the main arrival hall when I used it.  The access across from gate 4 is for diplomats monks, and other airlines business/first.  I use that when I arrive on ANA.

23 hours ago, reader said:

You can also pre-pay for service if you don’t get it as perk.

https://bangkokfasttrack.com/

FINALLY someone posts a link where to book that service! I've heard it being talked about for a LONG time, even by people I met in person who have used it, but I never bothered to really find out how to actually book it haha. If I remember correctly one person I met in person said it was an option on the airline's website when booking the ticket. 

Anyway, thanks @reader :) 

edit: checked the price there, it says USD 99 for VIP Meet & Assist for international arrival. If I remember correctly (but again not 100% sure on this) someone told me it was only USD 30. Are there different channels to book such service and different service providers with different prices? Anyone know?

edit 2: their service rate does not apply to economy class passengers, they ask to make special arrangements (and probably prices):
image.png.17d875a2848eaccf07bbd4054ff0383d.png

To me, that implies they don't actually provide the fast track access, just assist in finding the way there and stuff. Well, I don't need a baby sitter or handler... 

21 hours ago, BenG1000 said:

First of all, thank you for all your replies and advice!

But OMG I'm getting confused now hahaha. Hmmmmm, run the risk and rely on Thai Airways to give me a pass or fork out money for a company that knows the system inside out and have no worries. If there's anyone who flew TG business recently, please get in touch! 

Don't you worry, with Thai business class YOU WILL get fast track  - whatever it's actual name will be, point being you won't have to wait in general queues. Ask staff where it is if need be.

Also, you might want to ask the flight attendants about it when they hand out the arrival cards. 

19 hours ago, PeterRS said:

But irrespective of name, it will either be Priority, Premium or Fast Track. 

to add to the confusion LOL:

I believe "priority" is again separate and different from "premium" or "fast track" and designated for people with disabilities, with small children or the elderly. Again, not 100% sure, as I see those signs often in passing but never pay enough attention to actually register where they are and what exactly what they say. Just concerned with getting through immigration ASAP lol

4 hours ago, BenG1000 said:

Hahaaa, yes time is crucial ... I need to get to Moonlight to see Mr Lucky :lol:

pray that after all that rush he will be there

4 hours ago, anddy said:

edit: checked the price there, it says USD 99 for VIP Meet & Assist for international arrival.

I rather stand 1 hr in line and spend that money   on overnight consolator 

5 hours ago, anddy said:

to add to the confusion LOL:

I believe "priority" is again separate and different from "premium" or "fast track" and designated for people with disabilities, with small children or the elderly. Again, not 100% sure,

Incorrect. In the main Priority Lane (whatever the actual title but I believe it is "Premium" or "Priority") the same entrance caters for first and biz class passengers with passes from their airlines, over 70s, APEC Business Travel Card holders, diplomats, air crew, Privilege Pass holders (which I believe means the Thai Elite programme members).

12 hours ago, anddy said:

edit: checked the price there, it says USD 99 for VIP Meet & Assist for international arrival. If I remember correctly (but again not 100% sure on this) someone told me it was only USD 30. Are there different channels to book such service and different service providers with different prices? Anyone know?

Many different services...google "BKK arrival services".  Here is a link to one I've used...700 THB to meet at gate but no cart.  Meet with cart is 1400 THB.

On 3/7/2019 at 9:20 PM, anddy said:

If you have Thai Baht cash already on you (which you need anyway to pay driver), then you can use a 1000-Baht note at the toll booth as a convenient way of getting smaller bills to pay the driver. 

This is the sort of relevant info I wish I’d had in January! Fortunately hotel staff helped me out with the taxi change on arrival but I was a bit embarrassed. 

On the subject of fast track, I arrived with Emirates not Thai. Fast track card was handed out on the plane and there were airport staff and signs to direct me once in the terminal. It was fairly straight forward and not at all confusing. Except for the entrance visa signs which worried me because I thought I’d missed something but I didn’t need one. 

On 3/9/2019 at 7:32 PM, PeterRS said:

Incorrect. In the main Priority Lane (whatever the actual title but I believe it is "Premium" or "Priority") the same entrance caters for first and biz class passengers with passes from their airlines, over 70s, APEC Business Travel Card holders, diplomats, air crew, Privilege Pass holders (which I believe means the Thai Elite programme members).

hmm, again I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure there is a separate line for the 70+/disabilities/small children, that is to the RIGHT of the main immigration lines, whereas the Thai business class is to the left. I know this because I recently used it when traveling with a friend who had sprained his foot on our trio and had requested wheelchair service at arrival. We were ushered to the right hand side. As for the labeling of that lane versus the other(s), I really don't know/remember....

Go on Grindr a couple days before arrival.

Find a boy.

Venmo an advance.

He'll be right there at Swampy to meet you and run interference. 

Make out with hands down each other's pants for the hour's cab drive into town.

Shower together after a quick LeMeridien check in.

Walk hand in hand to ScrewBoys where you'll say thanks and goodbye.  

EaszyPeazy.  :)

(one can dream, right? - yeah, yeah, I know all the "that can't work" obstacles so please, do NOT reply)

The time to get to Silom will depend on what time of day you arrive, the day of the week and how long you have to wait for your train or taxi.  The traffic around Silom can now be virtually at gridlock in early evening.     Not a problem as I take the train and MRT.

As for change, well when leaving Thailand, I never change any baht back into my own currency, so I always have some small notes for buying the public transport tickets, plus larger notes just in case of unexpected problems.