TotallyOz

Brexit Explained

From today's New York Times "In theory, if there is no agreement by March 29, Britain will depart the European Union without any formal deal."

From what I read to avoid this outcome they might vote to delay exit, presumably to give more time to hash out an agreement, May could put her deal back to a vote closer to the end of the month in another round of brinksmanship (brinkswomanship?), and then there are those who want to put the hole thing back for another vote.  

So as a disinterested outsider, seems like pretty much anything can happen with 16 days to go on such an important thing.

6 hours ago, vinapu said:

Margaret Thatcher and her purse are rolling in her grave

Here we have Mrs Thatcher campaigning to stay in the European Common Market in 1975.   

_88402949_de39_ps.jpg

It's been such a long time I have forgotten many of the facts. But I seem to remember  it was a terrible turn out of voters that started this mess.. When people don't take seriously their right to vote, you end up with Brexit and Trump!

Turnout was around 72% which is slightly better than a typical general election. No idea what is going to happen as both Government and Parliament appear to have their own interests at the forefront and not the interests of the UK. Totally sick of all the lies being told by both sides. It’s time that there were serious repercussions for deliberate lies or misrepresentations while an MP.

10 hours ago, Scooby said:

It's been such a long time I have forgotten many of the facts. But I seem to remember  it was a terrible turn out of voters that started this mess.. When people don't take seriously their right to vote, you end up with Brexit and Trump!

Nothing to do with that.    Of course, parts of the pro-EU media like to assume that all the voters who didn't turn out would vote to stay in the EU.   They have no evidence to back this up.

Well the fact is, the non-voters decided it didn't matter if we were in or out.

Roughly speaking, there are advantages and disadvantages to being in the EU.   My main objection was and remains excessive NET UK payments to the EU.   Double the NET contribution of France.  

After the complete mess our MPs have made of Brexit, if there was another referendum, I imagine we would have something like 55% voting to remain & to never let our bungling MPs loose on this again.   

However, since over half the Conservative party AND the leader of the opposition would prefer to leave the EU (he follows Labour policies of circa 1983), I'm not sure we will get such a referendum.